breast-feeding question

Welcome to Forumosa's corner for moms and dads to talk about the issues involved in parenting in Taiwan.

Moderator: 914

Re: breast-feeding question

Postby Teddoman » 29 May 2012, 08:23

6 months is recommended to attain the basic benefits of bf, as I recall, but obviously you can go as many years as you are willing. And any amount is better than none.

Although it's her first time, she will feel relieved to know that millions have encountered the same problems before her...and resolved them successfully. It just takes a little digging to find the right nugget of information you may need to resolve your particular problem as it appears to you. LLL email mailing lists are really useful for getting quality little nuggets of info like that to help you. Taipei should have one.

Make sure you're taking as much off of her shoulders as you can so she can sneak in more naps. Rest is an important component of milk production.
Teddoman
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

12 Recommends(s)
10 Recognized(s)

Postby asiababy » 29 May 2012, 14:49

Vay,

One really big issue with breastfeeding is, it's made out to be all romantic and lovely, bonding with baby and clean and gorgeous. It's not. I was OUTRAGED when I discovered it was tiring, messy, painful, lonely, and a constant struggle to get right. I wanted to write to every single baby magazine I had read and tell them, please post pictures of women with black circles under their eyes, spit-up all over themselves, tears of frustation running down their cheeks. The romantic notions we were given set me up with such high expectations. I was determined to stick it out, but I can see how many women give up in those first weeks. I was lucky that I went to the playgroup and there were lots of women with experience and currently nursing, so they could offer assistance and see the light at the end of the tunnel. Your wife may feel this way, too. It's really hard at first, especially with the first child.

The first few weeks are really, really hard. If your wife can make it to about 8 weeks, she will probably last the long-haul. If she feels pumping is easier than nursing, she may well not have the technique right and could well benefit from a visit from someone, popping along to the meeting, or even just coming along to Parents' Place in Neihu for the open play tomorrow. (Angie will be there and she is very helpful and understanding of all the challenges, so she won't make anyone feel like they are asking silly questions or unecessarily uncooperative. She also is willing to help with transition if things are working against the mom and baby - some can be too gung-ho and not see when it's time to find other options.) We'll be there from 10am till 12 noon. At least one other nursing mom will be there.

Another thing you could do is contact Angie and ask her to do a post-partum visit for a small fee. She could then help you all in the privacy of your own home. This sounds a bit like an ad, but she is not only a good friend but I truly respect what she does and many families have great things to say. Not only that, she really has a "thing" for helping new moms nurse successfully. She'd be happy to help. This is her website: http://www.beautifulbeginnings.com.tw/page/page/5969587.htm
Family-friendly events and destinations Taiwan-wide. http://kidzone-tw.blogspot.com/
asiababy
Martyr's Shrine Guard (zhōngliècí wèibīng)
Martyr's Shrine Guard (zhōngliècí wèibīng)

2 Recommends(s)
46 Recognized(s)

Postby blliao » 11 Jun 2012, 02:29

The American Academy of Pediatrics, WHO, and numerous other medical groups recommend 6 months of EXCLUSIVE breastfeeding, that means no water or formula. After 6 months, other foods and liquids can be introduced, although the benefits of breastmilk last well beyond six months. The WHO recommends nursing for a minimum of 2 years, and then as long as mom and baby desire. Breastfeeding can be difficult the first month or so as it is a new skill that two take part in (and one of those parties is also learning how to breathe and poop on their own simultaneously - and in a completely foreign environment to them - so quite a lot to process!). If you can get past the learning curve (and I had my own several weeks of tears and frustration), I personally have found nursing to be a very easy and relaxing way to parent my child. I have never enjoyed pumping and found nursing to be much more efficient.

I think support is crucial. If your wife is Chinese-speaking, the local Taiwan Breastfeeding Association at www.breastfeeding.org.tw have some really lovely members. La Leche League has Chinese-speaking groups that are active in central and southern Taiwan. And finally, in Taipei, we have an English-speaking breastfeeding support group hosted by Parents' Place (I am the leader). In any of these groups, you will find moms who have been there and just want to help out other moms.

Finally, if you'd like professional help, there is a list of International Board Certified Lactation Consultants (an international certification through the auspices of the WHO) in Taiwan can be downloaded at: http://www.bhp.doh.gov.tw/breastfeeding/pdf/IBCLC.xls. This Excel file is in Chinese but is pretty straightforward to figure out. This list was posted on the Department of Health breastfeeding promotion website on 2011-6-10, the file is called: 國際認證泌乳顧問名單. The first IBCLC in Taipei is Dr. Jean Yang at No. 424, Section 2, Zhonghua Road, Wanhua District, Taipei City 108 (near the botanic gardens). She speaks excellent English and her clinic accepts NHI.
Phone: 2303-2450
Email: Youth.clinic@msa.hinet.net
Check out the Nomad Foodie for Taipei restaurant reviews.
blliao
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Previous

Proceed to Parenting