Lifers with Kids

Welcome to Forumosa's corner for moms and dads to talk about the issues involved in parenting in Taiwan.

Moderator: 914

Lifers with Kids

Postby teamblubee » 28 May 2012, 22:29

Hello Forumosa

A lot of foreigners came here to teach English, many stayed and have kids. Now all the English teachers past and present see how the schools are run, from public government schools to the private cram schools and all their different permutations. I'm interested to know how many lifers send their kids to public schools, private schools, home school, or a mix of all and why you decided to send your kids where you did.
teamblubee
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

ORIGINAL POSTER
2 Recognized(s)
In Taiwan since: 25 Oct 2010

Re: Lifers with Kids

Postby imlostinasia » 19 Jun 2012, 06:42

My daughter is currently in Grade 4, going to Grade 5 in August. We decided to send her to a government school and made the decision based on finance and well as the fact that she would be exposed to the Chinese language. In doing so I realized that the system is not perfect. There is no room for individual thought processes and that, frustrates me to no end. I complain about the homework that just goes on and on. I sometimes wonder whether or not to just keep her home in the mornings and send her to a cram school in the afternoons, as that is where most of the work gets done! I'm considering doing some homeschooling with her as well as I found out recently that this is now okay in Taiwan
:ponder: :ponder:
Who are you when nobody is watching?
Forumosan avatar
imlostinasia

4 Recommends(s)

Postby Pingdong » 30 Jul 2012, 04:13

When we finally have a kid, we are not sending them to schools here simply because we need to stay in the general area and the schools are terrible. Being Canadian they can get distance education for free, and do it through internet/mail. We will be doing that and home school. I have told my wife we will move back before we put them in school here, thats my own personal opinion. Nothing against those who send them to schools here, but *here* (pingdong) is somewhere a kids does not belong in school. Its one of the few things I am absolute and without any possibility of bending on.
Pingdong
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)

20 Recommends(s)
52 Recognized(s)

Postby ChewDawg » 30 Jul 2012, 04:19

Pingdong wrote: Being Canadian they can get distance education for free, and do it through internet/mail.

Really? That's odd because they've changed the law in many provinces in Canada now, so that now many distance courses cost money in country (my wife is taking courses and now has to pay).

I couldn't see provinces giving it free to a non-resident that lives in another country. Or if you are a resident and therefore eligible for the programs, doesn't the double tax really hurt on a teacher's salary?
So I got an expresso and a hot burrito!
Forumosan avatar
ChewDawg
Gravel Truck Driver (suìshí chē sījī)
Gravel Truck Driver (suìshí chē sījī)

110 Recommends(s)
93 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Proceed to Parenting