Child Subsidy / Child Benefit from City Government

Welcome to Forumosa's corner for moms and dads to talk about the issues involved in parenting in Taiwan.

Moderator: 914

Postby spaint » 09 Jul 2012, 13:47

My pregnant spouse-to-be has household registration in Taichung, while I am a foreigner on an APRC living in Taipei. We plan to move her household registration to Taipei before having our child, but this makes her ineligible for Taipei's NT$20,000 child subsidy, as you need to have been registered in Taipei for a year before becoming eligible for it.

Technically, either parent can apply, but as a foreigner who has lived here legally for over a decade, paid his taxes on time, has an open work permit with APRC and will be fathering a newborn citizen of the ROC, I'm confident that I will NOT be able to apply for this subsidy on our child's behalf because I clearly don't have household registration. Can anyone confirm my pessimistic interpretation of this situation?
spaint
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)

ORIGINAL POSTER
36 Recommends(s)
22 Recognized(s)

Re: Child Subsidy / Child Benefit from City Government

Postby Adam_CLO » 09 Jul 2012, 14:17

Unfortunately you are correct. I wasn't able to apply in my ARC, as they required a Taiwan ID for the primary registrant. You can find more replies in this topic:

viewtopic.php?f=96&t=106936
Forumosan avatar
Adam_CLO
Street Dog Chaser (zhuīgǎn liúlàng gǒu)
Street Dog Chaser (zhuīgǎn liúlàng gǒu)

24 Recommends(s)
7 Recognized(s)

Postby spaint » 09 Jul 2012, 14:26

Thanks, Adam_CLO. This is precisely the kind of thing that makes me scoff at the people who tell me to 入境隨俗... (and incidentally makes me angry as hell).

Does anyone else have similar experiences? I have no reason to believe the APRC will afford me any advantage over a regular ARC but it's worth checking.
spaint

ORIGINAL POSTER
36 Recommends(s)
22 Recognized(s)

Postby headhonchoII » 09 Jul 2012, 15:18

It's not exactly aimed at foreigners per se. Taiwanese have to get a Hukou too and it's hard to change it unless you have property to your name, if you are not married you often just have to belong to your parents Hukou.

Of course I'm not even sure if you can create your own Hukou by purchasing property as a foreigner, need to check that one.
I can remember the fourth of July runnin' through the backwood bare.
And I can still hear my old hound dog barkin' chasin' down a hoodoo there
Chasin' down a hoodoo there.
headhonchoII
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

1739 Recommends(s)
623 Recognized(s)

Postby L_W » 10 Jul 2012, 15:30

What about that subsidy you can get (60% of the previous wage, I guess) when you leave your job for some time in order to take care of your child?
Can you get that as a foreigner (if you have a baby with an ROC citizen, of course)? Any experiences anyone?
L_W
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

Postby blliao » 17 Oct 2012, 16:44

I think you can, that benefit is through the Bureau of Labor Insurance, so provided you've paid into the plan you should be eligible for the benefits.
Check out the Nomad Foodie for Taipei restaurant reviews.
blliao

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Proceed to Parenting