Click here to go to our new forums at http://tw.forumosa.com
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

Raihan is out of Spotify?! Any other music to get your toddler to sleep?

Welcome to Forumosa's corner for moms and dads to talk about the issues involved in parenting in Taiwan.

Raihan is out of Spotify?! Any other music to get your toddler to sleep?

Postby goose egg » 12 Jun 2013, 21:12

I searched for music and sleep in this forum and found this gem: Subject/Tweet: Music for Children

Mother Theresa wrote:Finally, at bedtime, I've discovered nothing puts her to sleep like a good CD of Buddha music. You know the kind. The CDs you can pick up in a night market or Buddha supply store, made up of nothing more than soothing, rythmic, repetetive chanting of "ami tofu" over and over and over, till your child, or you, is in a deep deep slumber.

I became a fan of sorts of Raihan from the time I first heard their music on a public bus in KL in the '90's. On that same trip, I came across a CD they had just released and bought it. I rediscovered the CD about a year ago, and discovered it seems to have magical properties: It put my son to sleep by the middle of the 2nd song, and then the next night the same thing happened.

It helps that songs (hymns?) like Puji Pujian are easy to rock to. And if had any real linguistic talent, I'd be able to singalong by now, cause the music is kinda catchy. A couple months later, I wisened up and looked up Raihan's other music on Spotify. Allah be praised, there were a couple albums, so I made a playlist and we played it every evening since to get the kid to bed. 4 out of 5 times, it works like a charm.

Then, last night, all the Raihan music disappeared from Spotify. I have some of their songs on a couple other playlists and one that is all Raihan music -- all gone. I still have the original disc that I bought in the '90's to get the baby into Sleep Mode, but I'm disappointed to have lost access to all that other great music.

I'll try out the Bhuddist Chant CDs. I'll try some Gregorian chant, too, but that may sound creepy. Can you suggest music (chant or otherwise) that works really well in calming toddlers and sending them off to dreamland?

"When life is meaningless, life is cheap"
- finley
Image Filipinos sa Taiwan LinkedIn Group
goose egg
Forumosa Admin

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }
In Taiwan since: 09 Sep 1992

Re: Raihan is out of Spotify?! Any other music to get your toddler to sleep?

Postby asiababy » 12 Jun 2013, 21:27

Gosh, that was an old post! My kids are listening to MC Hotdog and Will-I-am now. I actually still have a few CDs from their babyhood here (including the ones I mentioned so long ago) that I can pass on to you to try. Just let me know where to send them to.
Family-friendly events and destinations Taiwan-wide. http://kidzone-tw.blogspot.com/
asiababy
Martyr's Shrine Guard (zhōngliècí wèibīng)

Postby goose egg » 12 Jun 2013, 21:45

My boss recommended I install the Kid Mode app on my iOS devices - she has some feisty grandchildren so I figured she knew what she was talking about. Kid Mode channels the Zoodles activity tracking service - so you parents can track what videos, games, etc that are in Kid Mode their children are using. The videos are all from Youtube, and this was where we found the Will.I.am video with the Sesame Street characters singing "What I am is..."

I'll PM you my address. Thank you!!

"When life is meaningless, life is cheap"
- finley
Image Filipinos sa Taiwan LinkedIn Group
goose egg
Forumosa Admin

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }
In Taiwan since: 09 Sep 1992

Postby asiababy » 16 Sep 2013, 10:32

I was cleaning up and found the CD I played a lot when I was pregnant and when my children were little. Playing it took me back to that time when the children were small and vulnerable. I guess we shouldn't underestimate the effect the music we choose for our kids has on us, too.

I found many versions of the mantra on Youtube, and this one is my current favorite.
Family-friendly events and destinations Taiwan-wide. http://kidzone-tw.blogspot.com/
asiababy

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Return to Parenting