Click here to go to our new forums at http://tw.forumosa.com
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

Pregnant - NHI Question

Welcome to Forumosa's corner for moms and dads to talk about the issues involved in parenting in Taiwan.

Pregnant - NHI Question

Postby allanecutillo » 18 Jul 2013, 09:43

Hi All

My husband and I are planning to return to Taiwan this fall. I am planning to have a work permit under which I would normally be eligible for the NHI.

However, I will be 6 months pregnant upon our arrival and I am concerned about being denied insurance. Does anyone know anything regarding this?

If I was eligible, would it take effect right away or is there a waiting period?

If I was not eligible, does anyone know what the cost for prenatal doctors visits and c-section delivery would be?
allanecutillo
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Re: Pregnant - NHI Question

Postby Icon » 18 Jul 2013, 09:54

Welcome to Forumosa.

NHI kicks in depending on your residence, your being pregnant has nothing to do with being approved/denied. Normally, that period is 4 months after you receive your residence. By that time you would have already delivered.

That said, two important matters: while delivery in Taiwan is a lot cheaper than in other places, you would be better with some savings/extra insurance from abroad. Do a search on this matter in the parenting pages.

Furthermore, and this is the most important matter, is your husband Taiwanese? Babies born to foreigners in Taiwan will NOT have NHI from the start, they also have to wait 3-4 months to get NHI benefits, so the initial costs -which are pretty high under normal circumstances, and overwhelming if there are complications- have to be completely covered by the parents.

Hope this helps. Costs -hospital visits, csection- are reasonable but depend on the hospital. Where will you live?
Lo urgente no deja tiempo para lo importante. Mafalda.

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Eat the delicious food. Walk in the sunshine. Jump in the ocean. Say the truth that you’re carrying in your heart like hidden treasure. Be silly. Be kind. Be weird. There’s no time for anything else.
Icon
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

Re: Pregnant - NHI Question

Postby Bobarctor » 28 Jul 2013, 13:29

Hi,

My wife delivered last year in Taiwan. We are both foreigners. Although I had my NHI immediately, my wife had to wait 4 month of stay in Taiwan to get the NHI. When I look at the bill for the delivery, we paid about 20K NTD at Taiwan Adventist Hospital for a total bill of 60K as far as I remember (I can check the files later). The 40K difference was paid by the NHI.

Concerning the baby NHI, what Icon said is true, your baby would get NHI after 4 months of stay in Taiwan. Something important to note is that the baby is covered by the NHI of the mother for the 2 months after birth. When I look at it first, I was worried but in fact, baby care in Taiwan is not so well reimbursed for regular visits and vaccination. I suggest to take a private insurance anyway for you and the baby, mostly in case of complications. Go for local insurance.
Bobarctor
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Return to Parenting