Click here to go to our new forums at http://tw.forumosa.com
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

I'm not sure if I should keep my son in this bilingual school.

Welcome to Forumosa's corner for moms and dads to talk about the issues involved in parenting in Taiwan.

Re: I'm not sure if I should keep my son in this bilingual school.

Postby rodeo » 16 Sep 2013, 18:15

And how does one hang out with their child when their child is supposed to be at school? :lol:

I agree you shouldn't worry so much. But you should strike a balance between being with your child and not being with your child. Saying, 'work less, be more active', smacks a bit of the old Sank Tea Moany, and really is a dig at parenting styles. The guy just found out his kid isn't quite getting the full foreigner experience he wanted it to have. Plenty of the world's kids have grown up just fine without a helicopter parent. And I would certainly not advise spending more time watching the idiot box with your child. :)

It's pre-K isn't it? My kid went to the first year and skipped the second. Work less? Sure. If he doesn't have a 300K bill to pay he can do that easy. Not sanctimonious at all.

And I'll need concrete proofs that you were a child, please, and that you were not born in Kenya or any other communist country thanks. :thumbsup:
There's a bullet in my pocket and it's burning a hole.
rodeo
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)

Postby superking » 16 Sep 2013, 18:27

rodeo wrote:
And how does one hang out with their child when their child is supposed to be at school? :lol:

I agree you shouldn't worry so much. But you should strike a balance between being with your child and not being with your child. Saying, 'work less, be more active', smacks a bit of the old Sank Tea Moany, and really is a dig at parenting styles. The guy just found out his kid isn't quite getting the full foreigner experience he wanted it to have. Plenty of the world's kids have grown up just fine without a helicopter parent. And I would certainly not advise spending more time watching the idiot box with your child. :)

It's pre-K isn't it? My kid went to the first year and skipped the second. Work less? Sure. If he doesn't have a 300K bill to pay he can do that easy. Not sanctimonious at all.

And I'll need concrete proofs that you were a child, please, and that you were not born in Kenya or any other communist country thanks. :thumbsup:

I wasn't born in Kenya but my father was. Strangely.

For me any response to the question, "I am concerned about my sons Kindy teacher's English," along the lines of, 'you shouldn't go to work as much as you do, you should read to your child and take your child for walks,' has something of an air of moral superiority about it. But whaddaEYEknow? I am always accused of talking down to people online. (Never in real life though, curiously.)

I've been reading a lot of Kingsley Amis recently (as well as the usual Wodehouse) and I much prefer the idea that children are horrid little oiks who parents should be more than happy to dump in someone else's lap until such time as they reach a sensible age for adult discourse. :D This book is also pretty good for letting yourself off the need to play with and fuss over your child too much...

It was even written by one of your mob... :lol:
There are millions of people in the world. And none of those people is an extra. They're all leads in their own stories.

If you lose one sense, your other senses are enhanced. That's why people with no sense of humour have an increased sense of self-importance.
superking
Overpaid Foreign Athlete (duō fù xīn shuǐ guò gāo de wài jí yùn dòng yuán)

Postby rodeo » 16 Sep 2013, 19:05

There'll be plenty of time to work when his kid is in school. If he can take the time off now, or cut back, to hang with the kid, the better for their relationship and the better for the kid's English, which dads thinks might not be up to par.

People have different priorities Superduperking. Mine is and has always been my son. I'm not suggesting he do the same as EYE did, but a half year spoiling the kid now will solidify their relationship even more before real school starts.

That and 300K for pre school? gtfooh :loco:
rodeo

Postby Ermintrude » 16 Sep 2013, 19:20

It's a fallacy that your children spending time with you will make them smarter and better. Even if you are smart and good yourself. And by definition, most of us aren't. Leave the little turnips to it, say I. :)

As a teacher who has spent time with thousands of kids, parenting is like money: it's vital to a certain level, then it's just window dressing. I've never been able to put my finger on what makes kids smart, nice, confident. It certainly isn't their teachers or parents.

Soops, you'd be a good parent. That's hardly the point though, I guess. Teaching certainly put me off (and the fact that I'm a woman) having kids.
'And we'll hide from the cunts, on our night reconnaissance'.
Ermintrude
Generalissimo (dàyuánshuài)

Postby superking » 16 Sep 2013, 19:56

rodeo wrote:There'll be plenty of time to work when his kid is in school. If he can take the time off now, or cut back, to hang with the kid, the better for their relationship and the better for the kid's English, which dads thinks might not be up to par.

People have different priorities Superduperking. Mine is and has always been my son. I'm not suggesting he do the same as EYE did, but a half year spoiling the kid now will solidify their relationship even more before real school starts.

That and 300K for pre school? gtfooh :loco:

My sister spends a lot of her time with her kids, my brother-in-law not so much (cos he is working). The kids still seem to love their dad as much as they love their mum. Perhaps they take their mum for granted more because she is there to wipe their nose every time it drips... Mebbe. At 3 years old they don't really know squat about who you are or what you are doing for them in much more of sense than that you are a constant in their life. So I reckon you get a free pass on this sort of stuff till they get a bit older. Certainly my 5 year old nephew can't remember today what he was doing yesterday. I took him to the theatre on Saturday (kiddies puppet show thing) and he asked if he'd ever been there before. He had, plenty of times. Dumbass. And he screwed up quite a lot of irregular verbs.

Fanks Ermintrude. I might make one some day. It's picking out the host that is the hardest bit. :lol:
There are millions of people in the world. And none of those people is an extra. They're all leads in their own stories.

If you lose one sense, your other senses are enhanced. That's why people with no sense of humour have an increased sense of self-importance.
superking

Postby rodeo » 17 Sep 2013, 03:46

Ermintrude wrote:It's a fallacy that your children spending time with you will make them smarter and better.

Smarter and better than what?
And who's this "you" you're talking about? The OP or some nameless "parent" that studies show so much about?

Spending more time with dad, the OP, will improve the kid's English. That's pretty much a given.

And their relationship will strengthen too which is much better for dad imo, as dads are usually catching the short end of the stick when it comes to quality time with young ones.

I didn't think this was a contentious point...but this is Forumosa. :s
rodeo

Postby Ermintrude » 17 Sep 2013, 07:19

rodeo wrote:
Ermintrude wrote:It's a fallacy that your children spending time with you will make them smarter and better.

Smarter and better than what?
s

Than they would be anyway.

No contention: have fun!
'And we'll hide from the cunts, on our night reconnaissance'.
Ermintrude

Postby Dr Jellyfish » 17 Sep 2013, 15:38

I appreciate all the feedback. It's been very helpful. Hopefully some of this might be helpful to others in future.
Dr Jellyfish
Night Market Cop (yè shì tiáo zi)
Night Market Cop (yè shì tiáo zi)

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Previous

Return to Parenting