Click here to go to our new forums at http://tw.forumosa.com
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

Referring to genitals with children

Welcome to Forumosa's corner for moms and dads to talk about the issues involved in parenting in Taiwan.

Re: Referring to genitals with children

Postby Indiana » 31 Dec 2013, 13:30

My Mom used the word 'coolie' when we were kids...it is Italian slang for 'butt' I think, but she used it to refer to both that and genitals. It was good because if she used it in public, no one knew what she was talking about. :)
Indiana
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)

Postby Vay » 31 Dec 2013, 15:20

hansioux wrote:
antarcticbeech wrote:
Vay wrote:Most are monosyllabic except for the joints, and thus very child-friendly and vernacular-sounding.

Toenail :eek: , instep :eek: , buttocks :eek: , nipple :eek: , stomach :eek: , forearm :eek: , armpit :eek: , forehead :eek: and belly button :eek: :eek: :eek: .

shoulders, nostril

Ok smartasses, I was talking main parts, and certainly none of your counter examples except maybe "nostril" and "buttocks" (most kids wouldn't know either of these, and who the hell except doctors say the second one) have that sort of medical textbook sound that "testicles" or "vagina" have. And incidentally, a shoulder is a joint.
Journalist: Do you accept the basic premise that smoking kills?

Cigarette executive: No. I think scientists that make statements like this are making political statements, not scientific statements.
Vay
KTV Is My Life (jiùshì ài chàng KTV)
KTV Is My Life (jiùshì ài chàng KTV)

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Postby superking » 31 Dec 2013, 16:11

There is the all encompassing word, 'bits.'

Don't play with your bits.
There are millions of people in the world. And none of those people is an extra. They're all leads in their own stories.

If you lose one sense, your other senses are enhanced. That's why people with no sense of humour have an increased sense of self-importance.
superking
Overpaid Foreign Athlete (duō fù xīn shuǐ guò gāo de wài jí yùn dòng yuán)
Overpaid Foreign Athlete (duō fù xīn shuǐ guò gāo de wài jí yùn dòng yuán)

Postby Petrichor » 31 Dec 2013, 21:31

StuartCa wrote:for my boy i use "willy" but never have been exposed to young girls I have no idea what term to use with my daughter.
edit - i just read this webpage where "cooch" gets a recommendation. have to say i quite like it.
http://www.theguardian.com/theobserver/ ... magazine27

:eek: Thank god for that.

We're 'willy' and 'bits' here, too. As in, leave your bits alone, stop fiddling with your bits, get dressed, visitors don't want to see your bits, your bits are hanging out etc. etc. Penis sometimes, and testicles, but not often.

I understand the reasoning behind giving genitals their 'proper' names but we have common names for most of the rest of the body and getting stuffy about genitals only adds to the slight uneasiness around talking about them.
Use what talents you possess: The woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best.

http://talesfromthebeautifulisle.blogspot.com/
http://jjgreenauthor.com/
Petrichor
Martyr's Shrine Guard (zhōngliècí wèibīng)

Postby TheGingerMan » 31 Dec 2013, 23:16

Weird question.
I used to use the local versions, when they were young. But they're old enough now to know some of the slang.
I'm just glad it is not quite at the stage where certain naughty bits become more active due to hormones. That's where the locker room terms shall enter the fray.
Kids learn fast. Quite refreshing actually, but with a slice of sadness over just how quick.
Time: The Avenger.
"Turne ye to the strong hold, ye prisoners of hope,
even to day do I declare that I will render double unto thee:"

~~~ZECHARIAH 9:12

"Or fill high hawkfell of my hand,
with skalds reward for skilled word?"

~~~Egill Skallagrimssøn, c.974

"It shall rain for forty days and forty nights, until your vile odour is cleansed."
~~~jimipresley
TheGingerMan
Bureaucrat of the Underworld (cóng dìyù lái de guānliáo)
Bureaucrat of the Underworld (cóng dìyù lái de guānliáo)

In Taiwan since: 0- 0-2114
Gruntleness: Fully Disgruntled

Postby Chris » 01 Jan 2014, 01:01

My parents taught me "penis" and "vagina" when I was a kid. I learned the other words from my friends and schoolmates.
Chris
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

Postby Petrichor » 01 Jan 2014, 05:28

Vagina is inaccurate, though, unless referring specifically to the inner female genitals. I'm not sure why this caught on.
Use what talents you possess: The woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best.

http://talesfromthebeautifulisle.blogspot.com/
http://jjgreenauthor.com/
Petrichor

Postby divea » 01 Jan 2014, 14:55

Whatever you call it, how you say it is important. You should say 'does your penis/wee wee hurt?' Just like you would say 'Does your eye hurt?'. I see a lot of lowering of voices and hushed tones when parents talk to the children about their genitals or the bathroom. Upto 4 and if your lucky even 5, children are not shy naturally. So you don't have to be either. Follow their lead.

Back to the tone...if you're hesitant about genitalia conversations, the kid will pick up on your body language. So be adult about the whole thing.
"It is the weak who are cruel. Gentleness can only be expected from the strong. "
- Leo Roston
divea
Retired President (tuì xiū de zǒng tǒng)
Retired President (tuì xiū de zǒng tǒng)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Previous

Return to Parenting