Click here to go to our new forums at http://tw.forumosa.com
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

What is a suitable bedtime routine for a 4 year old?

Welcome to Forumosa's corner for moms and dads to talk about the issues involved in parenting in Taiwan.

Re: What is a suitable bedtime routine for a 4 year old?

Postby amclark119 » 20 May 2014, 17:01

Well - I think people go to bed late in general. Whereas at home the shops open at 9am, here it is a lot later. I know some kids go to bed at midnight here whereas at home you would be considered a bad parent if let your kid go to bed so late. Just wondering if that is the rationale behind the naps?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
amclark119
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

Postby Petrichor » 20 May 2014, 17:24

amclark119 wrote:So, my question is sort of related to this. Apparently, most children don't need a nap after the age of four. From the answers to the original OP - it looks like most schools do a nap for children after the age of 5, even though it's not appropriate. This can mess with night time sleep. They don't have naps at elementary schools back at home and I find it completely bizarre. Actually, at the kindergarten I taught at - the kids would get told off if they didn't sleep during nap time - even though at the age of 5 you don't need it! So - how do I find a school that doesn't force a nap time on kids? At what age do they stop forcing these crazy nap times on kids?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

An afternoon siesta in hot countries is common. In southern Spain, for example, school finishes around 2 pm and the children go home and have a nap and a long lunch, then stay up later at night, similar to Taiwan. It's just different. Not crazy or bizarre.

If you want a school that doesn't have a naptime for kids (and teachers) you'll have to pay for one of the international schools.
Use what talents you possess: The woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best.

http://talesfromthebeautifulisle.blogspot.com/
http://jjgreenauthor.com/
Petrichor
Martyr's Shrine Guard (zhōngliècí wèibīng)
Martyr's Shrine Guard (zhōngliècí wèibīng)

Postby Deuce Dropper » 20 May 2014, 17:28

I have a two year old and we try and make sure he gets 10 hours or as close to as possible (he naps once per day).

He has a pretty set routine, at nine o'clock it is eat, bath, story, bed. One of us stays in the room till he falls asleep (he likes this), I usually pretend I am sleeping and he will follow suit.

If he stays up later he usually sleeps later (not a bad idea for the weekend). If we are worried he won't sleep (long nap, slept late) I will let him run around a bit more during the day.

10 hours is the key IMHO until middle school, but Taiwan doesn't always roll like that.
Deuce Dropper
Buxiban Laoban (bǔxíbān lǎobǎn)
Buxiban Laoban (bǔxíbān lǎobǎn)

Postby limoncello » 14 Jul 2014, 16:41

When I was young my parents had no set bedtime for me after age 3 or so - I fell asleep on my own at reasonable times and I didn't have a routine. Sure I had to brush my teeth etc but it wasn't like "bath, teeth, pajamas, story, sleep" or anything like that. So when I had my kid I did the same thing - when she was very young we had a bedtime routine but by age 6 or so (not so easygoing as I was as a little'un) we let her be more independent about it. I know that sounds crazy - kids need routines! you might think - but it's worked. She's growing up surprisingly well-adjusted and falls asleep reasonably early too...and we can take her anywhere without too many tantrums!!
limoncello
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Previous

Return to Parenting