Parenting Resources

Welcome to Forumosa's corner for moms and dads to talk about the issues involved in parenting in Taiwan.

Moderator: 914

Re: Parenting Resources

Postby braxtonhicks » 19 Oct 2011, 19:16

nickythechicki wrote:Hey All,
So jumping back up the page a little to the mention of Suzuki method to teach music.... does anyone know of Suzuki violin or piano teachers in the Tianmu/Beitou/Shilin area please?
Thanks
N

Hi Nicky,

Someone posted a while back at Parent Pages about the Suzuki method in Tianmu with the following info:

The Suzuki ZhongCheng room: 2876-8417
Main office: 2833 2021
http://www.suzukimethod.org.tw/
Kindermusik with Jennifer Joy ~ Make magical, musical memories with your child at Kindermusik!
braxtonhicks
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)

23 Recommends(s)

Postby imlostinasia » 04 Apr 2012, 09:30

Here's a book I've been reading that's been useful in many aspects. 'Have a new kid by Friday' by Dr. Kevin Leman. :bravo:

Check it out at,
http://www.haveanewkidbyfriday.com/Book ... nting.aspx
Who are you when nobody is watching?
Forumosan avatar
imlostinasia
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

4 Recommends(s)

Postby 914 » 16 Apr 2012, 10:56

www.kellymom.com for breastfeeding and parenting support.

If you are in San Francisco CA proper, Golden Gate Mothers Group (www.GGMG.org) is a great resource for parents of children up to age 5. Membership is $75/year and includes discounts on local businesses and events for families. Also, Berkeley Parents Network (BPN) is a listserv for families in the SF Bay Area, there is no age limit.
Messages are sent from my iPad so if you find any errors, you may keep them. Myspacebarhasissues.
Forumosan avatar
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)

Location: YVR to SFO to TPE; Now in semi-retirement in Sky Mother
35 Recommends(s)
38 Recognized(s)

Postby Petrichor » 16 Apr 2012, 14:55

An excellent British website supporting the national curriculum there is BBC Bitesize. Very good for people who want to maintain their children's English literacy at home. It covers all school ages.
Use what talents you possess: The woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best.

http://talesfromthebeautifulisle.blogspot.com/
Forumosan avatar
Petrichor
Bird Walker (liù niǎo de rén)

86 Recommends(s)
90 Recognized(s)

Postby EKHuang » 11 May 2012, 12:55

The one book I'll recomend is "The Expectant Father: Facts, Tips, and Advice for Dads-to-Be". I was skeptical but it was helpful...and targetted to fathers. It shared actual situtations and thoughts that actually related to me.
EKHuang

Postby Vay » 20 May 2012, 20:25

I can't recommend these, as I haven't got them yet, but they looked interesting and definitely something different:

Parenting Beyond Belief - On Raising Ethical, Caring Kids Without Religion

...and...

Maybe Yes, Maybe No: A Guide for Young Skeptics

The latter is actually for kids, not parents, but seems it could be a valuable resource as well.
"So given that we all agree that the world is warming, would it be unlikely to have heat waves outpace cold fronts by 3:1? Where's the Gotcha! in that?" - Fred Smith
Forumosan avatar
Vay
Time to Marry a Local (gāi qǔ tái wān lǎo pó jià tái wān lǎo gōng liǎo)

27 Recommends(s)
51 Recognized(s)

Postby Vay » 02 Aug 2012, 18:58

Got Parenting Beyond Belief. It is a book of essays, and so of course some I find more insightful and some less so. However, one thing it definitely does is provide a hell of a lot of other resources, which I'll share here:
___

On Ethics/Values

Humphrey, Sandra Mcleod.
If you had to choose, what would you do?

Barker, Dan.
Maybe Right, Maybe Wrong: A Guide for Young Thinkers

Berry, Joy.
A Children’s Book About Lying

Mather, Anne and Weldon, Louise.
Character Building, Day by Day: 180 Quick Read-Alouds for Elementary School and Home

Medhus, Elisa.
Raising Children Who Think for Themselves

Medhus, Elisa.
Raising Everyday Heroes: Parenting Children to be Self-Reliant

Wykoff, Jerry.
20 Teachable Virtues

Espeland, Pamela.
Knowing and Doing What’s Right: The Positive Value Assets

___

On Grieving and Death

Emswiler, James and Mary-Ann
Guiding Your Child Through Grief

Thomas, Pat.
I Miss You – A First Look at Death

Rothman, Juliet Cassuto.
A Birthday Present for Daniel: A Child’s Story of Loss

Dougy Center
Thirty-five Ways to Help a Grieving Child

Arent, Ruth P.
Helping Children Grieve

___

On religion

Hamilton, Virginia.
In the Beginning: Creation Stories from Around the World

Bennett, Helen.
Humanism – What’s that? A book for curious kids.

Barker, Dan
Just Pretend: A Freethought Book for Children
"So given that we all agree that the world is warming, would it be unlikely to have heat waves outpace cold fronts by 3:1? Where's the Gotcha! in that?" - Fred Smith
Forumosan avatar
Vay

27 Recommends(s)
51 Recognized(s)

Postby Teddoman » 13 Aug 2012, 21:51

FEEDING
The following are feeding books I wish I had read at the very beginning. They are essentially about how learning to eat is a developmental process and not just a physical thing that has to be done. The more autonomy you give your child in the feeding process, the more feeding competency they should develop without creating unhealthy emotions towards eating that can lead to feeding disorders.

Child of Mine, by Ellyn Satter (http://www.facebook.com/ellynsatterassociates)
Baby-Led Weaning, by Gill Rapley and Tracey Murkett (available via web on Amazon Kindle cloud reader)

If your child has already developed an issue, you will probably want to read this one:
When Your Child Won't Eat Or Eats Too Much: A Parents' Guide for the Prevention and Treatment of Feeding Problems in Young Children, Dr. Irene Chatoor (available via web on Google Play)

CONSTIPATION, SOILING, WETTING, ACCIDENTS
Constipation is a major psychological vicious cycle once it develops. I would advise being very aggressive in dealing with constipation at the first whiff of it. A single instance of constipation can cause a child to start withholding, and therefore creates a vicious cycle of further constipation and further withholding, that is very difficult to break.

It's No Accident is a good primer on the dangers of constipation and its relationship to soiling, wetting, and also a good intro to bathroom issues in schools and issues to think about in potty training. Once you see what kids with constipation have to deal with, you won't want to let your kids get it. There are kids that are on Miralax or other treatment protocols for 10+ years, unable to resolve their constipation issues.
(available via web on Amazon Kindle cloud reader)

Tip: adding large amounts of organic prune juice (pure prune juice, not a juice blend) to your baby's milk is a good way to keep their stool soft. Err on the side of caution!
Teddoman
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

12 Recommends(s)
10 Recognized(s)

Postby mechelle » 08 Oct 2012, 11:52

A good book specifically for parents raising kids abroad/3rd culture kids.
"Raising Global Nomads" by Robin Pascoe
Probable available at Page One bookstore below Taipei 101.
mechelle

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Previous

Proceed to Parenting