Sanctuary being torn down. We need your help!!! - click here for details
You can also visit TheSanctuaryTaiwan.org - click here to go to their contact page

A trip to Thailand with our 3-year-old

Welcome to Forumosa's corner for moms and dads to talk about the issues involved in parenting in Taiwan.

Moderator: 914

A trip to Thailand with our 3-year-old

Postby americanmama » 17 Sep 2006, 12:55

Any of you travelled to Northern Thailand with a youngster? She's a pretty easy-going little person. She's been to the States 3 times but other than that, not been out of Taiwan. Any experiences to share? Any places or activities you'd recommend?
americanmama
Càiniǎo
Càiniǎo

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby Huang Guang Chen » 17 Sep 2006, 13:08

Northern Thailand's quite a vast and varied place, where were you thinking 0f specifically? I mean, you could be planning 10 days in a Chiang Mai spa, in which case the toddler is not going to be any kind of issue at all. Alternatively, you might be considering trekking through Issan, in which case . . .

HG
I'm a wicked young lady, but I've been trying hard lately. Oh fark it! I'm a monster! I admit it!
Forumosan avatar
Huang Guang Chen
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

15 Recommends(s)
44 Recognized(s)

Re: A trip to Thailand with our 3-year-old

Postby kelake » 17 Sep 2006, 13:18

americanmama wrote:Any of you travelled to Northern Thailand with a youngster? She's a pretty easy-going little person. She's been to the States 3 times but other than that, not been out of Taiwan. Any experiences to share? Any places or activities you'd recommend?

Haven't taken my daughter to Northern Thailand - the zoo in Chiang Mai might be fun but bring lots of water as it's very humid.

If you stay in Bangkok at all there is an excellent sandbox in Benjasiri park next door to the Emporium shopping center (near Soi. 22). I think it's a nice park for kids and parents. Getting off at Phrom Phong BTS station will bring you to the main entrance. Great places to eat upstairs in the emporium as well. Good supermarket too.

You might ask someone at Bambi. It's Bangkok info mostly but they might be able to help you if you are out of ideas.

One tip is to watch the sidewalks. Sometimes they forget to fill in holes leading allot of people who are unaware with large gashes on their legs. It wouldn't hurt to visit a doctor here before you go to get some anti-diarrhea meds. for your daughter, it's rare when you are careful but better safe than than sorry.
kelake
Eldest Grandchild (zhǎngsūn)
Eldest Grandchild (zhǎngsūn)

19 Recommends(s)
5 Recognized(s)

my recent trip

Postby Shawerma » 17 Sep 2006, 19:50

Things to bring:
Citronella oil or something like it. Dengue fever is a problem in Thailand so this will be good for you and for anyone else that's going for that matter.
Some children's medicine for a fever just in case.
Attitude adjustment:
I used to go to Thailand, rent a big bike (one of those loud Harley copies), go to a new place daily on the bike or by just asking around and getting a boat to where I wanted to go, etc. My recent trip to Thailand with my two and a half year old daughter was very tame: I rented a jeep everyday that had good AC, just stayed on the island (Koh Samui) and no trips to other islands on rickety old boats, went to good restaurants that were clean, stayed close to shore with my daughter when at the beach, etc. I had a very good time and so did my wife and daughter, but it was a bit different compared to the way I used to travel.
Nobody loves me but my mother,
And she could be jivin' too
B.B. King
Shawerma
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Proceed to Parenting