In case of emergency - health id card?

Welcome to Forumosa's corner for moms and dads to talk about the issues involved in parenting in Taiwan.

Moderator: 914

In case of emergency - health id card?

Postby honeybird » 27 Sep 2006, 15:05

I couldn't find any posts on this topic, so here goes:

If I should find myself in a situation where I have to take my child to the emergency room, I want to be prepared to show the ambulance/doctor/nurse what I'll refer to as a "health id card," containing essential info about my child's medical history. Likewise for my husband and myself in case neither of us is around or can talk.

What I had in mind is to have written in Chinese info such as blood type, medicinal allergies, current medications, current physician/hospital/clinic, etc. I just want to be able to hand over the paper with the info so I don't have to worry about translations.

My Chinese is still in the learning stage, and my husband's written Chinese isn't good.

Does anyone have something like this on hand for their own family? Are there resources (forms/people) for such things?

TIA!
honeybird
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby xtrain » 27 Sep 2006, 15:25

I believe that most of this info is contained on your health insurance card (jian bao), the card with your picture that they swipe every time you go to the doctor/clinic/hospital.

someone please advise if this is not so ...
Looking for a place to happen, making stops along the way - The Hip
Forumosan avatar
xtrain
Martyr's Shrine Guard (zhōngliècí wèibīng)
Martyr's Shrine Guard (zhōngliècí wèibīng)

42 Recommends(s)
4 Recognized(s)

Re: In case of emergency - health id card?

Postby Dragonbones » 27 Sep 2006, 15:42

honeybird wrote: Are there resources (forms/people) for such things?

Not that I know of -- not in terms of any organized program encouraging or helping people to prepare them. This is not the kind of place where such foresight is generally exercised, after all.

Does anyone have something like this on hand for their own family?

Yes. I don't have any significant medical info to impart, but have always kept a card in my wallet, written in indelible ink, with my name, ID, blood type, and contact information for parents etc. with the relationship (e.g., Parents: Brother: Girlfriend: Landlord: Boss:) clearly specified, for emergency purposes. My mom told me to prepare one before I headed off backpacking solo in Europe.

If I should find myself in a situation where I have to take my child to the emergency room, I want to be prepared to show the ambulance/doctor/nurse what I'll refer to as a "health id card," containing essential info about my child's medical history. Likewise for my husband and myself in case neither of us is around or can talk.

Good idea.

What I had in mind is to have written in Chinese info such as blood type, medicinal allergies, current medications, current physician/hospital/clinic, etc. I just want to be able to hand over the paper with the info so I don't have to worry about translations.

Just write this out, ask a local friend to translate it and write it in indelible ink on cardstock, then have it laminated at any printer or photo shop.
NEW! Better for you! This post is now carb-conscious, low-fat, and gluten-free!
Forumosan avatar
Dragonbones
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

39 Recommends(s)
113 Recognized(s)

Postby taiwiener » 27 Sep 2006, 19:05

http://www.medids.com/free-id.php

GO here... and print out a perfectly sized wallet card ready for lamination with red medic alert symbol :angel:
Forumosan avatar
taiwiener
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)

Postby honeybird » 29 Sep 2006, 13:33

Thanks for all the feedback, everyone.

taiwiener, the link is great. This will definitely help.
honeybird
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)

ORIGINAL POSTER

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Proceed to Parenting