Click here to go to our new forums at http://tw.forumosa.com
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

My Wife Got the New Maternity Leave!

Welcome to Forumosa's corner for moms and dads to talk about the issues involved in parenting in Taiwan.

Re: My Wife Got the New Maternal Leave!

Postby Chris » 11 May 2009, 09:26

Chewycorns and Okami... I thought you were free-market conservatives, and as such would be opposed to things like paid maternity leave and OK with things like $7000 immunity shots.

Just an observation....
Chris
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

Postby Chewycorns » 11 May 2009, 10:12

Chris wrote:Chewycorns and Okami... I thought you were free-market conservatives, and as such would be opposed to things like paid maternity leave and OK with things like $7000 immunity shots.

Just an observation....

Lots of observations can be wrong. :wink: :D

Toronto Star wrote: In a determined effort to make inroads with female voters, Conservative leader Stephen Harper promised maternity and parental benefits to the self-employed today.

Harper stated the self-employed "shouldn't have to choose between starting a family and starting a business because of government policy."

"They should be able to pursue their dreams - both as entrepreneurs and as parents."

http://www.thestar.com/FederalElection/article/499419
Chewycorns
Retired President (tuì xiū de zǒng tǒng)
Retired President (tuì xiū de zǒng tǒng)

Postby Okami » 11 May 2009, 12:19

Chewycorns and Okami... I thought you were free-market conservatives, and as such would be opposed to things like paid maternity leave and OK with things like $7000 immunity shots.

I'm not opposed to paid maternity leave, but I believe it should be a business decision and not a govt diktat. Govt diktats like this tend to gum up SME's which are also the bedrock of Taiwan's economy. Someone has to pay for it and that someone will be consumers and buyers of the companies products and services. They may choose not buy from the company because it is too expensive for their budget.

Now as far as paying for immunization shots, I think that is bullshit because I pay the full cost of NHI for my wife and daughter. Why are they not covering something that is "mandatory"? Taiwan talks this great game of wanting people to have more kids and then you have this $20-30,000NT expense after having the kid. Now for us foreigners and richer Taiwanese, this isn't much, but for your average Taiwanese those 6 months of shots cost one month's salary. If I wasn't paying for NHI, I'd have no problem with paying for the shots.

I think that adequately explains my my being a free market conservative and not engaging in cognitive dissonance on these 2 points.
Professor Walter Williams has remarked that he’s glad he went to college “before it became fashionable for white people to like black people.”
Okami
KTV Is My Life (jiùshì ài chàng KTV)
KTV Is My Life (jiùshì ài chàng KTV)

Postby headhonchoII » 12 May 2009, 13:54

The way things go in Taiwan, this perk might end up just going to govt. workers...
Claim to fame: smoothly cruising towards no.11 no.10 on all time greatest poster list.
headhonchoII
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

Re: My Wife Got the New Maternity Leave!

Postby jwbrunken » 12 May 2009, 22:42

headhonchoII wrote:The way things go in Taiwan, this perk might end up just going to govt. workers...

There is something to this. My sister-in-law didn't take more than a month off for fear of reprisal at work, such as not receiving promotions or raises and being assigned harder tasks. There is a lot of doubt among locals that this law will be enforced in the private sector. Though my wife works as a professor at a public university, she is still wary of taking the leave if we ever get around to number 2, fearing it may affect her promotion.
jwbrunken
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

Postby Battery9 » 12 May 2009, 23:06

that's excellent news!

What happens to the job that the person was doing...does someone else get hired for that time or do other people at the job cover parts of the job etc. I always wonder this about foreign teachers that go on 3 month sprees in Thailand etc....and their jobs are there when they get back...
Battery9
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)

Postby Gao Bohan » 13 May 2009, 00:19

Okami wrote:I'm not opposed to paid maternity leave, but I believe it should be a business decision and not a govt diktat.

The trouble is, very few companies will offer maternity leave without a government mandate. In the US, new parents get 12 weeks of job-protected, but not necessarily paid leave. And that's only for parents who work at relatively large companies. And most companies only offer part of that leave time as paid, so most people can't even afford to take the entire 12 weeks. That has been the case for several mothers and fathers I know.
Our most basic common link is that we all inhabit this planet. We all breathe the same air. We all cherish our children's future. And we are all mortal. - John F. Kennedy
Gao Bohan
Thinking of Staging a Coup (xiǎng yào gǎo zhèng biàn)
Thinking of Staging a Coup (xiǎng yào gǎo zhèng biàn)

Postby Mordeth » 13 May 2009, 07:31

Gao Bohan wrote:
Okami wrote:I'm not opposed to paid maternity leave, but I believe it should be a business decision and not a govt diktat.

The trouble is, very few companies will offer maternity leave without a government mandate. In the US, new parents get 12 weeks of job-protected, but not necessarily paid leave. And that's only for parents who work at relatively large companies. And most companies only offer part of that leave time as paid, so most people can't even afford to take the entire 12 weeks. That has been the case for several mothers and fathers I know.

The older I get the more I realize what a shithole the US is. When I was young I idolized it.

In France both the mother AND father get a year off, paid leave (I'm pretty sure on that).

So even Taiwan is superior to the US when it comes to caring for babies. Crazy.
Mordeth
Thinking of Having Kids (xiǎng yào shēng xiǎo hái)
Thinking of Having Kids (xiǎng yào shēng xiǎo hái)

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Postby anglophonus » 13 May 2009, 09:20

No such for fathers... despite the fact that many of us do, yes, actually share the job of caring for the child. It's not the '50s anymore. My wife was already unemployed, so I'm screwed.
anglophonus
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)

Postby asiababy » 13 May 2009, 19:33

Regarding the immunization costs, I remember that there were extra shots offered above those in "the book", and also that you could opt to pay extra to have the 5 in 1 rather than the 3 in 1. I remember the doctor trying to talk me into one and it worked out about 18,000 for the three shots.
Family-friendly events and destinations Taiwan-wide. http://kidzone-tw.blogspot.com/
asiababy
Martyr's Shrine Guard (zhōngliècí wèibīng)
Martyr's Shrine Guard (zhōngliècí wèibīng)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Return to Parenting