My Wife Got the New Maternity Leave!

Welcome to Forumosa's corner for moms and dads to talk about the issues involved in parenting in Taiwan.

Moderator: 914

Re: My Wife Got the New Maternity Leave!

Postby scomargo » 29 Jun 2012, 11:24

E04teacherlin wrote:
Rock Away wrote:I have the same question and never saw an answer on here ~

Does anyone know if the extended 6 month maternity leave at 60% subsidized salary is available to foreign workers residing in Taiwan and holding an ARC?

I would think it isn't because you need to be a member of (gong bao) I think Labor insurance and I doubt that someone with an ARC would be on it. You need to pay monthly for it almost like unemployment insurance in other countries. I could be wrong since I don't have a wife and can't find one.

I've been paying Labor Insurance (gong bao) for over 10 years now, and I'm on an ARC. That said, I don't know the answer to the above question either. I'm male (and not planning any more kids), so I believe it wouldn't really apply to me.
Forumosan avatar
scomargo
Bird Walker (liù niǎo de rén)

17 Recommends(s)
16 Recognized(s)

Postby headhonchoII » 29 Jun 2012, 23:52

Anybody who pays laobao (labour contribution) and has an ARC and a decent work history should be able to receive same benefits as Taiwanese citizens.
I can remember the fourth of July runnin' through the backwood bare.
And I can still hear my old hound dog barkin' chasin' down a hoodoo there
Chasin' down a hoodoo there.
headhonchoII
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

1836 Recommends(s)
660 Recognized(s)

Postby Isha » 31 Jul 2012, 10:59

headhonchoII wrote:Anybody who pays laobao (labour contribution) and has an ARC and a decent work history should be able to receive same benefits as Taiwanese citizens.

Apart from kindergarten/day care concession and allowance for having a baby.
Isha
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)

22 Recommends(s)
7 Recognized(s)

Postby headhonchoII » 31 Jul 2012, 11:05

Ok, that may be blocked by lack of Huji, you are right.
headhonchoII
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

1836 Recommends(s)
660 Recognized(s)

Postby annually in KHH » 01 Jan 2013, 15:32

Just to clear up Canadian mat/parental leave is 37 weeks. Split anyway you want between mother or father...or both at the same time..but this cuts time in half as you're burning up weeks twice as fast. For moneey you get 55% of your salary to a max salary of 45,900 for 2012...but then you have to pay tax on that amount. There is a two week hold when you start. And it used to be when you switched from one parent to the other...there was another two week hold(no pay) but this has since been cancled and once one parent has severed the two week waiting period, it has been completed.

The 37 weeks has to be completed before the child turnd one. Birth montherss qualify for 16 or 17 werks of maternity leave for medical eecovery from birth...and can have preganacy leave before giving birth if ordered by a doctor.
annually in KHH
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

1 Recommends(s)
In Taiwan since: 0- 0-2001

Postby headhonchoII » 02 Jan 2013, 09:15

I thinks it's the Lao Bao that covers this. I'm also not sure if it applies to workplaces with less than five employees.

Edited by moderator.
headhonchoII
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

1836 Recommends(s)
660 Recognized(s)

Postby Tiare » 29 Apr 2014, 15:58

I just wanted to clarify the information in this thread for others, especially foreigners who are interested in it.

There are three types of insurance that may be taken out of your pay in Taiwan:
1. Health Insurance - everyone pays this, local or foreign
2. Labor Insurance - everyone is eligible for this, although it seems like many people working at buxibans do not have it
3. Employment Insurance - only open to Taiwanese and spouses of Taiwanese

Maternity leave is paid through one's labor insurance. Since foreigners are eligible for labor insurance, they are able to claim this benefit. It is eight weeks paid leave; the amount one receives is the average salary amount over the previous 6 months x 2. However, one must be paying into the labor insurance system for at least a year before going on maternity leave to get it.

The new maternity leave that is mentioned is this thread is not maternity leave. It is parental leave. Parental leave can be either 6 months at 60% pay or 2 years at no pay. The big difference between this and the regular maternity leave is that parental leave is covered by employment insurance, not labor insurance, meaning that unless you are a Taiwan national or married to a Taiwan national, you are not eligible for this benefit. You must also pay into this system for at least a year before you can claim this benefit. Additionally, I believe that father's are able to make use parental leave as well, but the total time between the two parents is six months per child. So, the mom couldn't take 6 months, and then the father take another 6 months.

I hope that clears up any confusion.
Tiare
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

39 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Previous

Proceed to Parenting