Crib advice? (type to get or avoid, where to buy etc.)

Welcome to Forumosa's corner for moms and dads to talk about the issues involved in parenting in Taiwan.

Moderator: 914

Re: Crib advice? (type to get or avoid, where to buy etc.)

Postby DiaFun » 04 Dec 2010, 01:38

Dragonbones wrote:I was given a baby backpack and a Pack'N'Play as hand-me-downs, but thank you!

We'll still give the crib a go, partly just to keep the cats and baby slightly more separated at first.

Would you like a Baby Bjorn front carrier? I would be glad to bring it when I come back to Taipei early next year. It's in perfect condition mechanically (and not part of the recall) but has a spot where the fabric is slightly lighter. I also have a Moby wrap somewhere... they are expensive as hell (can't figure out why) but they are really nice to have once you figure out how to tie it (and I can show you with a baby doll or a sack of sugar or something - ha). I was given mine and I'd be glad to pass it along if you'd like to try it.
Argue for your limitations and they're yours. -- Richard Bach, Illusions
Forumosan avatar
DiaFun
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

5 Recommends(s)
2 Recognized(s)

Postby Dragonbones » 04 Dec 2010, 11:44

We were also given a Baby Bjorn front carrier, but thanks! The Moby wrap would be great, though -- we'd like to try a wrap or sling of some kind, and also will need a nursing cover if anyone is giving away a used one (otherwise we'll make one; can't be hard). Thanks!
NEW! Better for you! This post is now carb-conscious, low-fat, and gluten-free!
Forumosan avatar
Dragonbones
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

ORIGINAL POSTER
39 Recommends(s)
112 Recognized(s)

Postby Stray Dog » 04 Dec 2010, 12:25

If there's a front carrier going spare, I'd love to have it for my most crippled dog, Moppy. She's a small dog, born deformed so that her front legs splay out on either side of her body instead of down, and her back legs are twisted up underneath her. I like to carry her when walking the other dogs, but it's cumbersome and a bit of a strain, so she doesn't get out as much as I'd like.

Here's her pic:
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=9801087&l=a0f860da37&id=887415124

Would I be able to have this front carrier for her?
SUPPORT ANIMAL RESCUE WHEN SERVICING, SOURCING, REPAIRING, OR BUYING A CAR THROUGH AUTOCHECKERS!

I'm NOT SO ACTIVE HERE ANY MORE. IF YOU NEED HELP WITH AN ANIMAL RESCUE OR DOG-BEHAVIOUR ISSUE, PLEASE EMAIL ME AT s e a n i m a l s @ g m a i l . c o m OR CALL 0920 620 109. THANKS!

Want to learn how the dog whisperer does his magic? Learn the simple but highly effective tricks to bringing about positive change in your dog: http://seanimals.blogspot.com/

"I will be quoted in someone's signature, even if I have to do it myself!"—Stray Dog
Forumosan avatar
Stray Dog
Thinking of Staging a Coup (xiǎng yào gǎo zhèng biàn)
Thinking of Staging a Coup (xiǎng yào gǎo zhèng biàn)

3 Recommends(s)
9 Recognized(s)

Postby Dragonbones » 04 Dec 2010, 12:36

Front carriers and backpacks are designed to pretty snugly fit human proportions -- I doubt whether this would work with Moppy, in terms of getting her in and out as well as her and your comfort.

Even the ones designed for dogs don't seem to fit every dog well, as dogs differ a lot in size and proportions, as evidenced by the reviews on Amazon for a dog-specific front carrier which Icon linked to in the recent thread on doggy front carriers.

Perhaps you should consider trying something like a baby sling as well or instead? Depending on the nature of her deformity, you might find that a certain style of sling or wrap would work better for her. :ponder: Any sling and wrap experts here? Or get some cordura nylon and custom fit her with a carrier , add velcro closures, and then attach that to the existing base for a baby or dog front or back carrier, or a reversible (front and back) carrier base like that of a Bjorn (as I understand it).
Forumosan avatar
Dragonbones
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

ORIGINAL POSTER
39 Recommends(s)
112 Recognized(s)

Postby DiaFun » 04 Dec 2010, 14:45

Dragonbones wrote:Front carriers and backpacks are designed to pretty snugly fit human proportions -- I doubt whether this would work with Moppy, in terms of getting her in and out as well as her and your comfort.

Even the ones designed for dogs don't seem to fit every dog well, as dogs differ a lot in size and proportions, as evidenced by the reviews on Amazon for a dog-specific front carrier which Icon linked to in the recent thread on doggy front carriers.

Perhaps you should consider trying something like a baby sling as well or instead? Depending on the nature of her deformity, you might find that a certain style of sling or wrap would work better for her. :ponder: Any sling and wrap experts here? Or get some cordura nylon and custom fit her with a carrier , add velcro closures, and then attach that to the existing base for a baby or dog front or back carrier, or a reversible (front and back) carrier base like that of a Bjorn (as I understand it).

Next time I come to Taipei, I'll bring the Moby (Dragonbones) and the Baby Bjorn, since it sounds like there will be takers of one sort or another. ;-) I also will see if I still have my Rosado ring slings; they're made here in Seattle and people swear by them; one is guy-sized (big) and the other is more "normal" but would still be too big for the average Taiwanese woman. The dog(s) could be carried in the ring sling, I suspect, and they are good because they go right in the washing machine without a problem. I hope I can find them! :)

The Baby Bjorn is NOT a front or back carrier; it's a front carrier ONLY. Babies have died falling out of those carriers when placed on a parent's back! If you want a carrier that goes on the back, too, wait until the baby is about 6 months old and then get an ERGO. I carried each of my babies in the Baby Bjorn until the were about 10 kg (there's a trick; hang on a minute) and I am still able to easily carry my son in the ERGO on my front or back, and he weighs 15 kg. He will probably be too tall for me to carry in it before he's too heavy.

The trick for carrying something/someone heavy on your front is to use a backpack as your diaper bag and to put it on your back for balance. I am definitely the family packhorse... on some outings, I've carried my son (~15 kg), his diaper stuff, and our picnic lunch (another ~10 kg) without a problem! I honestly find it more comfortable to have the weight split that way than to have it on one or the other... though I have to remember to wear my good shoes. :noway:
Forumosan avatar
DiaFun

5 Recommends(s)
2 Recognized(s)

Postby maoman » 04 Dec 2010, 14:54

Stray Dog wrote:I would just like to add that finding the right woman, settling down, and having babies is just for SISSIES! I guess, for those who are, sadly, unable to have dogs, babies can help fill that void but, I must stress, are hardly a substitute.

For constant, unceasing, never-a-moment-to-yourself companionship, have both. :cool:
Forumosan avatar
maoman

76 Recommends(s)
44 Recognized(s)

Postby Dragonbones » 06 Dec 2010, 15:12

DiaFun wrote:Next time I come to Taipei, I'll bring the Moby (Dragonbones) and the Baby Bjorn, since it sounds like there will be takers of one sort or another. ;-) I also will see if I still have my Rosado ring slings; they're made here in Seattle and people swear by them; one is guy-sized (big) and the other is more "normal" but would still be too big for the average Taiwanese woman. The dog(s) could be carried in the ring sling, I suspect, and they are good because they go right in the washing machine without a problem. I hope I can find them! :)

Hi DiaFun, when do you think you'll be here next?

The Baby Bjorn is NOT a front or back carrier; it's a front carrier ONLY. Babies have died falling out of those carriers when placed on a parent's back! If you want a carrier that goes on the back, too, wait until the baby is about 6 months old and then get an ERGO

Thank you for the clarification! :) (Edit: We haven't pulled our hand-me-down carriers out to use yet, but I had remembered something about the reversibility of the Bjorn -- turns out it is that it is a front carrier, but baby can face either way. Of course we'll pay attention to such things more carefully before actually using them! :oops: )

BTW, we ended up getting a new crib at New Mama, in large part because they happened to have one (長頸鹿, Giraffe brand) on sale that had light, natural wood, a curved top, and a large inset wood oval with a removable picture on it, which is really ideal for my DIY decorating plans.

For others doing crib shopping:

If you have a car and can pick it up, and don't mind taking a random color and style, 2nd hand is a good option. Check here and post on Parentpages too -- there are currently two available over there (contact shemac or webster). The con's of New Mama are the bad weekend crowds, and almost no sales staff present to answer questions. They change their sale items on the 5th, and I'm not sure whether that changes once or twice a month, but their crib selection was larger than that at the 兒女是寶 (children are treasures) store at Ren'Ai-Guangfu. Prices were similar at the two stores, but service was much more personal at the Ren'Ai store, which was also not crowded, so I recommend trying there first.

The cheaper cribs have plastic hardware which feels cheap on some models and a bit more rugged on some others, while the ones with sturdier build cost an arm and a leg. Most models have a side that drops (varying the railing height) and a bed base that adjusts as well.
Forumosan avatar
Dragonbones
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

ORIGINAL POSTER
39 Recommends(s)
112 Recognized(s)

Postby DiaFun » 06 Dec 2010, 15:15

Dragonbones wrote:
DiaFun wrote:Next time I come to Taipei, I'll bring the Moby (Dragonbones) and the Baby Bjorn, since it sounds like there will be takers of one sort or another. ;-) I also will see if I still have my Rosado ring slings; they're made here in Seattle and people swear by them; one is guy-sized (big) and the other is more "normal" but would still be too big for the average Taiwanese woman. The dog(s) could be carried in the ring sling, I suspect, and they are good because they go right in the washing machine without a problem. I hope I can find them! :)

Hi DiaFun, when do you think you'll be here next?

I don't have exact dates yet but I suspect it will be immediately or shortly after CNY. I will keep you posted... I'll probably :yay: when I book my flights.

I'm glad you found a crib you like. Another thing crossed off the list! :thumbsup:
Forumosan avatar
DiaFun

5 Recommends(s)
2 Recognized(s)

Postby Dragonbones » 06 Dec 2010, 15:18

DiaFun wrote:I don't have exact dates yet but I suspect it will be immediately or shortly after CNY. I will keep you posted... I'll probably :yay: when I book my flights.

Great! We look forward to meeting you.

I'm glad you found a crib you like. Another thing crossed off the list! :thumbsup:

Yeah, that's part of why we just went ahead and bought it. We had been holding out for a used one, but there's just waaaay too much stuff on our to do list between now and our due date (mid to late March). If I don't get the nursery done soon, it won't happen at all.
Forumosan avatar
Dragonbones
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

ORIGINAL POSTER
39 Recommends(s)
112 Recognized(s)

Postby divea » 06 Dec 2010, 18:15

Nursing covers are too ungainly and babies hate them. In trying to cover up the breast feeding, the baby gets covered and it is their survival instinct to kick it away and fight it. In all my years of breast feeding, very few moms have used it, and very constantly in conflict with the baby and hassled. All the other moms I know, who just used a simple throw, or scarf over their shoulder were more relaxed, ad as the baby grows, there is very little show. Not to mention, caryying one more thing around....sorry lugging.

On another note, if you are going to keep the baby in a sling, that's a cover right there.
"It is the weak who are cruel. Gentleness can only be expected from the strong. "
- Leo Roston
divea
Retired President (tuì xiū de zǒng tǒng)
Retired President (tuì xiū de zǒng tǒng)

367 Recommends(s)
116 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Proceed to Parenting