Sanctuary being torn down. We need your help!!! - click here for details
You can also visit TheSanctuaryTaiwan.org - click here to go to their contact page

Quality Coffee Beans

This is the place for Forumosans to post recipes, cooking tips and culinary-related discussions.

Re: Quality Coffee Beans

Postby tommy525 » 05 May 2012, 22:42

Chris wrote:Are the beans digested by civets? :lick:

I was in indo recently and this type of coffee even there (where it comes from) is quite expensive. LIke 200nt a cup in the malls.

My problem with that is how do we know for sure its genuine?

Or some "shit" coffee?

IF they do offer that in taiwan it would be pretty rare I would think. And I would think it would be very pricey.
Forumosan avatar
tommy525
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

586 Recommends(s)
369 Recognized(s)

Postby Steviebike » 05 May 2012, 22:43

tommy525 wrote:yes in fact the huge golden retriever blocking almost the entire entrance was what caught my attention and I went in there because the dog caught my attention.

it may be called 87c I think. something like that, i recall its a take of 85c (which is a nice chain).

Took me and the wife a while to remember the name, but it's called No.83 Coffee, 166 Zhōngzhèng Road, Danshuei District
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=No+83+cof ... CAwQ_AUoAg
Just checking but you're a South African Engrish Teachur right? No. I'm a Russian nuclear physicist.
Forumosan avatar
Steviebike
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)

70 Recommends(s)
80 Recognized(s)

Postby tommy525 » 05 May 2012, 22:45

Steviebike wrote:
tommy525 wrote:yes in fact the huge golden retriever blocking almost the entire entrance was what caught my attention and I went in there because the dog caught my attention.

it may be called 87c I think. something like that, i recall its a take of 85c (which is a nice chain).

Took me and the wife a while to remember the name, but it's called No.83 Coffee, 166 Zhōngzhèng Road, Danshuei District
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=No+83+cof ... CAwQ_AUoAg

haha thanks. I knew I had the number wrong somewhere but it was prettty close to 85c the famous chain, so I had a laugh bout that.

I regret not buying some coffee to take back to the USA with me last I was there. I thought I would drop by the store again but i didnt get a chance.
Forumosan avatar
tommy525
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

586 Recommends(s)
369 Recognized(s)

Postby Chris » 05 May 2012, 22:59

tommy525 wrote:I was in indo recently and this type of coffee even there (where it comes from) is quite expensive. LIke 200nt a cup in the malls.

My problem with that is how do we know for sure its genuine?

The only way you can be sure is to get it at the source... the plantations where they make it.
Forumosan avatar
Chris
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

85 Recommends(s)
182 Recognized(s)

Postby Mucha Man » 06 May 2012, 02:07

Chris wrote:...The only way you can be sure is to get it at the source... the plantations where they make it.

You mean the civet's ass?

Btw, great thread. Thanks for all the tips guys. Got to make a trip back to Fongda. Love their coffee.
“Everywhere else in the world is also really old” said Prof. Liu, a renowned historian at Beijing University. “We always learn that China has 5000 years of cultural heritage, and that therefore we are very special. It appears that other places also have some of this heritage stuff. And are also old. Like, really old.”

http://hikingintaiwan.blogspot.com/
Forumosan avatar
Mucha Man
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

765 Recognized(s)

Postby silmanor » 06 May 2012, 06:59

afterspivak wrote:OP: one of the key variables here is the kind of roasting style you favour. If you give us more information, we can give more specific suggestions.

I do prefer a darker roast, but I'm more concerned about location right now, which is why I didn't mention it earlier. I'm working my jimmies off right now, and with my schedule, I'm not going to be heading up to Danshui twice a month unless there's also a damn cute server girl with my name on 'er. I work near Banqiao, and spend almost all of my time in the S/W of the city. I'd most certainly be willing to sacrifice some flavor for the convenience of a nearby shop.

Tiger Mountaineer wrote:Cama is a local franchise that roasts in small batches (hence very fresh) and seems to have an interesting variety of beans. There's one on the south side of Heping 1/2 way between Dunhua and Fuxing...pricier than Costco of course though.

So far this seems to be the best, location-wise. Not sure which MRT is closest though... when I think of Heping, I think of Guting, but I have a feeling it's farther north. Whats best?

Cheers
silmanor
Càiniǎo
Càiniǎo

ORIGINAL POSTER
1 Recommends(s)

Postby SlowRain » 06 May 2012, 11:56

I've never had Kopi Luwak, but most people who are seriously into coffee regard it as a gimmick and not as a delicious cup of coffee.

I've never had Cama's brewed coffee because the location near me only offers espresso-based drinks. Unfortunately, their cappuccino tasted burnt--in the traditional Taiwanese style. I'd actually give Barista Coffee a miss, too: burnt and stale like Starbucks. Cama was at least freshly burnt. :D

I'd really recommend staying away from the larger franchises. Try to follow up on some of the independent shops. Try a couple to see which style you prefer.
Forumosan avatar
SlowRain
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)

13 Recommends(s)
5 Recognized(s)

Postby tommy525 » 06 May 2012, 12:09

Made a visit to a tiny roaster in jakarta back in 97. He had one small hand cranked roaster but he had become quite adept at roasting coffee. He gave me about 3 pounds of what he said was kopi luwak . But hes not sure if the beans really passed thru the civet cats because the quantities available were quite more then one would imagine. He was of the opinion that they were perhaps just high quality selected beans and at least with the prices for that coffee if one were to get high quality beans , it wouldnt matter if it really came out of a civets digestive tract or didnt.

Kept one pound, gave the other two away to a friend who had a very nice coffee shop in TAipei. She immediately knew the economic value (even if i didnt) and sold a cup for 300nt each. Her regular coffee was at that time around 80nt. So quite a markup and all sold out within the day . She had been to JKT and knew what a treasure (marketable to her that is) it was i gave her. She was sorry she didnt mark it up to 500nt a cup !
Forumosan avatar
tommy525
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

586 Recommends(s)
369 Recognized(s)

Postby Icon » 06 May 2012, 12:16

Got a few classmates that sell Central American coffee beans online. Anyone interested?

ps.
we also have our own version of civet cat coffee, but I am not interested in trying it.
"Lo urgente no deja tiempo para lo importante". Mafalda

"Nice guy? Who gives a shit? If you want to work here, close."
Forumosan avatar
Icon
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

657 Recommends(s)
520 Recognized(s)

Postby tommy525 » 06 May 2012, 12:58

Since we are talking about coffee, so you mind if we expound upon what makes a great cup of coffee?

Over here , I do really not like STarbucks coffee or its competitors. Everyone over here seems to be into heavy , very robust roasts, what I call thick coffee.

I don't like it.

There is only one shop around these parts which I call the HOBO CAFE , because there used to be this one very old Hobo that would stand outside that store and bum 2 dollars off everyone (that was the price of a cup of cofffee at the joint). Next there i will look at the name of the place.

But somehow they get it right. I have bought their beans and come home and tried to repeat but could not capture the taste/flavor/aroma. Perhaps it is the french sugar that they offer at their place that is making the difference?

FOR u in the berkeley area go to the intersection of college and ashby and move on college towards the campus. A block down there is a 7/11. Diagonally across it is a corner cafe. Thats the place. Great hot chocolates and coffee should you be in area.

Pretty much all the other places iv been havent equaled this place.

As for Taipei, the very very best cups of coffee iv ever had was at UESHIMA cafe on ChongSHanN.Rd. tHEY had decent meals and really just the very best coffee one could have.

It was perfect ! No matter what you ordered. A taste of heaven indeed. Just slightly bitter, not heavy coffee. Very light but flavorful. The flavor was deep but light.

Im sure it was 100pct arabica rather then robusta.

NObody has since equalled them. They have closed down now. No idea where they went.
Forumosan avatar
tommy525
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

586 Recommends(s)
369 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Proceed to Food & Drink