Pimm's

This is the place for Forumosans to post recipes, cooking tips and culinary-related discussions.

Re: Pimm's

Postby Kiwi » 04 Oct 2011, 23:50

Pimms started out as a bottled cocktail. I think the story goes that some oyster bar got so famous for its 'house punch' that they started bottling it for take out.

So. . . Since Pimms is just a pre-mixed cocktail, if you can't buy it simply make your own. Google around and you should find recipes, but from memory something like the following will give good results.

2 parts gin
1 part sweet vermouth
1 part orange liqueur (e.g. Cointreau, Grand Marnier, or Triple Sec or Curacao - best avoid the blue curacao though!)

Just shake it up in a bottle and use it exactly like you'd use Pimms. If you have the above items in your home bar you can basically churn out Pimms to order.

The above recipe can be further improved by adding a little orange bitters. Mind you, if you have orange bitters you probably have access to Pimms.

The strength of Pimms has been gradually reduced over the years, so one advantage of mixing it up yourself is using a nice high-proof gin as the base - hopefully restoring some of the lost kick.
Kiwi
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)

8 Recognized(s)

Postby Bu Lai En » 26 Nov 2011, 09:59

Did you find it? I haven't seen it anywhere, but am always on the lookout for somewhere that might have rarer liquor.
I have news. Good news from Notting Hill. The consignment of white gold for Mr Anderson has arrived.

http://theboolion.wordpress.com/ Image
Forumosan avatar
Bu Lai En
Thinking of Staging a Coup (xiǎng yào gǎo zhèng biàn)

15 Recognized(s)

Postby tomthorne » 26 Nov 2011, 10:31

Bu Lai En wrote:Did you find it? I haven't seen it anywhere, but am always on the lookout for somewhere that might have rarer liquor.

I had two bottles brought over. We're down to our last half litre now, but I won't be drinking it much in winter anyway. It's not available, officially, in Taiwan. Seems strange to me because I thought it would really appeal to the Taiwanese palate. Could be a business opportunity.
tomthorne
National Security Advisor (guójiā ānquán gùwèn)
National Security Advisor (guójiā ānquán gùwèn)

ORIGINAL POSTER
217 Recommends(s)
179 Recognized(s)

Postby Bu Lai En » 26 Nov 2011, 15:11

tomthorne wrote:
Bu Lai En wrote:Did you find it? I haven't seen it anywhere, but am always on the lookout for somewhere that might have rarer liquor.

I had two bottles brought over. We're down to our last half litre now, but I won't be drinking it much in winter anyway. It's not available, officially, in Taiwan. Seems strange to me because I thought it would really appeal to the Taiwanese palate. Could be a business opportunity.

Well there's so much liquor not available in Taiwan, that it's no surprise.
I have news. Good news from Notting Hill. The consignment of white gold for Mr Anderson has arrived.

http://theboolion.wordpress.com/ Image
Forumosan avatar
Bu Lai En

15 Recognized(s)

Postby Chris » 01 Aug 2012, 12:22

I'm enjoying a Pimm's Cup right now! (I had to bring the Pimm's from the US.)
Forumosan avatar
Chris
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

84 Recommends(s)
179 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Previous

Proceed to Food & Drink