My cocktail blog: The Boo Lion

This is the place for Forumosans to post recipes, cooking tips and culinary-related discussions.

Re: My cocktail blog: The Boo Lion

Postby Tempo Gain » 25 Mar 2012, 23:31

Saw they had some interesting looking tequilas at the carrefour. Not my cup of tea though!
Forumosan avatar
Tempo Gain
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

325 Recommends(s)
320 Recognized(s)

Postby Bu Lai En » 26 Mar 2012, 15:04

Tempo Gain wrote:Saw they had some interesting looking tequilas at the carrefour. Not my cup of tea though!

That one called 1812 or 1840 or something is pretty nice. A bit dear, but for that price (about 1200NT), good value I think, considering 'premium' tequilas usually cost closer to 2000NT.

A still think the Lunazel from Drinks is good tequila. Not super-premium, but better than most of the rubbish you see. (I can only speak for the Reposado which I bought, and the Anejo which I tried - haven't tasted the Blanco).
I have news. Good news from Notting Hill. The consignment of white gold for Mr Anderson has arrived.

http://theboolion.wordpress.com/ Image
Forumosan avatar
Bu Lai En
Thinking of Staging a Coup (xiǎng yào gǎo zhèng biàn)

ORIGINAL POSTER
15 Recognized(s)

Postby SlowRain » 17 Jun 2012, 17:18

TainanCowboy wrote:
SlowRain wrote:I'm drinking a 12-year-old Appleton right now, but I don't really recommend it.(

SR -

One of my favorite rums.

While I still don't like it for sipping, this rum goes very nicely with Coke. I think that's where it probably really shines.

Bu Lai En, or anyone else for that matter, what is a simple-yet-tasty cocktail I can make with this rum using local, common, easy to find ingredients? I'm not looking to build a cocktail bar, just a few things from the market that would go well with this rum.
Forumosan avatar
SlowRain
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)

16 Recommends(s)
5 Recognized(s)

Postby Bu Lai En » 18 Jun 2012, 15:13

SlowRain wrote:
TainanCowboy wrote:
SlowRain wrote:I'm drinking a 12-year-old Appleton right now, but I don't really recommend it.(

SR -

One of my favorite rums.

While I still don't like it for sipping, this rum goes very nicely with Coke. I think that's where it probably really shines.

Bu Lai En, or anyone else for that matter, what is a simple-yet-tasty cocktail I can make with this rum using local, common, easy to find ingredients? I'm not looking to build a cocktail bar, just a few things from the market that would go well with this rum.

Well, I don't know the Appleton, but with dark rums in general:

I love a rum and tonic. As easy as it sounds, but squeeze in a lime wedge.

The Cuba Libre makes a dull old rum and coke cower in comparison. 2oz rum, 1oz lime juice (or so) and 1/2 oz of gin (optional, but a really good touch). Stir in a tall glass with crushed ice and just top up with coke.

You could also try some Navy Highballs. Probably not quite the right kind of rum, but it wouldn't hurt.

Brian
I have news. Good news from Notting Hill. The consignment of white gold for Mr Anderson has arrived.

Forumosan avatar
Bu Lai En

ORIGINAL POSTER
15 Recognized(s)

Postby Tiger Mountaineer » 18 Jun 2012, 18:44

Lime, ginger ale, and gold rum is quite nice... garnish with some thinly sliced ginger for an extra kick.
Forumosan avatar
Tiger Mountaineer
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

11 Recommends(s)
14 Recognized(s)

Postby Dragonbones » 19 Jun 2012, 17:57

Tempo Gain wrote:
Bu Lai En wrote:
Thanks for reading it. I just dont think the 'wuzi ningmeng' are really limes. They're closer, but they're not, are they? Or I have I tried the wrong kind?

They seem limey (no offense hehe) enough to me. Thin skin, green flesh, no seeds (hence name,) lime flavor. They work well enough when I make Thai food :idunno:

We just got some 'wuzi ningmeng' in, and they smell limier than lemons, have thin skin, and a very green interior. I think maybe at least some of the wuzi ningmeng sold here are limes.
NEW! Better for you! This post is now carb-conscious, low-fat, and gluten-free!
Forumosan avatar
Dragonbones
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

39 Recommends(s)
112 Recognized(s)

Postby Bu Lai En » 19 Jun 2012, 19:13

Dragonbones wrote:
Tempo Gain wrote:
Bu Lai En wrote:
Thanks for reading it. I just dont think the 'wuzi ningmeng' are really limes. They're closer, but they're not, are they? Or I have I tried the wrong kind?

They seem limey (no offense hehe) enough to me. Thin skin, green flesh, no seeds (hence name,) lime flavor. They work well enough when I make Thai food :idunno:

We just got some 'wuzi ningmeng' in, and they smell limier than lemons, have thin skin, and a very green interior. I think maybe at least some of the wuzi ningmeng sold here are limes.

No. You are absolutely right and I take back everything I said about limes earlier. After extensive investigation I'm sure they are 100% bona fide limes. I must have just got some plain lemons passing themselves off as wuzi lemons ages ago and formed a wrong opinion form there. I use the real deal wuzi ningmeng limes all the time.

Forumosan avatar
Bu Lai En

ORIGINAL POSTER
15 Recognized(s)

Postby Bu Lai En » 03 Jul 2012, 22:14

It's Lion vs Hornet on July 14, so come down to Xindian and see me mix up a few things (or get a few things mixed up) on my first attempt at bar-tending.

http://theboolion.wordpress.com/2012/06 ... der-night/

Forumosan avatar
Bu Lai En

ORIGINAL POSTER
15 Recognized(s)

Postby SlowRain » 17 Dec 2012, 19:35

Just to mention rum again. I've noticed a few more brands recently in Taichung. Some liquor stores now have the Angostura white, Angostura 5-year-old, and Angostura 1919. I've also seen Bundaberg Original and Ron Brugal Anejo, in addition to the Ron Zacapa 15 and Bacardi 8. But I'm still hunting around for the illusive Havana Club 7-year-old in Taichung.
Forumosan avatar
SlowRain

16 Recommends(s)
5 Recognized(s)

Postby Bu Lai En » 17 Dec 2012, 22:19

SlowRain wrote:Just to mention rum again. I've noticed a few more brands recently in Taichung. Some liquor stores now have the Angostura white, Angostura 5-year-old, and Angostura 1919. I've also seen Bundaberg Original and Ron Brugal Anejo, in addition to the Ron Zacapa 15 and Bacardi 8. But I'm still hunting around for the illusive Havana Club 7-year-old in Taichung.

I haven't tried that myself yet. It and the Ron Zacapa are both somewhere near the top of the list. I want to try the Ron Brugal too. I wasn't too taken with the couple of Angosturas I tried, but some people like them.

There's a few ultra-(or possibly ultra-ultra) premium rum ranges available now at Breeze (and maybe here and there elsewhere). Dictador, Plantation and Rum Nation are all rum 'blenders'. They take Carribean rums and blend and age them. I've tasted rums from the first too, and they're delicious. The Dictador and Rum Nation rangees have prices ranging from about 2000-5000NT a bottle though, which is a bit ridiculous.

Edit: Actually, not sure if was Plantation. Something elase, maybe.

Forumosan avatar
Bu Lai En

ORIGINAL POSTER
15 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Proceed to Food & Drink