Best place in Taipei for NON farmed fish.

This is the place for Forumosans to post recipes, cooking tips and culinary-related discussions.

Best place in Taipei for NON farmed fish.

Postby cake » 05 Mar 2012, 21:12

I read that Tilapia for example contains Omega 6 fats (Omega 3 is what we are advised to consume) due to their feed consisting of corn! Some claim it was akin to eating a hotdog. Most Tilapia is farmed in China, so lord only knows what practices are carried out there from production to slaughter.
I have since stopped buying this fish. I didn't eat much of it anyway.

Most Salmon - approximately 70% is farmed now and they have caused controversy like disease and GM salmon (that grow faster) for example. And in creating 1 pound of farmed salmon more than 3 pounds of wild fish meal is consumed.

Eating at restaurants - my guess is they wouldn't have a clue if the fish was farmed or not.

Costco does label if the fish is wild or farmed. I am not sure if the 'wild' means something like off-shore cultivation" when the cages are placed in the sea or what we imagine a fish farm to be like.

Well where are the best places to buy non farmed fish?
"War is just a racket. I helped make Mexico, safe for American oil interests in 1914. I helped in the raping of half a dozen Central American republics for the benefits of Wall Street. I helped purify Nicaragua for international banking in 1909-1912. In China I helped to see to it that Standard Oil went its way unmolested" - Major General Smedley Butler
http://lexrex.com/enlightened/articles/warisaracket.htm
cake
Gravel Truck Driver (suìshí chē sījī)

ORIGINAL POSTER
Location: Dubya - who has borrowed more $$$ than the previous 42 presidents combined
27 Recognized(s)

Re: Best place in Taipei for NON farmed fish.

Postby Mucha Man » 05 Mar 2012, 21:23

Canned salmon at Costco is wild from Alaska. Alaska has no salmon farms and very healthy sustainable runs every year so you should be okay with that. It's one of the fish I regularly eat.

But yeah, it's a real concern. I'm reading Bottomfeeder now and it has turned me off farmed fish for good, including shrimp (unless you like your food raised in tanks of feces and antibiotics)

Things like bonito and mackeral should be fine. Apparently sardines are very healthy and sustainable as well. Great sources of omega-3.

A good friend who lives out in Daxi knows all the right fish to eat. It's probably more than could be explained in a post though. Whenever we go out he'll point to different fish and seems to know where it's from, and if it's farmed or wild. Lots of stuff from China including river fish. :sick:
“Everywhere else in the world is also really old” said Prof. Liu, a renowned historian at Beijing University. “We always learn that China has 5000 years of cultural heritage, and that therefore we are very special. It appears that other places also have some of this heritage stuff. And are also old. Like, really old.”

http://hikingintaiwan.blogspot.com/
Forumosan avatar
Mucha Man
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

887 Recognized(s)

Re: Best place in Taipei for NON farmed fish.

Postby cake » 08 Mar 2012, 23:22

Cheers, I will take a look at the salmon. But I am not a fan of added salts etc for preservation. I try and eat as much 'raw' as possible. I will also look into the other fish.
"War is just a racket. I helped make Mexico, safe for American oil interests in 1914. I helped in the raping of half a dozen Central American republics for the benefits of Wall Street. I helped purify Nicaragua for international banking in 1909-1912. In China I helped to see to it that Standard Oil went its way unmolested" - Major General Smedley Butler
http://lexrex.com/enlightened/articles/warisaracket.htm
cake

ORIGINAL POSTER
Location: Dubya - who has borrowed more $$$ than the previous 42 presidents combined
27 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Proceed to Food & Drink