PHO: what and where?

This is the place for Forumosans to post recipes, cooking tips and culinary-related discussions.

PHO: what and where?

Postby Rockefeller » 02 Apr 2012, 00:19

Hey there! I've got two questions for y'all:

1) What is the proper pronunciation for the vietnamese noodle soup "pho"? Is it FOE (rhymes with DOE or TOE) or FUH/FHA (like DUH, or FUggetaboutit)

2) Where can one get some good, authentic pho around Taipei? In Cali there would be Little Saigon, but I'm guessing there isn't one here (?).
Forumosan avatar
Rockefeller
Night Market Cop (yè shì tiáo zi)

ORIGINAL POSTER
79 Recognized(s)

Re: PHO: what and where?

Postby Deuce Dropper » 02 Apr 2012, 00:28

its more like 'feu' as in French for fire.

authentic?

depends what you consider authentic, Garden Grove pho isn't like Hanoi's pho, and nor is Taipei's, but you can get a decent bowl here made by Vietnamese women at several locations. and with the rate that blue collar TWese mahfakkas are marrying Vietnamese birds the opportunities to buy pho will only grow.
Forumosan avatar
Deuce Dropper
Buxiban Laoban (bǔxíbān lǎobǎn)
Buxiban Laoban (bǔxíbān lǎobǎn)

93 Recommends(s)
466 Recognized(s)

Postby Rockefeller » 02 Apr 2012, 01:08

Well, I had a friend who's mom was half irish half vietnamese. I had the good fortune to try her homemade pho. I was told his grandmother, who was 100% vietnamese, used to run a little food stall back at their home, and she was whom his mother learnt her culinary skills from. I've been to two different pho places around los angeles, one downtown and one in silverlake, and they are both run by vietnamese immigrants. The tastes weren't too far off and I've gone back to both places for their delicious vietnamese noodle soup.

So even though I can't really describe to you exactly what I tasted, if there's a place (or two) you find worth mentioning, then I would love to give that place a shot and try it out.
Forumosan avatar
Rockefeller

ORIGINAL POSTER
79 Recognized(s)

Postby Chris » 02 Apr 2012, 02:37

Best (most authentic) Vietnamese restaurant I know of in the Greater Taipei area is in Xizhi:

Vietnam Gourmet (越南美食): 414 Zhongxiao E. Rd., Xizhi.

In downtown Taipei, there's a very good restaurant called Pho; No. 12, Lane 155, Dunhua N. Rd.

(As for how "pho" is pronounced, be aware that there's a restaurant in the US called "What The Pho".)
Forumosan avatar
Chris
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

88 Recommends(s)
196 Recognized(s)

Postby Rockefeller » 28 Apr 2012, 01:09

Chris wrote:Best (most authentic) Vietnamese restaurant I know of in the Greater Taipei area is in Xizhi:

Vietnam Gourmet (越南美食): 414 Zhongxiao E. Rd., Xizhi.

In downtown Taipei, there's a very good restaurant called Pho; No. 12, Lane 155, Dunhua N. Rd.

(As for how "pho" is pronounced, be aware that there's a restaurant in the US called "What The Pho".)

Thanks Chris, since the first post I've gotten some pho at a place called Savoy (it was good), and am planning to try Vietnam Gourmet next.
I think pho is my new sushi :-)
Forumosan avatar
Rockefeller

ORIGINAL POSTER
79 Recognized(s)

Postby psidriven » 05 May 2012, 04:23

Chris wrote:(As for how "pho" is pronounced, be aware that there's a restaurant in the US called "What The Pho".)

Best name is "Pho King" in Oakland, Ca. Funny thing is they're known for their bun bo hue, not their pho.
psidriven
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)

1 Recognized(s)

Postby PapaAzucar » 20 May 2012, 22:32

Chris wrote:(As for how "pho" is pronounced, be aware that there's a restaurant in the US called "What The Pho".)

I went to a "What the Pho" restaurant in Atlanta.

As for a pho shop in Taipei, there is one in the basement floor food court in the Eslite Bookstore near the Taipei City Hall Station MRT. You may have to specifically request thin rice noodles or they will serve you thick flat rice noodles, which changes the taste a little.
PapaAzucar
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

1 Recommends(s)
1 Recognized(s)

Postby kaikai34 » 21 May 2012, 00:46

This is the best place I've been to. It's not in Taipei City, but it's just over the bridge in Yonghe.

http://g.co/maps/yf963

I guess they're fairly new since they're not on Google maps street view, but it's right there. They're closed every other Wednesday.
Forumosan avatar
kaikai34
Chinese Class Dropout (Zhōngwén kè zhōngchuòshēng)
Chinese Class Dropout (Zhōngwén kè zhōngchuòshēng)

22 Recommends(s)
34 Recognized(s)

Postby aahz » 02 Jun 2012, 09:24

I live up in Dazhi, which is up on the brown line north of the airport. There's a new pho 36 which is pretty good. There's also two other vietnamese restaurants in the area. When you get out of the MRT, head towards the university (signs for it). Actually, there's like this whole block of good restaurants (including one little off alley restaurant casa della pasta wwhich isn't pho but is probably the best and cheapest Italian food I've had in Taiwan, and a few western restaurants that are pretty good).
Forumosan avatar
aahz
Mastered ordering "beer" in Chinese (jīngtōng le yòng Guóyǔ shuō "píjiǔ")
Mastered ordering "beer" in Chinese (jīngtōng le yòng Guóyǔ shuō "píjiǔ")

1 Recognized(s)

Postby The Booted One » 02 Jun 2012, 12:21

If your looking for authentic, small stands run by actual Vietnamese people would be your best bet. There is one in an alley off of the TongHua night market. If you walk into the market From the JiLong Road side you will come to an alley on your right that has two stinky tofu stands. Turn right, walk about 30 meters and the stand and small shop is on your left. The woman is Vietnamese and has great Pho, Vietnamese sammies etc.
The Booted One
Grasshopper (cǎo měng)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Proceed to Food & Drink