Arrrr, where be the dark rum?

This is the place for Forumosans to post recipes, cooking tips and culinary-related discussions.

Arrrr, where be the dark rum?

Postby Tiger Mountaineer » 07 Apr 2012, 16:56

Has anyone seen a booze shop with a few choices of dark rum around Taipei? Preferably sth other than Capt. Morgan and Bacardi. :notworthy:
Forumosan avatar
Tiger Mountaineer
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

ORIGINAL POSTER
11 Recommends(s)
13 Recognized(s)

Re: Arrrr, where be the dark rum?

Postby jimipresley » 07 Apr 2012, 17:03

Have a look at this blog: http://theboolion.wordpress.com/2012/02 ... -two-rums/

The chap knows his way around Taiwan liquor stores.
You can live here and have a great life and not be the least bit into living the local life. Clowns will try to diss you for it saying you gotta get down with the program, but fuck em, treat this place like a buffet and yous be on a diet. Take what you want and nothing extra, slam those oysters, but leave the bread sticks and dinner rolls behind. - Deuce Dropper

I'm much more of a nasty rotter in real life, especially with vapid or vacuous verbiage from the ill read & intellectually challenged. - TheGingerMan

Don't be a cheap cunt. - Deuce Dropper
Forumosan avatar
jimipresley
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

1020 Recommends(s)
385 Recognized(s)

Postby Chris » 07 Apr 2012, 17:03

Myers's Rum is pretty easy to get here.
Forumosan avatar
Chris
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

86 Recommends(s)
193 Recognized(s)

Postby Belgian Pie » 07 Apr 2012, 17:17

Dark rum made by TTL ... cheap and available island wide ... oh, and Wellcome has some cheap dark rum ...
Belgian Pie
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

2 Recommends(s)
80 Recognized(s)

Postby Tiger Mountaineer » 07 Apr 2012, 18:25

Checked out Boo-lion's blog, but he's mostly written about rum agricole and some white rums. Anyways, picked up a bottle of Myers's Original Dark for now, though I'd still be interested in something more exotic or a shop w better selection of dark and aged rums if anyone knows of one. Cheers!
Forumosan avatar
Tiger Mountaineer

ORIGINAL POSTER
11 Recommends(s)
13 Recognized(s)

Postby asiababy » 07 Apr 2012, 20:45

Ok, this is not in Taipei, and the site is in Chinese, but they have Havana Club, Whaler's, and a few others. It's pretty easy to order online, or you could take a trip to Hsinchu...

http://www.aroma168.com.tw/category.php?id=75

This place is in Taipei, but they have less of a selection of rum:

[url]whisky.com.tw/products/index.php?type_id=196&top=0[/url]

台北市大安區樂利路63號
Da'an District, Le-Li Road, No. 63
Family-friendly events and destinations Taiwan-wide. http://kidzone-tw.blogspot.com/
asiababy
Martyr's Shrine Guard (zhōngliècí wèibīng)
Martyr's Shrine Guard (zhōngliècí wèibīng)

2 Recommends(s)
46 Recognized(s)

Postby Bu Lai En » 07 Apr 2012, 22:52

Thanks for the recommendation JP.

I've never actually tried the Myer's as I've basically been warned off.

Havana Club Anejo Especial is available for 500NT at RT Mart, and I think it's a really nice go-to cuban rum. I had it as a basic rum and tonic with a little lime the other day and it was bloody delicious.

The others I've seen, I haven't tried, but you might want to:

Havana Club 7 Year is a bit more expensive (maybe 1300), and available at Breeze.

The Angostura Rums can be seen here and there. There may be the whole range at one place I found, but I'll have to see if I can find the namecard. They sometimes get good reviews. I've seen the odd bottle here and there at other liquor stores, too.

Ron Zacapa 23 Year is a premium rum you can sometimes see at City Super or Breeze. Some people rave about it.

I might have seen Appleton at one place, but have to check.

The Jingmei liquor store I mentioned in this post has the Ron Zacapa and the Angostura 1919 (as of a couple of weeks ago).

I'll see if I can dig out some more details later.
I have news. Good news from Notting Hill. The consignment of white gold for Mr Anderson has arrived.

http://theboolion.wordpress.com/ Image
Forumosan avatar
Bu Lai En
Thinking of Staging a Coup (xiǎng yào gǎo zhèng biàn)
Thinking of Staging a Coup (xiǎng yào gǎo zhèng biàn)

15 Recognized(s)

Postby Tiger Mountaineer » 08 Apr 2012, 13:11

Hey all, thanks for the intel! More than enough options for the time being--will definitely go check out Breeze's selection again very soon. :D
Forumosan avatar
Tiger Mountaineer

ORIGINAL POSTER
11 Recommends(s)
13 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Proceed to Food & Drink