fish heads

This is the place for Forumosans to post recipes, cooking tips and culinary-related discussions.

fish heads

Postby urodacus » 22 Apr 2012, 16:05

Anyone got a good recipe for slow cooked tuna head? I have a whole tuna in the fridge cooling its heels and I'd like to do some kind of intensely flavoured slow cooked Asian meal with the head, maybe a Filipino or malay curry, or a slow roast with ginger and garlic, but not a Japanese daikon-based soup.

Yum! Fresh baby yellowfin tuna. Straight outta the sea to me.

Of course, the sashimi is to die for.
The prizes are a bottle of f*!@#$% SCOTCH and a box of cheap f!@#$#$ CIGARS!

Too many people! Almost all of the world's problems are due to overpopulation. The rest are due to religion.

50% of the world's wild animals have disappeared in the last 50 years. Did you eat them, or eat their house?
Forumosan avatar
urodacus
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

ORIGINAL POSTER
211 Recommends(s)
266 Recognized(s)

Re: fish heads

Postby tommy525 » 22 Apr 2012, 16:33

back in the day when tommy was young, his grandpappie used to make him eat the friggin eyeballs offa the fricking fish ! I can still see myself poking the eyeballs outa em fisheys and sticking the suckers down the pie hole and feeling the crunch of em eyeballs. I have no clue if it did any good for my eyesight like grandpappie used to say.

what u say?
but I was always disgusted by em eyeballs.
Forumosan avatar
tommy525
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

608 Recommends(s)
379 Recognized(s)

Postby urodacus » 22 Apr 2012, 16:57

not a fan of eyeballs, personally.

I've even managed to eat sheep's eyeballs in some weird Lebanese soup once, but never again.

Too many people! Almost all of the world's problems are due to overpopulation. The rest are due to religion.

50% of the world's wild animals have disappeared in the last 50 years. Did you eat them, or eat their house?
Forumosan avatar
urodacus
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

ORIGINAL POSTER
211 Recommends(s)
266 Recognized(s)

Postby tsukinodeynatsu » 24 Apr 2012, 14:50

I thought I did, then I realised that I don't.

I've got a recipe here for Ikan Moolie (Fish in Coconut Gravy) and Gulai Ikan (Fish in Spicy/Sour Stew), which I'd imagine would work well with fish heads. I haven't tried these particular recipes yet but everything else from this book has been pretty tasty. Would you like them?
tsukinodeynatsu
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)

57 Recommends(s)
65 Recognized(s)

Postby Tempo Gain » 24 Apr 2012, 15:03

nothing like a blasting hot kaeng leung, this looks promising, gotta do it myself

http://cuisinethai.blogspot.com/2008/02 ... curry.html
Forumosan avatar
Tempo Gain
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

325 Recommends(s)
320 Recognized(s)

Postby TaFCoML » 24 Apr 2012, 15:43

Now what is a meal without the appropriate ambiance?
Derp.
Forumosan avatar
TaFCoML
Breakfast Store Laoban (zǎocān diàn lǎobǎn)
Breakfast Store Laoban (zǎocān diàn lǎobǎn)

4 Recommends(s)
4 Recognized(s)

Postby urodacus » 24 Apr 2012, 20:40

Thanks for the recipes, guys. the Thai one in particular looks great, and I will try that in future.

The head I had ended up being slowly steamed (3 hours or so on very low) over a little liquid in a closed pot (foil pressed over the fish) containing a couple of large local garlic cloves, couple of large shallots (my garden), two inches of spicy ginger (my garden) an inch of fresh turmeric (my garden) a coupe of extra hot birds eye chillies (my garden) a couple of inches of fresh galangal (my garden), a splash of organic soy, a half cup of mirin, a sprig of pepper corns, and a healthy splash of Thai squid sauce (like fish sauce but more stinky).

Yum.

the rest of the fish appeared variously as a ceviche of tuna belly, heaps of really soft sashimi, some teriyaki steak, and a Taiwan-Japan hybrid soup made from the meaty bones and the collar with miso and Chinese cabbage and enoki mushrooms and white pepper and garlic.

Forumosan avatar
urodacus
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

ORIGINAL POSTER
211 Recommends(s)
266 Recognized(s)

Postby superking » 24 Apr 2012, 20:59

Simple fish head recipe...

1) Place fish head here...

2) Go to see him...
3) Ask to buy....
4) Fry on this...
5) Wash down with...
6) Return to bin to find...
There are millions of people in the world. And none of those people is an extra. They're all leads in their own stories.

If you lose one sense, your other senses are enhanced. That's why people with no sense of humour have an increased sense of self-importance.
superking
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)

93 Recommends(s)
343 Recognized(s)

Postby urodacus » 24 Apr 2012, 21:04

Well, you got the beer right at least.

Forumosan avatar
urodacus
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

ORIGINAL POSTER
211 Recommends(s)
266 Recognized(s)

Postby Tempo Gain » 24 Apr 2012, 22:57

urodacus wrote: couple of large shallots (my garden), two inches of spicy ginger (my garden) an inch of fresh turmeric (my garden) a coupe of extra hot birds eye chillies (my garden) a couple of inches of fresh galangal (my garden),

Nice garden!
Forumosan avatar
Tempo Gain
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

325 Recommends(s)
320 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Proceed to Food & Drink