Sanctuary being torn down. We need your help!!! - click here for details
You can also visit TheSanctuaryTaiwan.org - click here to go to their contact page

Crock pots in Taiwan...more than a crock?

This is the place for Forumosans to post recipes, cooking tips and culinary-related discussions.

Crock pots in Taiwan...more than a crock?

Postby pengyou » 13 May 2012, 09:52

I bought a Joyoung crock pot last night, brought it home, filled it halfway with water and checked the temps. Low is about 50 C, medium is 80 C and high...was too hot to manage but not quite boiling, so I am guessing more than 90, maybe 95.

The low temp on most crock pots in the u.s. seems to be about 60 C I am not sure what to do. Is it safe to cook dishes with meats set at low? Is it really a "slow cooker" if I have to use 80 C?

Do other brands of crockpots have different settings? Yoyoung makes a digital pot, for about twice the money. I am wondering if that allows the user to control the temperature (by degree setting, not just L, M, H) and the time?

Any input would be appreciated.
pengyou
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)

ORIGINAL POSTER
Location: Toufen, Miaoli....yeah, basically in the middle of nowhere :)
1 Recognized(s)

Re: Crock pots in Taiwan...more than a crock?

Postby housecat » 13 May 2012, 10:00

I could be wrong about this as I haven't looked it up, but I've always used the terms "slow cooker" and "crock pot" interchangeably, and in fact I believe that "crock pot" is actually a very old brand name for a slow cooker with a ceramic cooking vessle.

Yes, it's safe to cook meats at such low temperatures because you cook them for such long hours.

Crock pots are awsome, and one thing I have on my wish list of stuff I wish I had but don't a the moment. Have fun!
Forumosan avatar
housecat
Almost a God (jīhū shì shén)
Almost a God (jīhū shì shén)

96 Recommends(s)
115 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Proceed to Food & Drink