Would you rather drink Kentucky Bourbon or Tennessee Whiskey?

This is the place for Forumosans to post recipes, cooking tips and culinary-related discussions.

Would You Rather

Kentucky Bourbon
55%
Tennessee Whiskey
45%

Total votes : 11

Re: Would you rather drink Kentucky Bourbon or Tennessee Whiskey?

Postby urodacus » 20 May 2012, 13:31

Hobson's choice.
The prizes are a bottle of f*!@#$% SCOTCH and a box of cheap f!@#$#$ CIGARS!

Too many people! Almost all of the world's problems are due to overpopulation. The rest are due to religion.

50% of the world's wild animals have disappeared in the last 50 years. Did you eat them, or eat their house?
Forumosan avatar
urodacus
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

226 Recommends(s)
279 Recognized(s)

Postby Tiger Mountaineer » 20 May 2012, 17:50

Bourbon... but it's more a matter of the greater variety of K Bourbons vs. Tennessee whiskeys, especially here in the Wan, where you can only get JD's afaik.
Forumosan avatar
Tiger Mountaineer
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

11 Recommends(s)
14 Recognized(s)

Postby Enigma » 26 May 2012, 21:47

Whatever is cheapest!
Enigma
Time to Marry a Local (gāi qǔ tái wān lǎo pó jià tái wān lǎo gōng liǎo)
Time to Marry a Local (gāi qǔ tái wān lǎo pó jià tái wān lǎo gōng liǎo)

15 Recommends(s)
10 Recognized(s)

Postby Tempo Gain » 27 May 2012, 01:09

right now, kentucky bourbon :) mint julep season is here. mint fertilized and ready, made my simple syrup today

"To sing you must first open your mouth. You must have a pair of lungs and a little knowledge of music. It is not necessary to have an accordion, or a guitar. The essential thing is that I want to sing. Then this is a song, I'm singing..."
Forumosan avatar
Tempo Gain
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

337 Recommends(s)
327 Recognized(s)

Postby asiababy » 27 May 2012, 10:49

Tempo Gain wrote:right now, kentucky bourbon :) mint julep season is here. mint fertilized and ready, made my simple syrup today

Do you have a recipe? I've got mint growing out of control.
Family-friendly events and destinations Taiwan-wide. http://kidzone-tw.blogspot.com/
asiababy
Martyr's Shrine Guard (zhōngliècí wèibīng)
Martyr's Shrine Guard (zhōngliècí wèibīng)

2 Recommends(s)
46 Recognized(s)

Would you rather drink Kentucky Bourbon or Tennessee Whiskey?

Postby flike » 27 May 2012, 11:11

asiababy wrote:
Tempo Gain wrote:right now, kentucky bourbon :) mint julep season is here. mint fertilized and ready, made my simple syrup today

Do you have a recipe? I've got mint growing out of control.

The Wikipedia recipe works fine. The keys are the quality of the bourbon, the freshness of the mint, shaved ice, and the sugar (the raw, brown granulated sugar available in Taiwan is delicious in a julep). If you're muddling fresh mint then be sure you allow the mix to mature as the mint gives up the ghost. You don't need a julep cup to enjoy a mint julep, but it will never hurt (there's something about the way sterling silver displays condensed moisture in the spring that makes it perfect for juleps, like a kind of promise of the future). Makers Mark and Woodford Reserve are two excellent choices in bourbon, among many others not available in Taiwan.

"It is a privilege to be the stand-in for Spencer Tracy. Tracy is a fine actor, but he is most important because he understands why it is necessary to take orders from the front office." Louis B. Mayer, 1938 Academy Awards ceremony

"Why do you not sit on my lap when we talk contracts, like my other stars do?" Louis B. Mayer to Luise Rainer, 1937

"His hand always touched my right tit whenever he said the word 'daughter'." Joan Crawford, regarding Louis B. Mayer, 1938
flike
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)

23 Recommends(s)
25 Recognized(s)

Postby Tempo Gain » 27 May 2012, 17:39

asiababy wrote:Do you have a recipe? I've got mint growing out of control.

This is basically what I do: http://www.drinksmixer.com/drink5382.html

I might use more bourbon, I don't know :) I use a simple syrup instead as here: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/simple-syrup/ I double the amounts and throw a couple of mint sprigs into the mix. Keeps in the fridge for months.

Finally skip that last mint sprig and straw :)

"To sing you must first open your mouth. You must have a pair of lungs and a little knowledge of music. It is not necessary to have an accordion, or a guitar. The essential thing is that I want to sing. Then this is a song, I'm singing..."
Forumosan avatar
Tempo Gain
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

337 Recommends(s)
327 Recognized(s)

Postby Bu Lai En » 27 May 2012, 19:47

I haven't really tried Mint Juleps, but it's something I mean to explore this summer. Just got to get over to the flower market and buy a few mint plants.

This guy, Chris Macmillian is a very well respected New Orleans bartender and cocktail historian. Here's his recipe for the Mint Julep. Note he's using Maker's Mark. You can get that at the place over by Linsen N Rd, mentioned in the thread on Bourbon (for a couple of hundred NT cheaper than other places):

(and how the hell do you add a youtube video?)
Last edited by Tempo Gain on 27 May 2012, 20:19, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed youtube link
I have news. Good news from Notting Hill. The consignment of white gold for Mr Anderson has arrived.

http://theboolion.wordpress.com/ Image
Forumosan avatar
Bu Lai En
Thinking of Staging a Coup (xiǎng yào gǎo zhèng biàn)
Thinking of Staging a Coup (xiǎng yào gǎo zhèng biàn)

15 Recognized(s)

Postby Tempo Gain » 09 Jun 2012, 22:32

Ahhh my kid's Hello Kitty ice shaver works perfect

Forumosan avatar
Tempo Gain
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

337 Recommends(s)
327 Recognized(s)

Postby housecat » 10 Jun 2012, 08:21

Tempo Gain wrote:Ahhh my kid's Hello Kitty ice shaver works perfect

Forumosan avatar
housecat
Almost a God (jīhū shì shén)
Almost a God (jīhū shì shén)

96 Recommends(s)
115 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Previous

Proceed to Food & Drink