Sanctuary being torn down. We need your help!!! - click here for details
You can also visit TheSanctuaryTaiwan.org - click here to go to their contact page

Ham, Baked Beans and Ale

This is the place for Forumosans to post recipes, cooking tips and culinary-related discussions.

Ham, Baked Beans and Ale

Postby SloanRanger » 15 Jun 2012, 04:14

Hi friends! I'm moving to Banqiao from the UK with my wife in a few weeks time.

There a few British staples that I will miss and I wondered if anyone could give me some advice on if and where I might be able to find the following around Taipei and Banqiao

1. Baked Beans (Heinz only) - or even Beans & Sausages
2. Proper ham - not smoked, nor reconstituted and definitely not Spam
3. Ale - a decent beer that isn't sweet, fizzy or Guiness

It's not like I need these things on a daily basis but I'm slightly worried that after about a month or so I'm going to get a hankering for something familiar and want to be prepared.

Many thanks in advance
SloanRanger
Mastered ordering "beer" in Chinese (jīngtōng le yòng Guóyǔ shuō "píjiǔ")

ORIGINAL POSTER
5 Recognized(s)

Re: Ham, Baked Beans and Ale

Postby Dragonbones » 15 Jun 2012, 09:07

Please post search items singly.
Please search before posting new threads.
Please use the Food forum for food items.

Thank you.
--the moderator
Now selling homestyle baked goods (cookies, brownies, baklava, pies, sourdough bread, whole-wheat sourdough bagels and cakes) made with many organic, fair-trade and/or local pesticide-free ingredients. Visit https://www.facebook.com/segoviaskitchen‎ or http://www.taiwanease.com/en/forums/pos ... tml#p92536 for info.
Forumosan avatar
Dragonbones
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

39 Recommends(s)
104 Recognized(s)

Postby Big Doggy Daddy » 26 Jun 2012, 10:36

Webspar imports hard-to-find goodies from the UK and South Africa, and delivers too, although the shop is not far from Banqiao too. www.webspartaiwan.com
Forumosan avatar
Big Doggy Daddy
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

Postby BigJohn » 26 Jun 2012, 11:43

SloanRanger wrote:Hi friends! I'm moving to Banqiao from the UK with my wife in a few weeks time.

There a few British staples that I will miss and I wondered if anyone could give me some advice on if and where I might be able to find the following around Taipei and Banqiao

It's not like I need these things on a daily basis but I'm slightly worried that after about a month or so I'm going to get a hankering for something familiar and want to be prepared.

Many thanks in advance

Go to On Tap
Forumosan avatar
BigJohn
National Security Advisor (guójiā ānquán gùwèn)

110 Recognized(s)

Postby Mick » 26 Jun 2012, 11:54

SloanRanger wrote:Hi friends! I'm moving to Banqiao from the UK with my wife in a few weeks time.

Many thanks in advance

With a shopping list of Heinz baked beans, ham and Ale, I hardly think you needed to tell us you were from the UK :) That being said, Jasons at 101 is usually good for foreign items, more expensive though, I go there for Pataks curry paste as its the only place I have found in Taiwan that sells it. RT mart is cheaper, they usually stock another brand of baked beans which is ok and have a small deli and the wine section is probably one of the best here.
Forumosan avatar
Mick
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)

51 Recommends(s)
85 Recognized(s)

Postby cranky laowai » 26 Jun 2012, 12:03

To get those items in Banqiao, try Jason's (in FE21) or City Super (Mega City), both of which are near the Banqiao train station and "Banqiao" MRT stop.
Forumosan avatar
cranky laowai

37 Recommends(s)
41 Recognized(s)

Postby Dragonbones » 26 Jun 2012, 19:31

1. Baked Beans (Heinz only) - or even Beans & Sausages: Maybe Wellman's in Tianmu or the high-end import supers (Far Eastern, City Super, Breeze Super, or Jason's)
2. Proper ham - not smoked, nor reconstituted and definitely not Spam: deli's at the above latter group
3. Ale - a decent beer that isn't sweet, fizzy or Guiness: all of the above; also see the Beer threads in Food.
Now selling homestyle baked goods (cookies, brownies, baklava, pies, sourdough bread, whole-wheat sourdough bagels and cakes) made with many organic, fair-trade and/or local pesticide-free ingredients. Visit https://www.facebook.com/segoviaskitchen‎ or http://www.taiwanease.com/en/forums/pos ... tml#p92536 for info.
Forumosan avatar
Dragonbones
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

39 Recommends(s)
104 Recognized(s)

Postby Charlie Phillips » 27 Jun 2012, 01:41

cranky laowai wrote:To get those items in Banqiao, try Jason's (in FE21) or City Super (Mega City), both of which are near the Banqiao train station and "Banqiao" MRT stop.

Ignore all the other posts except cranky's. There's no reason to order online or travel to dreary old Taipei or over-rated Tianmu. You can get everything you want at the Banqiao shopping malls mentioned above.
"Why do you want gas? It's hot. You can have cold showers" ~gas delivery man height of summer, 2010.

"Why you wear so many clothes? You are foreigner. Foreign countries are cold." buxiban owner, depth of winter 2011.
Forumosan avatar
Charlie Phillips
Immune to Breathalizers (jiǔ cèce bù chūlái)
Immune to Breathalizers (jiǔ cèce bù chūlái)

81 Recommends(s)
161 Recognized(s)

Postby Dragonbones » 27 Jun 2012, 10:49

Sure, but he specified "around Taipei and Banqiao", so we answered accordingly. :wink:
Forumosan avatar
Dragonbones
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

39 Recommends(s)
104 Recognized(s)

Postby SloanRanger » 02 Jul 2012, 04:59

That's brilliant everyone, thanks so much for this advice :)

It sounds like I needn't pack my suitcase with too many tins of beans! I think I'll try all those places but it's brilliant that there's two shops in Banqiao as well, that was really more than I'd hoped for.

If you see someone looking sunburnt by a deli counter in august that'll be me!

Cheers

Paul
SloanRanger

ORIGINAL POSTER
5 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Proceed to Food & Drink