Apple juice

This is the place for Forumosans to post recipes, cooking tips and culinary-related discussions.

Moderator: ceevee369

Apple juice

Postby Nuit » 12 Jul 2012, 21:21

We currently get our apple juice from one of the local organic stores.
Even discounted at 6 bottles a time, it's expensive, not even a litre (946ml) and I only drink it quicker when it's in the house.
This sort of stuff.

What are the alternatives? Could someone price me up the CostCo apple juice, per litre?
I'd be happy enough with a decent juice from concentrate (there, I've said it), but I've never seen any anywhere here.
Delivery in bulk would be v good! I know I won't find Waitrose, but just for an idea of what I'm after...

It's raining again here. I'm rising up like a beautiful bubble to the surface.

A wicked wind whips up the hill, a handful of hopeful words.
I was what you would call seriously strung out.
Forumosan avatar
Nuit
Mando-pop Singer (Guóyǔ liúxíng gēshǒu)
Mando-pop Singer (Guóyǔ liúxíng gēshǒu)

ORIGINAL POSTER
67 Recommends(s)
85 Recognized(s)

Re: Apple juice

Postby headhonchoII » 07 Dec 2012, 13:43

Maybe you could get juice from apples?
Also, I bet apple juice has tonnes of fructose, I wonder how healthy it really is, or for kids teeth?
I can remember the fourth of July runnin' through the backwood bare.
And I can still hear my old hound dog barkin' chasin' down a hoodoo there
Chasin' down a hoodoo there.
headhonchoII
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

1301 Recommends(s)
503 Recognized(s)

Postby Charlie Phillips » 07 Dec 2012, 14:16

Nuit wrote: I know I won't find Waitrose, but just for an idea of what I'm after...

I didn't notice Waitrose apple juice but my local Wellcome has just started stocking Waitrose products this month. I also noticed they just started to stock a two litre glass bottle of apple juice in the fresh fruit section just this week. I don't remember the price.
"Why do you want gas? It's hot. You can have cold showers" ~gas delivery man height of summer, 2010.

"Why you wear so many clothes? You are foreigner. Foreign countries are cold." buxiban owner, depth of winter 2011.
Forumosan avatar
Charlie Phillips
Immune to Breathalizers (jiǔ cèce bù chūlái)

73 Recommends(s)
145 Recognized(s)

Postby Icon » 07 Dec 2012, 14:19

I quit juice because of my diet -eat the fruit! says the nutritionist-, but before, I did the same: order the box of organic at Santa Cruz, different brand though. Very nice.

The ones at Costco, IMHO, taste horribly, except possibly the South African one, it is a bit better, but as said, too sweet. It is the cheapest alternative.

I like to order at juice shops/make at home apple juice with celery. Great stuff. Even organic gets a bit expensive but you can add water.
"Lo urgente no deja tiempo para lo importante". Mafalda

"Nice guy? Who gives a shit? If you want to work here, close."
Forumosan avatar
Icon
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

529 Recommends(s)
411 Recognized(s)

Postby Dragonbones » 07 Dec 2012, 14:22

Apples tend to have one of the highest levels of pesticide residues.
Most come from China, and some of the pesticides used are banned ones.
You're best off IMO ordering by the case from local organic farmers and juicing them yourself.
Now selling homestyle baked goods (cookies, brownies, baklava, pies, & cakes) made with many organic, fair-trade and/or local pesticide-free ingredients, as well as many of those ingredients themselves, at our shop in Donghu (Neihu). Visit https://www.facebook.com/segoviaskitchen‎ or http://www.taiwanease.com/en/forums/pos ... tml#p92536 for info.
Forumosan avatar
Dragonbones
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

36 Recommends(s)
92 Recognized(s)

Postby Charlie Phillips » 07 Dec 2012, 19:58

Charlie Phillips wrote:
Nuit wrote: I know I won't find Waitrose, but just for an idea of what I'm after...

I didn't notice Waitrose apple juice but my local Wellcome has just started stocking Waitrose products this month. I also noticed they just started to stock a two litre glass bottle of apple juice in the fresh fruit section just this week. I don't remember the price.

Update: I was in my local Wellcome and noted the only Waitrose products are jam, marmalade, instant coffee (yick) and teabags.

The apple juice they sell is Japanese and priced @ $299. The brand is called Fujiko, written in Japanese. No English on the label. It's cloudy, not the filtered crap.
"Why do you want gas? It's hot. You can have cold showers" ~gas delivery man height of summer, 2010.

"Why you wear so many clothes? You are foreigner. Foreign countries are cold." buxiban owner, depth of winter 2011.
Forumosan avatar
Charlie Phillips

73 Recommends(s)
145 Recognized(s)

Postby Dragonbones » 10 Dec 2012, 17:56

Might be radioactive.
Forumosan avatar
Dragonbones
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

36 Recommends(s)
92 Recognized(s)

Postby urodacus » 10 Dec 2012, 18:38

Dragonbones wrote:Might be radioactive.

Ah, c'mon DB: where's the smiley then?

the Japanese public are so freaked out by radiation now that kindergartens are emptied when a man wearing a luminous watch walks past. There's no way any radioactive apples have been allowed to get into the food chain. They even have been burning rice with as little as double background radiation levels from the adjacent prefectures rather than sell perfectly good stuff (or exporting it, which is better than Taiwan would do).
The prizes are a bottle of f*!@#$% SCOTCH and a box of cheap f!@#$#$ CIGARS!
Forumosan avatar
urodacus
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

169 Recommends(s)
215 Recognized(s)

Postby Cheskagraham » 10 Jan 2013, 14:06

I had been tried organic apple juice, it provides antioxidants that help prevent cancer and heart disease.
Cheskagraham
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

x

Return to Food & Drink