Apples from Chile? Really?

This is the place for Forumosans to post recipes, cooking tips and culinary-related discussions.

Apples from Chile? Really?

Postby zender » 17 Aug 2012, 19:39

I am currently munching on a tasty apple that the sticker claims is from Chile. I couldn't be happier. Really. :lick:

It is a perfect apple, and I don't care too much where it was grown. I'm just pleased to have such a juicy piece of fruit for NT$20.

I'm just wondering what the odds are that it really came all the way from Chile rather than, say, from across the straits.

What are the odds? :ponder:
zender
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)

ORIGINAL POSTER
85 Recommends(s)
119 Recognized(s)

Re: Apples from Chile? Really?

Postby Deuce Dropper » 17 Aug 2012, 19:40

its safe to say its from Chile
Forumosan avatar
Deuce Dropper
Buxiban Laoban (bǔxíbān lǎobǎn)
Buxiban Laoban (bǔxíbān lǎobǎn)

93 Recommends(s)
468 Recognized(s)

Postby zender » 17 Aug 2012, 19:41

Really? Convince me!

I know Chile exports apples. I've also read that China is the world's number one apple exporter.

I'm happy with these apples, and I'm not sayin' you're wrong. Just wonderin' . . .
zender

ORIGINAL POSTER
85 Recommends(s)
119 Recognized(s)

Postby Dragonbones » 17 Aug 2012, 20:18

You said it was a perfect apple. It is therefore not from China. Case closed.
NEW! Better for you! This post is now carb-conscious, low-fat, and gluten-free!
Forumosan avatar
Dragonbones
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

39 Recommends(s)
112 Recognized(s)

Postby zender » 17 Aug 2012, 20:32

Okay. I lied a bit. When I said it was "perfect", I was referring to the taste only. It was a Fuji Apple that was slightly asymmetrical and had a very minor brown area approximately one fifth the size of my pinky nail.

It was mostly red, but it was yellowish on one side.

I also lied a little about the price. It was exactly NT$19. I rounded this up in my earlier post to NT$20. I should have leveled with you guys from the start. I hope you can forgive me for misleading you. :bow:

I bought 12 of them. That is the truth. :neutral:

Are they unable to grow such apples in China and get them to us at a lower price than those clever people in Chile?
----------------------------------------------
I've also purchased apples recently that claimed to be from New Zealand. I wonder . . . :ponder:

Perhaps that should be another thread.
zender

ORIGINAL POSTER
85 Recommends(s)
119 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Proceed to Food & Drink