Home Brewing and Winemaking Supplies?

This is the place for Forumosans to post recipes, cooking tips and culinary-related discussions.

Moderator: ceevee369

Homebrew kits

Postby almas john » 15 Mar 2004, 00:01

I've had a strange craving of late. Yes, looking at my stomach, I do indeed look pregnant!!
Has anyone seen homebrew (beer) kits for sale in Taiwan?
Or has anyone tried shipping them in?

It would be bloody good to get back on the homebrew; cheaper than (bottled) water and better for you.

Cheers.
almas john
Former City Mayor (qiánrèn shìzhǎng)
Former City Mayor (qiánrèn shìzhǎng)

ORIGINAL POSTER
20 Recommends(s)
56 Recognized(s)

Postby daltongang » 15 Mar 2004, 00:51

I know Geert in Kaohsiung who wholesales the Belgian beer had them in the past. Sorry I don't have his contact info anymore, maybe someone could post it?
daltongang
Eldest Grandchild (zhǎngsūn)
Eldest Grandchild (zhǎngsūn)

Postby JeffG » 31 Mar 2004, 22:55

There is or at least used to be another thread that talks about home brew kits on Forumosa, but I cannot find it.

Several years ago I believe there used to be a store somewhere on Keelung (Jilong) Road that used to sell the equipment. Maybe you can drive up and down the street and see if you can locate it.

ATTN: American Citizens living in Taiwan, please support American Citizens Abroad - ACA http://www.americansabroad.org/

Americans living in Taiwan write to your senators and representatives and ask them to repeal FATCA and support residency based taxation (RBT) for Americans living abroad!

The future is something which everyone reaches at the rate of sixty minutes an hour, whatever he does, whoever he is.
C.S. Lewis
Forumosan avatar
JeffG
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)

7 Recognized(s)

Home Brewing and Winemaking Supplies?

Postby bscottparker » 20 Mar 2005, 21:24

Hi all-

Looking for any tips on where to find home brewing and winemaking supplies in Taiwan -- hops, fining agents, malt, corn sugar, juice concentrates, and the like. Can't get it shipped to me through the mail from the states due to weight/size limitations and prohibitions on shipping liquids.

Any tips would be welcome!

Thanks.

Brad
Hi-

In Taipei for the next four years - next six months for language, after that for work. Looking to do more active things in Taiwan -- mountain biking, hiking, racquetball (does it exist here?) etc. Also looking to practice my Chinese.
bscottparker
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

Postby TainanCowboy » 21 Mar 2005, 09:03

Good luck fellow home brewer.
I sold ALL of my stuff because I did not think the climate here was conducive to home brewing.
Now I think I could have done ale during the winter months.
If you decide you want to buy from the US and have things shipped to you, PM me and I can put you in contact with the brew shop I patronized in southern California who probably would work with you to ship what you need to you.
Relax, have a homebrew!
"Pardon him, Theodotus; he is a barbarian and thinks that the customs of his tribe and island are the laws of nature" --- "Caesar and Cleopatra"...G.B. Shaw
-----
Kid Rock - Born Free
-----
"The big sisters are usually hot, but the dads smell of alcohol and tobacco....and have dirty feet with dead toe nails in blue slippers. "...Bob_Honest on "The Culture"
------
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes
------
Isaiah 40:31
Forumosan avatar
TainanCowboy
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

104 Recommends(s)
49 Recognized(s)

Zymurgists get better Head!

Postby Dragonbones » 21 Mar 2005, 17:54

I'm a fellow brewer, and sold all my equipment before moving here. My impression is that homebrew isn't strictly legal here, BTW.
I've never seen equipment or supplies anywhere, but I can put you in touch with the Winemaker Shop, Columbus OH if you're interested. They'll ship anything, and I'm sure they can label things in friendly ways. Hey, it's just a bag of sugar! :wink:

DO note that you don't need to ship liquids for homebrewing; malts come in dry powder form too, and work just as well as they cans of malt syrup. The powder is still heavy, but can be shipped by surface mail to save money. Also, you can lager in a waist-high frig or spare frig too, if you want.

If you have any more brewing comments or questions, I'd love to chat since this was my favorite hobby back then!
Forumosan avatar
Dragonbones
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

36 Recommends(s)
92 Recognized(s)

Postby bscottparker » 29 Mar 2005, 17:22

When I was in Latin America I used to use a company from Minnesota called Midwest Brewing (www.midwestsupplies.com) -- I can receive small beer kits from them through a limited US postal service that I can use through AIT, but the liquid volumes and weights are strictly limited.
I was hoping to be able to make some wine from local sources since I'm here for four years, and off the shelf wine is somewhat expensive. I've made a few batches of beer here with no real problems, but was really looking forward to the wine. Oh well, guess it's just beer for now...

-Brad
Hi-

In Taipei for the next four years - next six months for language, after that for work. Looking to do more active things in Taiwan -- mountain biking, hiking, racquetball (does it exist here?) etc. Also looking to practice my Chinese.
bscottparker

home brew kits

Postby xixiegwei » 31 May 2005, 13:26

anyone know where I can get home brew kits or ingredients for beer or wine in Taipei? Thanks.
xixiegwei

Postby JMcNeill » 12 Jun 2005, 13:51

Does anybody know of the legality of home brewing in Taiwan? One reason I am looking forward to moving out of my hotel in Tainan and into an apartment in Taichung is to be able to start making home brew again. I'm sure ingredients can be bought on the internet and shipped here with relative ease if it is legal.
JMcNeill
Chinese Class Dropout (Zhōngwén kè zhōngchuòshēng)

2 Recommends(s)

Postby bobl » 13 Aug 2005, 21:21

It's too hot for lagers here unless you can convert a refrigerator and use a thermostat. I have made ales here with good success. In the winter it was fine as is, in the summer months I used a 5 Gallon soda keg wrapped in foam rubber and then pumped water around the foam like an evap. cooler. I used an aquarium pump and some cheap tubing. I have also seen people use the cooling element from one of those 12V battery powered coolers, placed in contact with the outside of the soda keg. Works pretty good. Home brewing is legal here. My wife found a chinese website devoted to the fine art in Taiwan. There are also suppliers in Gaoxiong and Taipei, but they don't have the fancy stuff. If you can read Chinese I could ask her for the link.
Cheers
bobl

Next

x

Return to Food & Drink