Marmite?

This is the place for Forumosans to post recipes, cooking tips and culinary-related discussions.

Marmite?

Postby Flicka » 09 May 2002, 09:54

Where can I find Marmite in Taipei? I am seriously suffering from Marmite withdrawl. Help!
Forumosan avatar
Flicka
Wild Chicken Bus Driver (yě jī chē sī jī)

ORIGINAL POSTER
1 Recommends(s)
6 Recognized(s)

Marmite?

Postby Traveller » 11 May 2002, 05:11

I echo that. Have been looking for about a year and found no one that stocks it, fortunately you can get it in Hong Kong, and I have occassional friends coming out from UK who bring some.

If anyone knows of a regular stockist then let the rest of us know !!

[img]images/smiles/converted/cc_clankiller.gif[/img]
Traveller
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)

Marmite?

Postby Lizzee » 11 May 2002, 05:24

I use Tesco's "Yeast Extract"....it's really good.
Lizzee.
Lizzee

Marmite?

Postby Flicka » 12 Jun 2002, 10:00

I found Vegemite and generic Marmite (Tesco-brand Marmite, tastes almost the same, although purists might be offended) at the intl. grocery store on the left side of Zhongshan once you cross Tianmu. A little pricey though.
Forumosan avatar
Flicka

ORIGINAL POSTER
1 Recommends(s)
6 Recognized(s)

Marmite?

Postby sandman » 12 Jun 2002, 10:33

BEWARE of Tesco products being sold outside of Tesco. Either the shopkeeper went to Tesco and is selling on the stuff at vastly inflated prices, or more ominously, he has found a source for past-the-sell-by-date produce and is selling that. Check carefully, because the Tesco store in Taoyuan has a problem with over-dated stuff that hasn't sold.

In the past, they just left in on the shelves, but too many people (like me, for instance)noticed and complained.

Maybe this is a new "made in Taiwan" way for them to get rid of bad food.

Caveat emptor.
sandman
Manjusri (Wénshū)

28 Recommends(s)
199 Recognized(s)

Marmite?

Postby Hobart » 15 Jun 2002, 15:46

YUCK!!!!!!!!
Forumosan avatar
Hobart
Time to Marry a Local (gāi qǔ tái wān lǎo pó jià tái wān lǎo gōng liǎo)
Time to Marry a Local (gāi qǔ tái wān lǎo pó jià tái wān lǎo gōng liǎo)

Marmite?

Postby QuietMountain » 15 Jun 2002, 15:58

I agree wholeheartedly with Hobart... Yuck. I would think that Marmite withdraw would be a GOOD thing.

Once on a trip to England a friend of mine gave me some on toast, with the prerequisite cup of tea. It was supposed to be a cure for my "iffy" stomach. It just made my stomach more "iffy."

I know it's probably an acquired taste. It just happens to be a taste I don't want to acquire.

Jonathan
Forumosan avatar
QuietMountain
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)

Postby Nunfay » 18 Jan 2004, 05:08

Flicka.....prepare to part with muchas guanxi:

Go to the 101 department store, I know it's awful, but it'll be worth it. There is a supermarket downstairs, basement floor by all the food places, called 'Jason's", and they sell Marmite. I know because I heard through the grapevine that they sell Crunchies too (the Cadbury's chocolates) and I saw Marmite there! Didn't buy any because I still have a huge jar my dad brought over.
Well.....what are you waiting for?? Off you go!!
Nunfay
Càiniǎo
Càiniǎo

Postby iris » 19 Jan 2004, 18:13

Nunfay wrote:Go to the 101 department store, I know it's awful, but it'll be worth it. There is a supermarket downstairs, basement floor by all the food places, called 'Jason's", and they sell Marmite. I know because I heard through the grapevine that they sell Crunchies too (the Cadbury's chocolates) and I saw Marmite there!!

Didn't check on Marmite there as I keep importing it from Singapore. But apart from one brand of English licorice and the REAL Mon Cheri (the one with liquor cherry inside), I couldn't find anything special there. They mostly seem to carry the same stuff that Wellcome does. I usually prefer the Breeze Supermarket. Have you checked on Marmite there, Flicka? It's much more conveniently located, too (at least for me :oops: )

Iris
Iris in transition: Are we there yet?
Forumosan avatar
iris
Street Dog Chaser (zhuīgǎn liúlàng gǒu)
Street Dog Chaser (zhuīgǎn liúlàng gǒu)

Re: Marmite?

Postby gazza » 18 Feb 2004, 17:55

Lizzee wrote:I use Tesco's "Yeast Extract"....it's really good.
Lizzee.

You forgot to mention that the jar is HUGE and cheap compared to most of the marmite/vegemite sold here.
Forumosan avatar
gazza
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)

1 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Proceed to Food & Drink