Quinoa, buckwheat, millet...that kind of stuff

This is the place for Forumosans to post recipes, cooking tips and culinary-related discussions.

Quinoa, buckwheat, millet...that kind of stuff

Postby Jubom » 28 Sep 2005, 15:01

Okay, so I am planning on a trip back to TW in December, and I am wondering if any of this stuff is available there since my diet has changed considerably in the past two years (now sugar-free, wheat-free, and gluten-free):

Quinoa
Buckwheat (hot cereal preferred)
Millet
Spelt bread
Organic vegetables/fruits

Do most restaurants give you the option of brown rice? Or just white rice?

Gotta know what to pack to bring back with me.....(lord, I can already see and hear my family giving me sh*t about eating differently than they do.....oh well. They can laugh all they want.)
Jubom
Good fortune all the way! (fán róng de dào lù)

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby sojourner » 28 Sep 2005, 15:13

I've often seen buckwheat sold at the big supermarket chains (i.e. Wellcome).

As for the rest, unlikely except at specialty shops.

Brown rice is not regularly available at restaurants. The vegetarian places often offer this purple kind which is fantastic if it isn't over cooked (which it almost always is).

Happy packing
Forumosan avatar
sojourner
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

Postby Belgian Pie » 28 Sep 2005, 15:15

I have quinoa :), also buckwheat flour. Millet you can buy in any wellcome or supermarket, most have a small display with several granes etc ...

Wellcome has a few organic products.
Belgian Pie
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

2 Recommends(s)
79 Recognized(s)

Postby sandman » 28 Sep 2005, 15:30

Millet and organic veggies are pretty easy. Most restaurants won't have a brown rice option, apart from veggie ones, which usually do.
Buckwheat is very occasionally available as an expensive imported item. Best bring your own. Quinoa, I don't really know what that is -- they use it for pasta don't they? I doubt if you'll find it.
Spelt bread I very much doubt.

Should this be in the Food Forum, mod?
sandman
Manjusri (Wénshū)

28 Recommends(s)
199 Recognized(s)

Postby Jubom » 28 Sep 2005, 15:32

Thanks! Care to share where you found the quinoa and how much it cost?

From the looks of it, millet seems to be the easiest find. Mighty good. I hope I can find buckwheat noodles without wheat in it. (Some of the health food stores here in LA sell buckwheat noodles......but upon closer examination, buckwheat is only like 20 some percent while the rest is wheat.....)

Thanks guys.
Jubom
Good fortune all the way! (fán róng de dào lù)

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby TainanCowboy » 28 Sep 2005, 15:33

YO!...whats up!
"Pardon him, Theodotus; he is a barbarian and thinks that the customs of his tribe and island are the laws of nature" --- "Caesar and Cleopatra"...G.B. Shaw
-----
Kid Rock - Born Free
-----
"The big sisters are usually hot, but the dads smell of alcohol and tobacco....and have dirty feet with dead toe nails in blue slippers. "...Bob_Honest on "The Culture"
------
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes
------
Isaiah 40:31
Forumosan avatar
TainanCowboy
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

103 Recommends(s)
49 Recognized(s)

Postby sandman » 28 Sep 2005, 15:52

Actually, this thread should be killed, seeing as how Belgian Pie has proved me wrong in the other thread. Apologies Jubom. I had no idea you could get those things here.
sandman
Manjusri (Wénshū)

28 Recommends(s)
199 Recognized(s)

Postby Belgian Pie » 28 Sep 2005, 16:07

Thanks! Care to share where you found the quinoa and how much it cost?

One of my restaurant purveyors gets it from Canada ... but it's quite expensive ... 300+NT$ per kg

I have buckwheat flour (meal) ... you could mix it freely with any other flour or meal ... import from holland

Wellcome and other supermarkets have buckwheat seeds too ... forgot that one sorry ... :s
Belgian Pie
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

2 Recommends(s)
79 Recognized(s)

Postby Mucha Man » 29 Sep 2005, 10:24

A lot of this stuff is availabe at City Super in the Far East Mall on Dunhua. Buckkwheat soba noodles come from Japan. I have some at home so I'l check later if they are 100% buckwheat.

City Super also has organic veggis but I like to shop at Cottonfields just south of Taipower MRT station for these. Most supermarkets have some organic produce now. I've heard you can get organic veggies delivered from farms in Hualian. keep meaning to check on this.
“Everywhere else in the world is also really old” said Prof. Liu, a renowned historian at Beijing University. “We always learn that China has 5000 years of cultural heritage, and that therefore we are very special. It appears that other places also have some of this heritage stuff. And are also old. Like, really old.”

http://hikingintaiwan.blogspot.com/
Forumosan avatar
Mucha Man
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

801 Recognized(s)

Postby Belgian Pie » 29 Sep 2005, 10:37

I know that there are several organic food stores (chain store) around Taipei ... they sell all kind of organic granes, veggies, health care and personal care products ... one I know and have visited already is on Xinyi Rd. close to Da'an park ... on the left side when coming from the presidential palace and before Da'an park. Actually not too far from Alleycats.

Just checked their business card and they have around 8 stores in Taipei and it's 'Cottonfield' as Muzha man posted.
Belgian Pie
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

2 Recommends(s)
79 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Proceed to Food & Drink