WCIF sour cream?

This is the place for Forumosans to post recipes, cooking tips and culinary-related discussions.

Moderator: ceevee369

Re: WCIF sour cream?

Postby Icon » 15 May 2012, 16:38

Bu Lai En wrote:
Icon wrote:Any word on the current -and I emphasize current- availability of sour cream in Costco (or elsewhere, BTW, I've only seen it in City Super)? Xizhi, perhaps? I really do not want to head to Neihu just for the sour cream and be dissapointed. None in Yonghe, last time I was there.

The DIY baking store in Zhonghe always has sour cream and Mascarpone (much cheaper than the sour cream at Breeze or the Mascarpone at Carrefour). I saw them last Friday.

Yep, the baking stores always have, but only the smaller tub, AFAIK. The big tub I've only seen in Costco.
"Lo urgente no deja tiempo para lo importante". Mafalda

"Nice guy? Who gives a shit? If you want to work here, close."
Forumosan avatar
Icon
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

534 Recommends(s)
416 Recognized(s)

Postby Bu Lai En » 15 May 2012, 16:43

Icon wrote:
Bu Lai En wrote:
Icon wrote:Any word on the current -and I emphasize current- availability of sour cream in Costco (or elsewhere, BTW, I've only seen it in City Super)? Xizhi, perhaps? I really do not want to head to Neihu just for the sour cream and be dissapointed. None in Yonghe, last time I was there.

The DIY baking store in Zhonghe always has sour cream and Mascarpone (much cheaper than the sour cream at Breeze or the Mascarpone at Carrefour). I saw them last Friday.

Yep, the baking stores always have, but only the smaller tub, AFAIK. The big tub I've only seen in Costco.

The tubs I'm thinking of are about a litre. Is that a small tub?
I have news. Good news from Notting Hill. The consignment of white gold for Mr Anderson has arrived.

http://theboolion.wordpress.com/ Image
Forumosan avatar
Bu Lai En
Thinking of Staging a Coup (xiǎng yào gǎo zhèng biàn)

13 Recognized(s)

Postby Icon » 15 May 2012, 17:11

Bu Lai En wrote:
Icon wrote:
Bu Lai En wrote:

The tubs I'm thinking of are about a litre. Is that a small tub?

The one I'm thinking is http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.as ... lang=en-US

The little one is the one found in Jason's, City Super.

Forumosan avatar
Icon
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

534 Recommends(s)
416 Recognized(s)

Postby Dragonbones » 15 May 2012, 18:09

I did not see any at the Neihu Costco half an hour ago. They had Mascarpone btw, $195 for 500g.

The Minquan bridge DIY baking store (Yixing) was out, but Dragonbabe said she saw someone unloading a case marked sour cream there as we were leaving. Call first if you want to confirm availability and price at Yixing: 2760-8115
Now selling homestyle baked goods (cookies, brownies, baklava, pies, & cakes) made with many organic, fair-trade and/or local pesticide-free ingredients, as well as many of those ingredients themselves, at our shop in Donghu (Neihu). Visit https://www.facebook.com/segoviaskitchen‎ or http://www.taiwanease.com/en/forums/pos ... tml#p92536 for info.
Forumosan avatar
Dragonbones
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

36 Recommends(s)
92 Recognized(s)

Postby Icon » 15 May 2012, 18:27

Muchas thank you. At the rate this is going, my diet is still on a safe road, no temptations worthy of breaking it. No sour cream easily available. :(

Forumosan avatar
Icon
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

534 Recommends(s)
416 Recognized(s)

Postby cantaloupealone » 17 Oct 2012, 20:34

Costco $145 for like 2 liters. Its really good too! You'll be swimming in it.
cantaloupealone
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

Postby divea » 18 Oct 2012, 00:42

Icon wrote:Muchas thank you. At the rate this is going, my diet is still on a safe road, no temptations worthy of breaking it. No sour cream easily available. :(

Take a cup of cream (you know those boxes of whipping cream) and add a few drops of lemon juice and stir. Let sit for a half hour or a few hours in the fridge. And now you can play havoc with your diet....try it a few times and play around with hw much of lemon juice you want to put in the cream.
"It is the weak who are cruel. Gentleness can only be expected from the strong. "
- Leo Roston
divea
Retired President (tuì xiū de zǒng tǒng)
Retired President (tuì xiū de zǒng tǒng)

321 Recommends(s)
97 Recognized(s)

Postby Icon » 18 Oct 2012, 09:38

cantaloupealone wrote:Costco $145 for like 2 liters. Its really good too! You'll be swimming in it.

...when available... when available...

BTW, I already do not like the taste of the "homemade" sour cream they sell in the ol' country. Tried like 5 different brands and they were all yucky. Spoiled I am with that bland, tasteles, Aussie glorious stuff. :wink: Reminds me of The Blob.

Forumosan avatar
Icon
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

534 Recommends(s)
416 Recognized(s)

Postby 2Enigma » 23 Mar 2013, 09:04

I get mine at the sour cream market.
Ona more serious not, do a search for P and P food and spice. Last I saw, they had the small containers.
I usually get mine at COSCO and although oversized, I divide it up and put a few dribbles of lemon juice in the smaller container and cover tightly with plastic wrap. It will at least double the shelf life if properly refrigerated. While at COSTCO, better buy a 10 pound bag of spudes. Me think you might need them.
Keep ye company with those who seek truth and run from those who have found it.
2Enigma
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)

34 Recommends(s)
13 Recognized(s)

Postby Bu Lai En » 23 Mar 2013, 20:39

Carrefour has small tubs of 'crème fraîche épaisse' which is basically French-style sour cream. You might not want it for your Mexican food or dips, but it works great for soups, baking, etc. The plus is that you can buy small tubs.
I have news. Good news from Notting Hill. The consignment of white gold for Mr Anderson has arrived.

http://theboolion.wordpress.com/ Image
Forumosan avatar
Bu Lai En

13 Recognized(s)

PreviousNext

x

Return to Food & Drink