Fresh Mussels

This is the place for Forumosans to post recipes, cooking tips and culinary-related discussions.

Fresh Mussels

Postby BlackAdder » 22 Jul 2006, 14:58

I'm looking for some fresh mussels; the smaller blue-black ones. Anyone know if you can get them in Taiwan, or are they only a Mediterranean/Atlantic thing? I'm not into those big green shelled monsters from New Zealand.

I miss Moules mariniere!
BlackAdder
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

ORIGINAL POSTER
1 Recognized(s)

Postby Belgian Pie » 22 Jul 2006, 16:05

Yes, you can get them ... on special order, from Holland ... order before Wednesday and you get them the next week, fresh in a bag on sea water, keeps about a week in the fridge. Drawback, they are expensive. Bag size 2 Kg.
Belgian Pie
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

1 Recommends(s)
63 Recognized(s)

Postby BlackAdder » 22 Jul 2006, 22:16

Yes, you can get them ...

:yay:

on special order, from Holland ...

:shocker:

order before Wednesday and you get them the next week, fresh in a bag on sea water, keeps about a week in the fridge. Drawback, they are expensive.

:doh:

Bag size 2 Kg.

:hungry:

Thanks for the info. Any ideas on how much is 'expensive'?:pray:
BlackAdder

ORIGINAL POSTER
1 Recognized(s)

Postby Belgian Pie » 23 Jul 2006, 07:48

Last 'season', meaning last year they were 360 NT$/kg, now the season just started and there is a shortage on mussels from Holland, the 'flesh weight' is still low 15-20% of the mussel weight were it normally should be like 30%. But the guys in Holland are trying to save what they can by importing mussels from Denmark and Ireland, soaking them in the 'Dutch Zeeland' waters for some time and selling them bagged, maybe they won't be cheaper but at least they have the right 'flesh weight'

My estimate now is around 400NT/kg

I did a search for the retail price in carrefour belgium and came up with this

Carrefour start voorlopig niet met verkoop Zeeuwse mosselen
Zeeuwse mosselen zullen worden aangeboden van zodra de kwaliteit kan worden gegarandeerd

It says thet they don't start sales yet as quality is not guaranteed. :(

If they don't sell, than it's probably not a good idea to order them from the supplier in Holland as you can't see the product and don't know the quality ...
Belgian Pie
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

1 Recommends(s)
63 Recognized(s)

Re: Fresh Mussels

Postby Dragonbones » 30 Mar 2012, 14:29

Any updates on fresh mussel and other shellfish sources? PNP has live cockles coming in tomorrow, $500/kg.
Now selling homestyle baked goods (cookies, brownies, baklava, pies, sourdough bread, whole-wheat sourdough bagels and cakes) made with many organic, fair-trade and/or local pesticide-free ingredients. Visit https://www.facebook.com/segoviaskitchen‎ or http://www.taiwanease.com/en/forums/pos ... tml#p92536 for info.
Forumosan avatar
Dragonbones
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

38 Recommends(s)
98 Recognized(s)

Postby Tiger Mountaineer » 30 Mar 2012, 15:21

It might be worth checking Costco occasionally. Though they don't have them right now, I saw them there a month or two ago--I think they were from NZ.
Forumosan avatar
Tiger Mountaineer
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

10 Recommends(s)
12 Recognized(s)

Postby Dragonbones » 30 Mar 2012, 15:46

Thanks! Give a shout if you see some there, please. :)
Now selling homestyle baked goods (cookies, brownies, baklava, pies, sourdough bread, whole-wheat sourdough bagels and cakes) made with many organic, fair-trade and/or local pesticide-free ingredients. Visit https://www.facebook.com/segoviaskitchen‎ or http://www.taiwanease.com/en/forums/pos ... tml#p92536 for info.
Forumosan avatar
Dragonbones
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

38 Recommends(s)
98 Recognized(s)

Postby headhonchoII » 30 Mar 2012, 16:22

In Ireland you can just go to the beach and pick them up yourself, because almost nobody knows how to cook mussels! :roflmao:
I can remember the fourth of July runnin' through the backwood bare.
And I can still hear my old hound dog barkin' chasin' down a hoodoo there
Chasin' down a hoodoo there.
headhonchoII
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

1564 Recommends(s)
569 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Proceed to Food & Drink