Chinese cooking class/school/course (in Mandarin) in Taipei?

This is the place for Forumosans to post recipes, cooking tips and culinary-related discussions.

Chinese cooking class/school/course (in Mandarin) in Taipei?

Postby terence » 24 Sep 2006, 12:21

你們好,

Does anyone know of a few good cooking classes/schools in Taipei?

I'm really not interested in more classes on European cuisine, but would love to spend some time in Chinese cooking classes (包子,海參,etc.), possibly even taught in Chinese so that my food vocabulary improves dramatically. :)

Any thoughts or recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

謝謝
terence
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby gcat » 24 Sep 2006, 14:46

The adult education colleges 社區大學 have lots of classes, and they're pretty cheap. It's worth having a look.

Their website (Chinese) is: http://www.tpcc.tp.edu.tw/
gcat
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

Postby enzo+ » 24 Sep 2006, 16:49

The China Youth Corps and Weichuan Foods are quite well known locally for their cooking classes. You can phone them, or drop by to get some information:

China Youth Corps
www.cyc.org.tw
45, Kuanchien (Guanqian) Rd, that's the street next to the Shin Kong Mitsukoshi Tower across from the railway station

www.weichuan.com.tw
they're on Songjiang Rd just north of Nanjing E Rd, in the building that houses a Barista and a Toyota dealership.
enzo+
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)

Postby Funk500 » 24 Sep 2006, 23:57

Man of Sand, is there any way to make this a sticky? I 've noticed a few folks have asked about this before (myself included a year or so back) but I never got round to starting up. The OP has given me some inspiration... hmmmmm
Forumosan avatar
Funk500
Generalissimo (dàyuánshuài)
Generalissimo (dàyuánshuài)

19 Recommends(s)
9 Recognized(s)

Postby tmwc » 26 Sep 2006, 11:02

Jodie (of Jodie's Kitchen) was offering classes a while back. She's contactable via Bikefarm.
Have I reached 500 posts yet? I'm giving up forumosa when I get to 500. I promise.
tmwc
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)

Postby canucktyuktuk » 26 Sep 2006, 12:23

Theres a restaurant supply place in Banqiao that offers cooking classes, or at least they used to. I'll find out more sooner or later. Don't have the address now.
canucktyuktuk
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)

9 Recognized(s)

Postby scorn not her simplicity » 27 Sep 2006, 07:22

Try this:http://cook.ytower.com.tw/class/class-0.asp
There are times when all the world's asleep, the questions run too deep for such a simple man.
scorn not her simplicity

Thanks!

Postby terence » 28 Sep 2006, 21:29

Wow, thank you so much for these great ideas... Now I just need to get my cooking vocab up to scratch. :)

Thanks!
terence

ORIGINAL POSTER

Re: Cooking class/school in Taipei

Postby richet2 » 12 Mar 2009, 15:42

I had some great Taiwanese cooking classes with Jodie last year. She has a website, http://kitchen.j321.com

She charged about $120 (US) for a private class for one, but they really were amazing and absolutely worth that, in my opinion. She's very enthusiastic about good food and she really wants to share that with everyone. I think she only ever teaches one or two people in each class. So you won't be in a group of 15 backpackers like a cooking school in Thailand! :lol:

Almost every recipe she taught me was not only a revelation, but also delicious. She's a very good teacher, too, by that I mean that I now actually know how to make the things she taught me, and I still do make my favorite ones, like sesame noodles and the weird but wonderful spicy pineapple :notworthy:
richet2

Re: Chinese cooking class/school/course (in Mandarin) in Taipei?

Postby Huaxia » 25 Oct 2009, 10:42

A five hour class for 4000 ntd sounds like a good deal
Huaxia
Càiniǎo
Càiniǎo

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Proceed to Food & Drink