WCIF fresh herbs and spices?

This is the place for Forumosans to post recipes, cooking tips and culinary-related discussions.

Parsley and other fresh herbs in Taipei

Postby Bobarctor » 09 Jun 2012, 16:34

Hey,

I can't quite figure out why it is so difficult to buy frsh herbs in Taipei. Yet I can find Thai Basil in almost every supermarket but where can I get parsley, mint, basil, rosemary...

Someone adviced to grow potted herbs which I do, but the supply is just not enough :)

There should be some ways, specially for parsley: almost every italian style noodle place use it for decoration. (Taiwanese tend to think parsley is not comestible).

Looking forward to replies.
Forumosan avatar
Bobarctor
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

2 Recommends(s)
8 Recognized(s)

Re: WCIF fresh herbs and spices?

Postby Dragonbones » 09 Jun 2012, 18:01

My solution is to grow more pots. :D LOTS of pots. My whole balcony is a forest of herbs and kitchen garden plants. At the plant markets ask for Yi4qin2 (yi4da4li4qin2), flat leaf Italian parsley, vs. Ou1qin2, curly parsley. You can also get basil cheap at the wet markets. Fresh herbs at outrageous prices are available at high-end supermarkets. Also see this thread on growing potted herbs:
http://www.forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopi ... 5#p1407955
Buy several of each kind, and transplant them into bigger pots to give them room to grow and to prevent them from drying out in the summer heat. Water daily (except for rosemary, which is every couple or few days depending on the pot size).
NEW! Better for you! This post is now carb-conscious, low-fat, and gluten-free!
Forumosan avatar
Dragonbones
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

39 Recommends(s)
112 Recognized(s)

Postby Bobarctor » 10 Jun 2012, 18:18

My point was precisely not to plan it because I need just too much :)
Forumosan avatar
Bobarctor

2 Recommends(s)
8 Recognized(s)

Postby Tempo Gain » 10 Jun 2012, 18:33

My italian parsley died again. Can't get it to grow
Forumosan avatar
Tempo Gain
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

325 Recommends(s)
320 Recognized(s)

Postby Bobarctor » 10 Jun 2012, 18:47

Good. So were do we get some ? For sure there is some around, every single shop serving Taiwanese style "western food" put some for decoration...
Forumosan avatar
Bobarctor

2 Recommends(s)
8 Recognized(s)

Postby lostinasia » 10 Jun 2012, 19:51

Bobarctor wrote:Good. So were do we get some ? For sure there is some around, every single shop serving Taiwanese style "western food" put some for decoration...

Hasn't this already been answered? If you want to get small quantities, unreliably available, at exorbitant prices, go to City Super or Breeze Center or Jason's. If you want a larger amount more reliably available (probably cheaper for a single meal; definitely cheaper if used for more than one meal) go to the Jianguo Flower Market on the weekend and buy your own pots.

Definitely do not plan a dinner on the assumption that you'll find the relevant herbs at the Western supermarkets, because who knows what's available on a given day.

Tempo Gain, my Italian parsley is thriving this time, despite the two previous plants having died within a month or two. The secret is … well, I've treated it exactly the same as the two previous plants. Apparently there is no secret. Maybe a bird pooped/didn't poop in the pot this time.
Forumosan avatar
lostinasia
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)

61 Recommends(s)
94 Recognized(s)

Postby Dragonbones » 10 Jun 2012, 20:55

My Italian parsley has done best when I, first, transplanted it into a much bigger and deep pot, and second, moved it to a partially sunny (not full sun all day) location. I give it a little water one day, and a good soak the next, and the soil surface is covered with crushed eggshells.
NEW! Better for you! This post is now carb-conscious, low-fat, and gluten-free!
Forumosan avatar
Dragonbones
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

39 Recommends(s)
112 Recognized(s)

Postby manila » 09 Jun 2014, 09:07

Try the wet markets. Shidong market near Tianmu (Taipei) has a fair amount of dill and basil for reasonable prices. I didn't get a chance to see rosemaries or mint. I have a pot of rosemary since I don't use a lot of it. For mint, it depends on what you need. I think I have apple mint, a few of which give off a strong enough flavor. There are other kinds that are less minty. Then there's the kind they use in Vietnam that is more lemony. I think you'll find one variety, at least, in the wet market. Carrefour has some herbs but the supplies aren't regular. They have curly leaf parsley and cilantro, no flat-leaf parsley. I think they really are pricey, especially for such a small amount. Best bet is to try your local wet market.
manila
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)

1 Recognized(s)
In Taiwan since: 10 Sep 2007

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Previous

Proceed to Food & Drink