Where can I buy good bread in Taipei?

This is the place for Forumosans to post recipes, cooking tips and culinary-related discussions.

Re: Western bread and cheese

Postby Belgian Pie » 12 Nov 2008, 09:38

Supposedly a good day old bread is better for the stomach then just baked, out of the oven one ... would there be any scientific research about that ...?
Belgian Pie
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

2 Recommends(s)
80 Recognized(s)

Postby Loretta » 13 Nov 2008, 15:10

Belgian Pie wrote:Supposedly a good day old bread is better for the stomach then just baked, out of the oven one ... would there be any scientific research about that ...?

I don't know. You're the bloody expert.

It's 3:15, and I'm hungry. Are you going to give me directions to your bloody bread shop or not? I can leave now and spend two and a half hours gorging myself on your patio, or I can go out and find something crap to eat before driving to Sanxia.

Buttercup, you know I don't wear pyjamas. That would only be appropriate for "round the mountain" but I'm coming over it.
Loretta
Retired President (tuì xiū de zǒng tǒng)

56 Recommends(s)
66 Recognized(s)

Postby Buttercup » 13 Nov 2008, 15:20

Loretta wrote:Buttercup, you know I don't wear pyjamas. That would only be appropriate for "round the mountain" but I'm coming over it.

Ew! Guess I asked for that one...
'Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof'

Before you lovingly craft your PM, make like any writer and consider your audience. With all the information at your disposal, is there any possibility that the recipient will open it? Would your time be better employed?
Buttercup
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

8 Recognized(s)

Postby Loretta » 13 Nov 2008, 16:21

Buttercup wrote:
Loretta wrote:Buttercup, you know I don't wear pyjamas. That would only be appropriate for "round the mountain" but I'm coming over it.

Ew! Guess I asked for that one...

The way to a man's heart is to ask for that.
Loretta

56 Recommends(s)
66 Recognized(s)

Postby headhonchoII » 13 Nov 2008, 16:27

I have NEVER smelled fresh baked bread in a bakery in Taiwan. That for me is the clincher.
The smell of fresh baked bread. Even the better places don't have that smell because they are almost all chains. To make fresh baked bread from original ingredients is labour intensive, since nobody here cares anyway why would they bother. Plus it costs more and right now everybody is very cost conscious. I can see my local remnant left over from Wecare collapse will also close soon as its bread selection gets less and less and the size of the loaves decrease while the price decreases.

That two week old bread you have in the US sounds pretty scary Tommy. Taiwan sliced bread lasts about 5 days and that's a fairly long time too. It depends on the humidity. When I lived in Sweden it turned into a rock in 3 days. Here it turns into a mould factory.
BTW, did anybody notice how long the milk keeps here, it must be loaded with antibiotics. It keeps twice as long as my home country but supposedly is using the same pasteurisation.
I can remember the fourth of July runnin' through the backwood bare.
And I can still hear my old hound dog barkin' chasin' down a hoodoo there
Chasin' down a hoodoo there.
headhonchoII
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

1718 Recommends(s)
622 Recognized(s)

Postby tommy525 » 13 Nov 2008, 16:53

I guess modern man has lost a lot of fine living. Like us in the Bay Area? We dont have many bakeries around at all (I don't remember last seeing one). And if we want bread we go to supermarkets to buy them. And its the same brands. The best is Oroweat. And those are all made in huge bread factories and trucked long distances . They all have a long shelf life. No telling how long ago they were made, and they customarily last over two weeks before getting slightly moldy. I guess the market here is not designed for fresh bread. There are virtually no local bakeries and you can only find bread in supermarkets basically. Made in large factories and trucked hundreds of miles even. Long shelf life built in means only one thing.........preservatives!!!

We do have some bakeries around but they only bake and sell cakes and cookies (hugely expensive at 3 dollars a piece of cake) and some breakfast scones and the like. NO sliced bread or other fancy breads.

I remember in Taiwan if we buy sliced bread, they have to be frozen the next day in order to keep, and when I got here and noticed how long sliced bread lasts around here? I was wondering already if they were packed with preservatives.
Forumosan avatar
tommy525
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

607 Recommends(s)
376 Recognized(s)

Postby Buttercup » 13 Nov 2008, 17:14

Taiwanese milk does not go sour. Another reason to not touch the stuff.

The way to a man's heart is to ask for that.

Ask? Hahaha.

Maybe you should offer dating advice L? Start a thread in IP, or something.

Before you lovingly craft your PM, make like any writer and consider your audience. With all the information at your disposal, is there any possibility that the recipient will open it? Would your time be better employed?
Buttercup
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

8 Recognized(s)

Postby headhonchoII » 13 Nov 2008, 17:31

tommy525 wrote:I guess modern man has lost a lot of fine living. Like us in the Bay Area? We dont have many bakeries around at all (I don't remember last seeing one). And if we want bread we go to supermarkets to buy them. And its the same brands. The best is Oroweat. And those are all made in huge bread factories and trucked long distances . They all have a long shelf life. No telling how long ago they were made, and they customarily last over two weeks before getting slightly moldy. I guess the market here is not designed for fresh bread. There are virtually no local bakeries and you can only find bread in supermarkets basically. Made in large factories and trucked hundreds of miles even. Long shelf life built in means only one thing.........preservatives!!!

We do have some bakeries around but they only bake and sell cakes and cookies (hugely expensive at 3 dollars a piece of cake) and some breakfast scones and the like. NO sliced bread or other fancy breads.

I remember in Taiwan if we buy sliced bread, they have to be frozen the next day in order to keep, and when I got here and noticed how long sliced bread lasts around here? I was wondering already if they were packed with preservatives.

That's shockin' Tommy, Taiwan rates higher than the US in your book. Ireland still has quite a few independent and local bakeries. The actual baking on the premises is getting rarer and rarer though. I grew up beside one of the most famous bakeries in Ireland and went to school with the smell of fresh baked bread everyday.
No wonder one American lady I met said you loved the food in Ireland, I couldn't understand what she meant at first because to me it's very basic compared to the European continent.
The other reason in the US is that bread has such a bad name with the popularisation of the Atkin's diet, I mean it's not as bad as cakes and donuts and coke and cereals etc. and it's made from fresh ingredients if the real stuff....don't know why people are so against it.
I can remember the fourth of July runnin' through the backwood bare.
And I can still hear my old hound dog barkin' chasin' down a hoodoo there
Chasin' down a hoodoo there.
headhonchoII
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

1718 Recommends(s)
622 Recognized(s)

Postby engerim » 18 Nov 2008, 18:54

I've been to Wendels today (Taipei German bakery with real Germans making the bread) and learned they have a online store !! Apparently delivery cost is 100 NT.

See http://store.wendels-bakery.com/

Now I don't have to travel expensively to Taipei anymore and freeze a bunch of bread for a month but can consider biweekly deliveries from them :-)

Its really the best bread I've found in Taiwan so far, Orange Market in Hsinchu is still second place after them.
Forumosan avatar
engerim
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)

8 Recommends(s)
16 Recognized(s)

Postby Buttercup » 18 Nov 2008, 18:58

Wendel's is great. Used to pop in there a lot for some German sausage (I know, there's no 'ladylike' way to say that'). Really good bread.

Buttercup
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

8 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Proceed to Food & Drink