Home oven recommendations

This is the place for Forumosans to post recipes, cooking tips and culinary-related discussions.

Re: Home oven recommendations

Postby DiaFun » 05 Dec 2010, 21:26

The completely horrible oven in our house is a really expensive US-made convection model, built into the wall, and it is a piece of shit. It doesn't heat evenly, doesn't maintain temperature with the convection fan on, and the convection fan takes up some of the oven body, making the whole deal smaller. Two smallish racks barely fit in the thing, and it can't roast more than a 25-lb turkey - its interior capacity is 3.2 cu. ft.
We have one identical to this, but it's black. They are trying to sell this one for US$950 (NT$30,000).

My dream oven is more like this one:
LG LWD3081ST Double Electric Oven - Double - Stainless Steel
This thing has got a whopping 9.4 cu. ft. capacity between the two ovens. It's also got a convection mode, but it actually WORKS properly, and obviously, with five full-size racks, the convection parts don't interfere with the cooking space. Of course, it is NT$100,000 which means I'm not rushing right out to buy one...
Argue for your limitations and they're yours. -- Richard Bach, Illusions
Forumosan avatar
DiaFun
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

5 Recommends(s)
2 Recognized(s)

Postby TheLostSwede » 05 Dec 2010, 21:40

Ovens are a luxury item here, hence why they're so expensive. Judging by the cookbook that came with our oven, I don't think the locals have even figured out what an oven is for...
I'm happy with mine, yes, it's a bit smaller inside compared to what I'm used to, but it's way better than the regular stuff you get here, although it should be considering that it's a built in 220V convection oven.
You can get Bosch here and it seems like the prices are starting to come down even of those http://www.home-life.tw/showroom/mallse ... 9C%8BBOSCH
Still a fair bit more than my slightly more basic Baumatic, but that's all I could afford and it does the job.
Forumosan avatar
TheLostSwede
Generalissimo (dàyuánshuài)

15 Recommends(s)
13 Recognized(s)

Postby Dragonbones » 05 Dec 2010, 21:59

Cast iron trays and a fully preheated Dr. Goods made a dandy, crispy pair of thick crust pizzas in our house tonight. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Now selling homestyle baked goods (cookies, brownies, baklava, pies, sourdough bread, whole-wheat sourdough bagels and cakes) made with many organic, fair-trade and/or local pesticide-free ingredients. Visit https://www.facebook.com/segoviaskitchen‎ or http://www.taiwanease.com/en/forums/pos ... tml#p92536 for info.
Forumosan avatar
Dragonbones
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

38 Recommends(s)
98 Recognized(s)

Postby teggs » 06 Dec 2010, 10:55

Dragonbones wrote:Cast iron trays and a fully preheated Dr. Goods made a dandy, crispy pair of thick crust pizzas in our house tonight. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Mr. Bones... where did you get your trays from?

Thanks!
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.
Plato (427 BC - 347 BC)
teggs
Chinese Class Dropout (Zhōngwén kè zhōngchuòshēng)

3 Recognized(s)

Postby Dragonbones » 06 Dec 2010, 11:28

Now selling homestyle baked goods (cookies, brownies, baklava, pies, sourdough bread, whole-wheat sourdough bagels and cakes) made with many organic, fair-trade and/or local pesticide-free ingredients. Visit https://www.facebook.com/segoviaskitchen‎ or http://www.taiwanease.com/en/forums/pos ... tml#p92536 for info.
Forumosan avatar
Dragonbones
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

38 Recommends(s)
98 Recognized(s)

Postby lillasn1gel » 06 Dec 2010, 13:33

TheLostSwede wrote:Ovens are a luxury item here, hence why they're so expensive. Judging by the cookbook that came with our oven, I don't think the locals have even figured out what an oven is for...
I'm happy with mine, yes, it's a bit smaller inside compared to what I'm used to, but it's way better than the regular stuff you get here, although it should be considering that it's a built in 220V convection oven.
You can get Bosch here and it seems like the prices are starting to come down even of those http://www.home-life.tw/showroom/mallse ... 9C%8BBOSCH
Still a fair bit more than my slightly more basic Baumatic, but that's all I could afford and it does the job.

Where is this Kang-Chu Home Life based? They seem to have cool stuff @ reasonable prices. Just wish I could understand the site!
lillasn1gel
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

1 Recommends(s)

Postby Enigma » 07 Dec 2010, 01:36

It's not because locals have not discovered baking. It is because they don't have the time or desire to spend extra time using an oven. The night market is around the corner. It is easier, takes less time and is basically cheaper in the long run. It's cultural and you just get used to it. I have been here 10 years and although I have a Kaiser oven from Costco, I don't use it often because I just don't have the time. I would just as soon stop by Costco and get a roasted chicken or go to the night market and get what I want. No muss - no fuss.
On occasion though, an oven is handy like when you want to do pizza, without corn, or a BBQ duck. mmmmm.
Enigma
Time to Marry a Local (gāi qǔ tái wān lǎo pó jià tái wān lǎo gōng liǎo)
Time to Marry a Local (gāi qǔ tái wān lǎo pó jià tái wān lǎo gōng liǎo)

ORIGINAL POSTER
15 Recommends(s)
10 Recognized(s)

Postby TheLostSwede » 07 Dec 2010, 02:06

Wow... I use mine several times a week, for bread, cakes and meals. I find it much easier to prepare a lot of food in the oven than on the hob and a lot of it tastes a lot better and requires a lot less grease to prepare.
I take myself time to cook, partially cause I enjoy, but also because I can make something that you can't buy in Costco, the supermarket or at a night market...
Forumosan avatar
TheLostSwede

15 Recommends(s)
13 Recognized(s)

Postby teggs » 07 Dec 2010, 08:40

Thanks for that!
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.
Plato (427 BC - 347 BC)
teggs

3 Recognized(s)

Postby Icon » 07 Dec 2010, 09:56

lillasn1gel wrote:
TheLostSwede wrote:Ovens are a luxury item here, hence why they're so expensive. Judging by the cookbook that came with our oven, I don't think the locals have even figured out what an oven is for...

Where is this Kang-Chu Home Life based? They seem to have cool stuff @ reasonable prices. Just wish I could understand the site!

Banqiao. Map here: http://www.home-life.tw/webnews/view.php?SN=67
"Lo urgente no deja tiempo para lo importante". Mafalda

"Nice guy? Who gives a shit? If you want to work here, close."
Forumosan avatar
Icon
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

619 Recommends(s)
488 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Proceed to Food & Drink