Home oven recommendations

This is the place for Forumosans to post recipes, cooking tips and culinary-related discussions.

Re: Home oven recommendations

Postby Dragonbones » 05 Jul 2009, 13:08

redwagon wrote:^^^ That's awesome DB. There are some houses being renovated in my neighborhood so once it gets dark I will go out and acquire a large tile. :wink:
I am guessing that the tile wants to be a little smaller than the trays, in order to let air circulate around the bottom heating elements. I have the Kaiser convection oven.

Yeah, I intentionally left a little space all around. BTW, get 2-3 tiles if you can. Putting in several acts as a heat sink (and you have a spare in case you break one). Although it takes a bit more time to heat up, the oven retains more heat when you open the door. Heat dropping when you open the door is a problem for small ovens.

Unfortunately my bottom stone cracked (all by itself) last night (I baked 8 boules). But it's not a big deal; the pieces fit together seamlessly and the top stone is uncracked (so far). I didn't get a great bottom crust with the current setup, though, so now I'm trying just one stone, set lower.
Now selling homestyle baked goods (cookies, brownies, baklava, pies, sourdough bread, whole-wheat sourdough bagels and cakes) made with many organic, fair-trade and/or local pesticide-free ingredients. Visit https://www.facebook.com/segoviaskitchen‎ or http://www.taiwanease.com/en/forums/pos ... tml#p92536 for info.
Forumosan avatar
Dragonbones
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

38 Recommends(s)
98 Recognized(s)

Postby Mother Theresa » 09 Jul 2009, 12:57

itakitez wrote:and the other "built in" type ovens

I plan to work on my kitchen soon and would like a real oven, electric based with hobs would be best so I can get rid of the ugly rusting gas bottle

Ive only seen them ini BnQ (80,000) and the expensive mall near civic blvd (65,000++) - forget the name - but if I could find a real oven for around 20,000 that would be great - or is this totally unrealistic

I will rip out my current kitchen and want to dedicate 8ping to kitchen/prep area so the oven would be built in next to units

the Minquan bakery shop also sells this type?

So, did you buy a built-in oven? What did you get? How much was it? How do you like it?

We're about to remodel our kitchen and install a built-in oven. I've noticed 60cm x 60cm is apparently a standard size. Smaller than a US oven, but it looks just fine. Ikea has one or two brands, including Bosch which is of course very expensive, but I expect you basically get what you pay for.

Anyone else have comments on built-in ovens? I expect we'll have to pay about NT30k. I'll send this link, that someone posted above, to my wife and maybe we'll check that out along with Pantry Magic, in Tianmu.
http://www.home-life.tw/showroom/mallse ... OB=3886&Nm
"The internet is a monster over which we have no control. We can’t even turn it off." Jeremy Clarkson
Forumosan avatar
Mother Theresa
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

14 Recommends(s)
44 Recognized(s)

Postby redwagon » 09 Jul 2009, 13:24

Don't buy anything made by SMEG. I had an apartment in Shanghai with a full SMEG kitchen... washing machine, dishwasher, cooker-oven, microwave, refrigerator etc. Every single one of those appliances broke down at least once in the three months I lived there. It was so bad that for a while I was convinced they were all fakes, but no. :noway:
Signature censored.
redwagon
Thinking of Staging a Coup (xiǎng yào gǎo zhèng biàn)
Thinking of Staging a Coup (xiǎng yào gǎo zhèng biàn)

1 Recommends(s)
9 Recognized(s)

Postby TheLostSwede » 09 Jul 2009, 15:19

Well, it all depends on what kind of oven you want. A basic built in European style oven is between 18-25k or there abouts, but when you start adding things like fan assist and what not, then the prices go up.
If you can afford it, I'd go with a fan assisted oven, as they're way better in distributing the heat around the oven. It would also allow you to bake to trays of things at once, as long as what you're baking is bun size, or cook to oven dishes at once.
Also, 60x60 is standard European size for all kitchen appliances and yes, this might be smaller than the US, but it's still very usable.
The link you re-posted was something I found online and they seem to have ok prices. Rinnai seems to be among the more affordable and it's a Japanese brand so the quality should be ok.
Baumatic is also meant do be a quality brand, but they also sell a lot of brands I'm not familiar with.
It might also be worth having a look here or if you want a free standing cooker, here
Forumosan avatar
TheLostSwede
Generalissimo (dàyuánshuài)

15 Recommends(s)
13 Recognized(s)

Postby Mother Theresa » 09 Jul 2009, 15:25

Thanks for the comments, guys. 18-25k sounds fine after looking at the Bosch. :) I expect we'll find something this weekend (not a SMEGMA).
"The internet is a monster over which we have no control. We can’t even turn it off." Jeremy Clarkson
Forumosan avatar
Mother Theresa
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

14 Recommends(s)
44 Recognized(s)

Postby Dragonbones » 09 Jul 2009, 15:28

Mother Theresa wrote:Thanks for the comments, guys. 18-25k sounds fine after looking at the Bosch. :) I expect we'll find something this weekend (not a SMEGMA).

:doh: I knew it was only a matter of time.
Forumosan avatar
Dragonbones
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

38 Recommends(s)
98 Recognized(s)

Postby Icon » 09 Jul 2009, 15:34

Check the Miele, in customized colors, like pink.
"Lo urgente no deja tiempo para lo importante". Mafalda

"Nice guy? Who gives a shit? If you want to work here, close."
Forumosan avatar
Icon
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

633 Recommends(s)
502 Recognized(s)

Postby TheLostSwede » 09 Jul 2009, 16:24

Despite the warnings of not buying Smeg, in terms of features, this one is really good value for money http://store.pchome.com.tw/mik/M00292674.htm as it's fan assisted and even has a defrost function. I think it's an older model though.
This model from Baumatic http://store.pchome.com.tw/edison/M02027694.htm looks like a newer model and it has the same features from what I can tell.
Or you could go with an English brand http://store.pchome.com.tw/qcd252/M02416746.htm again, similar features
Then there's this http://store.pchome.com.tw/edison/M03474601.htm which actually looks quite decent, again with similar features.
Another one http://store.pchome.com.tw/safehouse/M03980898.htm
Well, they're all about 20k or less...
Also try to find out which energy class they are, as there's a big difference between an oven rated A and C in terms of how much power they use.
Forumosan avatar
TheLostSwede

15 Recommends(s)
13 Recognized(s)

Postby sandman » 09 Jul 2009, 16:34

Smeg's fantastic! All four of my sisters have had Smeg kitchens for several years and all RAVE about their general fantabulousness.
sandman
Manjusri (Wénshū)

28 Recommends(s)
199 Recognized(s)

Postby lostinasia » 09 Jul 2009, 20:36

We're about to remodel our kitchen and install a built-in oven. I've noticed 60cm x 60cm is apparently a standard size. Smaller than a US oven, but it looks just fine. Ikea has one or two brands, including Bosch which is of course very expensive, but I expect you basically get what you pay for.

Re: Ikea ovens: do they have ones that actually fit into their shelving units? About a year back we bought a 56cm (internally) wide very tall shelf - right now it's holding a microwave and a toaster oven, and it'd be really nice if Ikea actually sold proper ovens designed to fit into it. (I have absolutely no idea how the venting would work.)

The 56cm is too narrow for the Dr. Good and Kaiser ovens that people have been talking about. Looking through those links above... man, it's too narrow for everything!

I was kind of OK with making muffins in my toaster oven until I foolishly bought an oven thermometer and realized the darn thing can't hold a temperature higher than 170C/ 350F, and that's with both elements and fan. This probably explains why the muffins, while tasty, are often a touch... dense. For muffins, whatever, but I'd been starting to roast and bake meat dishes as well, and I just can't get the toaster oven hot enough.
Forumosan avatar
lostinasia
Martyr's Shrine Guard (zhōngliècí wèibīng)
Martyr's Shrine Guard (zhōngliècí wèibīng)

43 Recommends(s)
75 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Proceed to Food & Drink