The Chou doufu Poll

This is the place for Forumosans to post recipes, cooking tips and culinary-related discussions.

What do you think of Chou doufu/Stinky Tofu?

Never tried it, so I wouldn't know
7%
Never tried, never will. It's foul!
13%
I've tried it and once was enough
22%
Tried it, OK, but nothing special
18%
Love it - the stinkier the better
40%

Total votes : 55

The Chou doufu Poll

Postby Sir Donald Bradman » 10 Feb 2003, 17:37

I used to think that about half the foreigners here have never tried stinky tofu and the other half love it. Then my brother tried it and didn't like it so I guess it's possible.

Main variety is the fried stuff. BBQ is even tastier. I've never tried the steamed soupy one, because it's never veggie. If you have different opinions on different varieties, how about just voting for the deep-fried.

Brian
Sir Don has retired. Any PMs or questions about any of my posts, should be directed to Bu Lai En.
Sir Donald Bradman
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)

ORIGINAL POSTER
1 Recognized(s)

Postby maoman » 10 Feb 2003, 17:49

I think it's great stuff. However, it isn't all the same. Differences in quality and cooking methods vary widely. I recommend a local person who loves the stuff to suss out a good place. 8-)
Forumosan avatar
maoman

76 Recommends(s)
44 Recognized(s)

Postby Sir Donald Bradman » 10 Feb 2003, 17:58

Agree with you Maoman. Had some disgusting stuff yesterday in Taidong. The 'suan cai' was just 'cai'. What's the name of the famous town out past Muzha where they're sposd to have the best choudofu in Taiwan (the world?). Shen Keng? I've had good stuff there. Actually there's a lot of good stuff around. My favorite ever was some very ripe BBQ'd stuff in Jiufen (very last one as you walk through the market).

Brian
Sir Don has retired. Any PMs or questions about any of my posts, should be directed to Bu Lai En.
Sir Donald Bradman

ORIGINAL POSTER
1 Recognized(s)

Postby ImaniOU » 10 Feb 2003, 22:07

The first time I smelled chou doufu, I checked the bottoms of my shoes because the way the stench lingered, I thought I had stepped in something.
Then at my school's last weiya, they served chou doufu with the smell subdued. I suspected what it was so I took a very tiny snippet of it, put it in my mouth with the taste filling my mouth and realized that the smell is misleading as it didn't taste like dog shit...

It tasted dog shit and fermented vomit. :?

How can you people eat that? :shock: It wasn't in my mouth for a second before it hijacked my tastebuds. Why would someone choose to eat something that smells like that?

A true chou doufu fan must be the guy whose mouth waters whenever he just hears someone fart.
"We're talking about Taiwanese media whose attention spans make your average goldfish look like the Amazing Kreskin."
- ImaniOU
Forumosan avatar
ImaniOU
Almost a God (jīhū shì shén)
Almost a God (jīhū shì shén)

Location: On Ihla Forumosa.com, waiting for the babelfish to kick in
2 Recommends(s)
7 Recognized(s)

Postby sandman » 10 Feb 2003, 22:19

It tasted (like) dog shit and fermented vomit.

You sure have tasted the strangest things! :shock:
sandman
Manjusri (Wénshū)

28 Recommends(s)
199 Recognized(s)

A person should never reveal his/her weaknesses...

Postby ali » 10 Feb 2003, 22:44

Now we know how to torture ImaniOU. Writing this made me think of the chick in 007. By the way, do you look anything close to her?
ali

Postby Flipper » 11 Feb 2003, 03:27

sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but the bbq chou doufu is not veggie. I'm pretty sure they put shacha(
Flipper
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)

Postby jeff » 11 Feb 2003, 03:54

Sorry, I cant respond to this poll as you've omitted the "Tried it and it's foul, foul, foul" option.
Forumosan avatar
jeff
Fried Chicken-Parts Vendor (yán sū jī xiǎofàn)
Fried Chicken-Parts Vendor (yán sū jī xiǎofàn)

Postby Sharky » 11 Feb 2003, 09:59

The BBQ stuff is OK, but the steamed stuff, FORGET IT.... I don't want to try tasting Dog Shit, but if ImaniOU is correct, that is what it tastes like! Double YUK!
"How did I get here?" Talking Heads

'KickBoxing, sport of the future" Lloyd Dobbler in Say Anything
Sharky
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)

Postby Sir Donald Bradman » 11 Feb 2003, 22:23

sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but the bbq chou doufu is not veggie. I'm pretty sure they put shacha(
Sir Donald Bradman

ORIGINAL POSTER
1 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Proceed to Food & Drink