Chou Doufu (Stinky Doufu)

This is the place for Forumosans to post recipes, cooking tips and culinary-related discussions.

Chou Doufu (Stinky Doufu)

Postby Mo Joe » 19 Apr 2002, 16:01

Would you eat dog shit if someone told you it tasted okay?
Mo Joe

ORIGINAL POSTER

Chou Do-Fu (stinky Tofu)

Postby Geng » 19 Apr 2002, 16:08

Guess you didn't like it, Joe. :raspberry:

Actually the doufu itself dosen't have much flavor, it's the kimchee and sauces that flavor it...
Geng

ORIGINAL POSTER

Chou Do-Fu (stinky Tofu)

Postby Alien » 19 Apr 2002, 16:09

Had a friend from UK whose mouth watered every time she smelt it. Guess it's an acquired taste, and smell!
I really don't mind the stuff. It's palatable, IMHO.
I like the tofu ru more though. Ya know, the stuff in a jar that tastes just like blue cheese. YUM! Rice porridge, tofuru, and egg...what a breakie combo.
Alien
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)

1 Recognized(s)

Chou Do-Fu (stinky Tofu)

Postby Geng » 20 Apr 2002, 03:48

Sure, you've smelt it on the streets...but have you actually tried it? It's not too bad. It dosen't really stink once you get away from the d00d frying it. Mixed with kimchee (pao cai) it's not bad--a bit spicey...just plug your nose when you order.

I don't know how they guy frying it can stand there all evening breathing the oder...
Geng

ORIGINAL POSTER

Chou Do-Fu (stinky Tofu)

Postby ritzinger » 20 Apr 2002, 09:19

The deep fried stuff is fairly good. After all, you can deep fry anything and it all tastes the same. The ma-la variety is another story. That stuff tastes just as wretched as it smells.
ritzinger

ORIGINAL POSTER

Chou Do-Fu (stinky Tofu)

Postby ironlady » 20 Apr 2002, 10:56

Alien,
Think there's any hope of using toufuru to replace bleu cheese in recipes or on salads?

Terry
Forumosan avatar
ironlady
Goddess of Fornication & Prostitutes (tōngjiān hé jìnǚ de nǚshén)

Location: A place where people can't sleep or teach English in McDonald's
87 Recommends(s)
320 Recognized(s)
In Taiwan since: 0- 0-1987

Chou Do-Fu (stinky Tofu)

Postby Alien » 20 Apr 2002, 12:17

Dunno Terry. You could try it sometime and let us know! [img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
On second thought...tofu in a salad?
Alien

1 Recognized(s)

Chou Do-Fu (stinky Tofu)

Postby *monkey* » 20 Apr 2002, 19:06

I can bear the smell of it walking past a chou tofu joint only if I don't have a hangover. If I do have one, makes feel like throwing up. Damned places should have biohazard warnings within 100 meters of them.
How can something akin to the smell of rotting corpses make your mouth water?
Forumosan avatar
*monkey*
Wild Chicken Bus Driver (yě jī chē sī jī)
Wild Chicken Bus Driver (yě jī chē sī jī)

4 Recommends(s)
62 Recognized(s)

Chou Do-Fu (stinky Tofu)

Postby Bu Lai En » 21 Apr 2002, 05:39

Deep fried Chou doufu is great. BBQd can be even better. I really don't understand people who never try it.

bri
Forumosan avatar
Bu Lai En
Thinking of Staging a Coup (xiǎng yào gǎo zhèng biàn)
Thinking of Staging a Coup (xiǎng yào gǎo zhèng biàn)

15 Recognized(s)

Chou Do-Fu (stinky Tofu)

Postby ImaniOU » 23 Apr 2002, 12:45

The first couple of times that I walked past a chou doufu stand I checked the bottom of my shoes thinking that I had stepped in a random stray dog pile o' poo. Anything that smells like dog sh!t doesn't interest me since at least 70% of the taste is the smell. That's why food sucks when you have a cold.
Forumosan avatar
ImaniOU
Almost a God (jīhū shì shén)
Almost a God (jīhū shì shén)

Location: On Ihla Forumosa.com, waiting for the babelfish to kick in
2 Recommends(s)
7 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Proceed to Food & Drink