Sanctuary being torn down. We need your help!!! - click here for details
You can also visit TheSanctuaryTaiwan.org - click here to go to their contact page

Chou Doufu (Stinky Doufu)

This is the place for Forumosans to post recipes, cooking tips and culinary-related discussions.

Re: Chou Doufu (Stinky Doufu)

Postby Charlie Phillips » 28 Oct 2010, 23:39

Hunger is the best sauce.
"Why do you want gas? It's hot. You can have cold showers" ~gas delivery man height of summer, 2010.

"Why you wear so many clothes? You are foreigner. Foreign countries are cold." buxiban owner, depth of winter 2011.
Forumosan avatar
Charlie Phillips
Immune to Breathalizers (jiǔ cèce bù chūlái)
Immune to Breathalizers (jiǔ cèce bù chūlái)

81 Recommends(s)
161 Recognized(s)

Postby Bookmark » 09 Mar 2012, 19:07

Lots of new places to try in this thread! Often the doufu isn't as stinky as I wish, but I found one stand that really goes overboard. 臭豆腐世家 in Zuoying, Kaohsiung has a 48 hour fermented variety that leaves the breath reeking. I'm still going back though :)
Bookmark
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

Postby kfmfe04 » 28 Apr 2012, 21:24

Bookmark wrote:Lots of new places to try in this thread! Often the doufu isn't as stinky as I wish, but I found one stand that really goes overboard. 臭豆腐世家 in Zuoying, Kaohsiung has a 48 hour fermented variety that leaves the breath reeking. I'm still going back though :)

Hahaha - I feel exactly like you do. Once I got into chou doufu, it wasn't stinky enough. So I switched to the ma-la version which is a bit stinkier. Thanks for the tip, Bookmark - will have to check out that shop the next time I'm in Kaohsiung!

So far, I like the vendor at the entrance of the Raohe St. Night Market the best.

BTW, what used to drive me sick was that herb/drug 薬 induced chicken in boiled broth that you can find in some night markets (it's supposed to be really nutritious for you). Just the smell makes my lips buzz a bit. I used to hate the odor, but after 3 months year, I actually like the smell now - I may want to try it for real, one of these days.
kfmfe04
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)

Postby kaikai34 » 29 Apr 2012, 01:40

I love it. I took my Korean buddy to a stand once and he said it smelled like his girlfriend's poonanny.
I sat there thinking whether that was a good thing or not.
I still don't know.
Forumosan avatar
kaikai34
Chinese Class Dropout (Zhōngwén kè zhōngchuòshēng)
Chinese Class Dropout (Zhōngwén kè zhōngchuòshēng)

21 Recommends(s)
33 Recognized(s)

Postby tommy525 » 29 Apr 2012, 06:20

uhm I would say its an acquired taste (you acquire it, then taste it). I mean the chodofu of course.
Forumosan avatar
tommy525
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

586 Recommends(s)
369 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Previous

Proceed to Food & Drink