Click here to go to our new forums at http://tw.forumosa.com
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

Overseas chinese ROC passport!!! Can Singaporeans apply ?

Who can and cannot be a dual national, as well as the joys and frustrations accompanying that status. Includes ROC Passport and Military Conscription issues
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Re: Overseas Chinese ROC passport!!! Can Singaporeans apply ?

Postby Satellite TV » 03 Dec 2009, 04:45

IceEagle wrote:
Renzaihelan wrote:With a Singapore passport, you can travel to the PRC for 15 days without Visa, probably the only country which has such privileges.

Japan has the same visa-less 15 day travel, and South Korea is working on a 30 day visa-free agreement.

Just looking in my Taiwan passport, I get 90 day visa free entry in Japan and 30 days for Korea. More than enough really.

Traveling to China as a Taiwan Compatriot is much better than any other national apart from PRC Citizens.
It's such a pleasure living in a world where everyone is in such a hurry to be outraged over someone else’s trivial comments
Satellite TV
Entering Second Childhood (èrdù tóngnián qī)

Postby ponders » 03 Dec 2009, 09:17

K, from what you wrote and referring to the Article 11 on Enforcement Regulations of Law of Nationality (based on the 2004 renewed law), Taiwan seems to have closed the "loophole"

Before 2004 (the same law was renewed in 2000 before 2004), it never specifically mention this clause (where OC Identity based on Chinese descent is ineligible)

So as to say, a Chinese Singaporean can apply and obtain the Overseas Chinese Identity, but he/she have not much use to it.

I guess based on the current security climate, ROC would see the practical side of it and stops issuing passport to "any Chinese".

My dad used to tell me back in the 70s Chinese Indonesians with Hongkong roots used the law to obtain this Taiwanese Passport so that they need not use Indonesian Passport (of not much use) to travel.

IceEagle wrote:
ponders wrote:You have started in the wrong place. From my "research". YOu need to first get a Overseas Chinese Registration that is issued by a Overseas Chinese Compatriots Commission of Taiwan. To be issued one, you have to fulfil the requirements stated herein, for a typical Chinese singaporean, you should be able to get this cert.

That Overseas Chinese registration can then be used in lieu of the National ID as a requirement of a Taiwanese passport.

But as for apply at the TRO in Singapore. I don't know if they will service you. Need to try.

I believe you should be familiar with BOCA website now, instead of looking at Passport Laws, you should look at Enforcement of Passport Laws, it does say that you can use a Overseas Chinese registration in lieu of a National ID.

Overseas Chinese registration, you have to go Overseas Chinese Compatriots Commission Website.

Which certificate are you talking about?

If you mean Overseas Compatriot Identity Certificate, then probably not:

http://www.ocac.gov.tw/english/faq/faq_pop.asp?no=12

OVERSEAS Chinese AFFAIRS COMMISSION, R.O.C. wrote:Therefore, an Overseas Compatriot Identity Certificate obtained from an application with proof of Chinese ethnic origin cannot be used as a proof of ROC nationality.

As far as I know, the only Certificate that a Singaporean person of Chinese ethnicity would be eligible for is the Overseas Compatriot Identity Certificate. Every other certificate seems to require a ROC ID or a ROC passport, or a copy of household registration papers.

ponders wrote:please do update me. I am interested but I am unable to fulfil the "8 months in the previous 2 years" requirements as I am currenlty posted overseas.

Isn't that the requirement for a ROC national ID card? To get this you first have to already have the ROC passport, and enter Taiwan on this.
ponders
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

Postby blueeee11 » 08 Dec 2009, 16:52

Satellite TV wrote:
Renzaihelan wrote:A Singapore passport gives you way more benefits than the ROC passport though.

Like what.... the right to take a drug test after you travel abroad and took a tote then spend 2 years in Jail when you get back to Singapore.

So in what way does a Singapore passport give me more benefits than I Taiwan one.

It's pretty useless for being in Taiwan is a Singaporean passport. You can't work in China on one and you porbably only get a 30 day period of stays for China whereas I get a 1 year period visa, with working rights for China.

lol
blueeee11
Breakfast Store Laoban (zǎocān diàn lǎobǎn)

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Postby blueeee11 » 08 Dec 2009, 17:00

ponders wrote:
blueeee11 wrote:Hey all,

I am Singaporean Chinese with zero ties to Taiwan. My grandparents were born in the mainland and parents born in Singapore.

I am very interested in this overseas Chinese taiwan passport. It would be cool to have another passport in hand. I've also heard it makes it easier to work/live in Taiwan though I am not sure how. I really want that passport. I visited Taiwan last year and really liked the place a lot. The people are refreshingly friendly.

I've been reading a lot about this overseas Chinese taiwan passport. I've heard that all enthic Chinese overseas are eligible to receive a taiwan passport without the hukou.

I have emailed the Taiwan authorities and also contacted the Taiwan embassy here but received no clear answer to it. I was jerked around both times like they didn't want to entertain me.

Has anyone actually gotten their overseas Chinese taiwan passsport? If so, could you please tell me what are the documents needed and what is the process like?

Before I continue I have briefly read what others have responded and mentioned that you are not allowed to either hold 2 passport and/or 2 citizenship.

Not withstanding what Singapore's rules mention, Taiwanese's Nationality DOES NOT equate to Citizenship and having taiwanese nationality doesn't affect your current citizenship. But if Singapore wants to interpret otherwise, we have to look into Singapore's side of laws.

However, it is "in theory" (i haven't tried it myself) possible to apply for a Taiwanese Passport. This DOES NOT give you right of abode and employment within Taiwan.

You have started in the wrong place. From my "research". YOu need to first get a Overseas Chinese Registration that is issued by a Overseas Chinese Compatriots Commission of Taiwan. To be issued one, you have to fulfil the requirements stated herein, for a typical Chinese singaporean, you should be able to get this cert.

That Overseas Chinese registration can then be used in lieu of the National ID as a requirement of a Taiwanese passport.

But as for apply at the TRO in Singapore. I don't know if they will service you. Need to try.

I believe you should be familiar with BOCA website now, instead of looking at Passport Laws, you should look at Enforcement of Passport Laws, it does say that you can use a Overseas Chinese registration in lieu of a National ID.

Overseas Chinese registration, you have to go Overseas Chinese Compatriots Commission Website.

please do update me. I am interested but I am unable to fulfil the "8 months in the previous 2 years" requirements as I am currenlty posted overseas.

Generally I found taiwanese girls to quite hot. I had a very good time in Taiwan. People were friendly and they refered to each other as "students". There was a very friendly, easy going atmosphere in the air.

This overseas compatriot thing sounds interesting. I doubt it will lead to any passport or citizenship but in the worst case scenario, it is still a momento that I can put on my desk. :)

I have made my first call to the ocac office in london. the lady told me that I was the first person to ask about this and she said I need to be a taiwan national. but i pointed out section 5, subsection 5 of the certification act which seems to say proof of chinese enthicity would suffice. she told me she was really not certain on this and gave me the email for the headquaters...i will email them and see what they say then
blueeee11

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Postby blueeee11 » 08 Dec 2009, 17:45

http://www.ocac.gov.tw/english/faq/faq_pop.asp?no=11

10. What documents are required for proof of ROC nationality in respect of an application for Overseas Compatriot Identity Certificate?

(7). Overseas Compatriot Identity Certificate; which does not include those issued to applicants who have obtained such a Certificate by providing papers proving their Chinese ancestry in their applications

what does this mean?

damn . maybe i should just write a letter to president ma as follows:

dear pres,

i love taiwan and its countless hot chicks. i love the people and the weather. I am as chinese as you can be, i speak "tai yu" "cantonese" and Mandarin. and i speak english too. in line with taiwanese culture, I have university degrees. I don't have a phd like many taiwanese yet but I plan to do 3 of them before I die. I really want to work, live and date hot taiwanese chicks. your SJD dessertation was very well written and there were no errors in them at all unlike what others have claimed. you are dashing, smart, tall, handsome, fantabulous, and wonderful. I don't have a lot of money but I have like 300 bucks with me which i can invest in Taiwan's economy - the "bin lang tan". I don't mind earthquakes (i will be sleeping on the streets anyway) and I like jacky wu's show a lot. I also have posters of female taiwanese actresses on my wall.

psst..could you like issue me my naturalisation certificate please.

thank you.
blueeee11

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Postby Renzaihelan » 08 Dec 2009, 19:03

LOL! :lol:

I see they have closed this "loop hole" in 2004. What a shame...So it worked before 2004.
Renzaihelan

Postby blueeee11 » 28 Dec 2009, 15:54

Just called the OCAC office...to make a long story short, if you are of chinese enthicity you can still get a certificate from them to say you are chinese but it has no practical use these days.

pre 2003, you still could use this certificate to apply for residence and work in taiwan but now you can't do that anymore. you will go through immigration just like any other person

f*** it
blueeee11

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Postby bismarck » 29 Dec 2009, 03:49

blueeee11 wrote:Just called the OCAC office...to make a long story short, if you are of Chinese enthicity you can still get a certificate from them to say you are Chinese but it has no practical use these days.

pre 2003, you still could use this certificate to apply for residence and work in taiwan but now you can't do that anymore. you will go through immigration just like any other person

f*** it

:roflmao: Wow! A certificate authenticating you as Chinese! :eek: :eek:
Only in Taiwan.

What percentage Chinese must you be to qualify? Can you still get one if your great grandfather was Chinese?
World Champions 1995, 2007; Tri-Nations champions 1998, 2004, 2009; Grand Slam Champions 1912/13, 1931/32, 1951/52, 1960/61; Defeated British & Irish Lions 1903, 1924, 1938, 1962, 1968, 1980, 2009
Super 14 Champions 2007, 2009, 2010
Don't talk to me about naval tradition. It's nothing but rum, sodomy and the lash.
Sir Winston Churchill

Second of all, as in all honeymoons, all is well until it is not. It is until the unexpected happens that you will see all grievances surface -ask anyone in any relationship. The girl can chew with her mouth open, that if you love her, you do not care. If you do not lover her, if her pinkie toe is half an inch deviant, the relationship is doomed. - Icon
bismarck
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

Postby IceEagle » 29 Dec 2009, 09:35

bismarck wrote:
blueeee11 wrote:Just called the OCAC office...to make a long story short, if you are of Chinese enthicity you can still get a certificate from them to say you are Chinese but it has no practical use these days.

f*** it

Only in Taiwan.

Hong Kong (and possibly Macau) still has the law on its books saying that a child of Chinese ethnicity born on the territory gets citizenship (凡具有中國血統的香港居民). Apparently this applies even if both parents are monocitizens with foreign citizenship...

bismarck wrote:What percentage Chinese must you be to qualify? Can you still get one if your great grandfather was Chinese?

The rule states you need a naturalization certificate or passport (well, just a "document of proof of foreign identity") that states your previous nationality or ethnicity as Chinese. http://www.ocac.gov.tw/english/faq/faq_pop.asp?no=9

So, depending on a given foreign country's rules, it may be possible to get this even if you have only one great-grandparent who was from Taiwan or China.
IceEagle
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)

Postby Satellite TV » 29 Dec 2009, 14:22

bismarck wrote:

f*** it

Only in Taiwan.

What percentage Chinese must you be to qualify? Can you still get one if your great grandfather was Chinese?

MAybe I will apply and find out hehehehehe
It's such a pleasure living in a world where everyone is in such a hurry to be outraged over someone else’s trivial comments
Satellite TV

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Return to Dual Nationality