Click here to go to our new forums at http://tw.forumosa.com
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

Car badge modification ~ The newest ridiculous fad to hit Taiwan?

Moderator: Tempo Gain

Forum rules
We hope that the Living in Taiwan forum will be of value to you and others. To ensure this, please note:

It is best to capitalize topics and to avoid vague titles. “Hi, I’m new” and “Help please” are examples of bad titles.

Before posting, please check the FAQ thread, and – more importantly – use the search function to ensure that your topic has not been discussed before and that there is not an existing thread you could update with your contribution.

While Living in Taiwan is a busy, wide-ranging forum, there are other specific forums for relationships, teaching, business, legal issues, animals, food, events, travel, restaurants, and so on. Check the Forumosa menu to find the most appropriate place for your post.

While it is preferable to post questions dealing with dissimilar topics in separate threads (“How Much for an Apartment in Tianmu?”, “Are There Many Foreigners in Tianmu?”), if you are a new arrival, it is possible to present numerous questions in one post, but realize that your thread will then, after two weeks, be merged into the New to Taiwan: Some Questions thread.

Re: Car badge modification ~ The newest ridiculous fad to hit Taiwan?

Postby the bear » 28 Jun 2012, 16:23

tommy525 wrote:Well at least when you are old and grizzled you can still get CARS if not the 20 something girls :)

I think they invented Pattaya to solve this problem.
I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific.
the bear
National Security Advisor (guójiā ānquán gùwèn)
National Security Advisor (guójiā ānquán gùwèn)

In Taiwan since: 23 Aug 1990

Postby antarcticbeech » 28 Jun 2012, 16:27

the bear wrote:
tommy525 wrote:Well at least when you are old and grizzled you can still get CARS if not the 20 something girls :)

Announcing the new Ford Pattaya! :D
X
antarcticbeech
Second Landlord (èr fáng dōng)

Postby superking » 28 Jun 2012, 16:45

I also don't get the attraction of cars and of adorning them with stickers and things. But if I won the lottery I would buy this bike simply cos it looks sweet and is emblazoned with one of my most well used products....

There are millions of people in the world. And none of those people is an extra. They're all leads in their own stories.

If you lose one sense, your other senses are enhanced. That's why people with no sense of humour have an increased sense of self-importance.
superking
Overpaid Foreign Athlete (duō fù xīn shuǐ guò gāo de wài jí yùn dòng yuán)
Overpaid Foreign Athlete (duō fù xīn shuǐ guò gāo de wài jí yùn dòng yuán)

Postby finley » 28 Jun 2012, 17:00

the bear wrote:

And Rohypnol.
"Global warming is happening and we KNOW that man is 100 percent responsible!!!"
- Fred Smith
finley
Entering Second Childhood (èrdù tóngnián qī)
Entering Second Childhood (èrdù tóngnián qī)

Postby Northcoast Surfer » 28 Jun 2012, 20:46

antarcticbeech wrote:I've never really understood why guys (and I'm assuming it is a guy thing) are so interested in cars. Some Australian guys do all sorts of stupid shit - buy shiny magnesium wheels, make the engines louder, install ridiculously sized stereo systems, get blue headlights etc etc - and then drive around the city all night long (where there are 60kph speed limits and lots of police) looking at girls. Seems an arduous way to get pussy.

America has a small subset of these kind of idiots, too. We even have a special pejorative to refer to them. They're called "Ricers". As a classic car collector and enthusiast, I look at these types of car modifications as a form of automobile abuse. All of my cars are completely stock without any modifications. You know.....classic.

However, the Ricers are a minority group of usually teens/early 20s type boys who have seen one too many car movies like Too Fast Too Furious, Tokyo Drift, etc. But, in Taiwan, you can find those Europlates on everything from cars, to blue trucks, taxis, and even scooters and motorcycles. Seems like the urge to imitate crosses all levels of society in Taiwan. I'm waiting to see a taxi cab with a modified devil horns and pitchfork badge. It's going to happen! :loco:

Urban Dictionary wrote:
Ricer: from the latin word Ricarius meaning to suck at everything you attempt.

A person who makes unecessary modifications to their most often import car (hence the term "rice") to make it (mostly make it look) faster. The most common modifications are (but not limited to):

- Huge exhaust that serves no purpose but to make the car louder
- Large spoiler on the back that looks like something Boeing made for the 747
- Lots of after-market company stickers they don't have parts from, but must be cool
- Expensive rims that usually cost more than the car itself
- Bodykit to make the car appear lower, usually accented with chicken wire
- Clear tail lights and corner signals
- A "performace intake"- a tube that feeds cold air to their engine usually located in areas of excessive heat (behind or on top of the engine)
- Most of these riced cars (a.k.a. rice rockets or rice burners) are imports; Honda Civics, Accords, Integras, CRXs, RSXs, Del Sols Mitsubishi Eclipses, Lancers, Subaru Imprezas, however there are some domestics such as Chevrolet Caviliers, Dodge Neons, Ford Focus; small, slow, economy cars designed specifically to go slow. Please note that some Supras, Skylines, WRX's and other higher performance imports are designed to go fast, and are therfore not always considered rice. It really depends on the severity of the case.

The "ricer" attempts to make their car "performance" by adding the modifications listed above. These ricers are not confined to any one ethnic group or color, however different ethnic groups are known for certain styles.
Honda Civics with big spoilers and 4" exhaust tips are considered to be ricers.

Northcoast Surfer
Not actually banned (he just tells everyone he is)

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Postby tommy525 » 29 Jun 2012, 00:10

the bear wrote:

except those girls have more miles on them then my old clapper ford.
tommy525
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

Postby Taiwan Luthiers » 29 Jun 2012, 01:52

The only use I have for nos is for hybrid rockets... It's a rocket that basically uses plastic or anything that burns well (but not on its own) as fuel, and has a liquid or gas oxidizer, which in the case of hobby rocketry, they usually use nos because it's easy to get and not expensive like pressurized oxygen.

Might think about building a hybrid rocket sometimes, probably saves me the trouble of buying expensive ammonium perchlorate and making my own fuel grains.
Cat-gut strings are made from kitten guts, stretched out to near breaking point and then hardened with grue saliva. As a result these give a feeling of Pain and anguish whenever played, and often end up playing themselves backwards as part of satanic rituals.

Typhoon Guitars
http://www.typhoonguitars.com
Taiwan Luthiers
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)

Postby antarcticbeech » 29 Jun 2012, 02:31

Northcoast Surfer wrote:All of my cars are completely stock without any modifications. You know.....classic.

See, now, I like that. When I was growing up in the eighties my mum had a gold 1971 Morris Mini K (made in Australia, K standing for kangaroo :lol: ). I used to get picked up from primary school in style, unlike the other children in their Ford Falcons and Holden (GM) Commodores. None of that flat bonneted Leyland shit in my family.

And my brother's second car was a 1971 Valiant Regal with a 245 hemi. Drum brakes all round. Bench seats so you could legally take six to a party. Top speed 117 mph (with such soft suspension that it rocked from side to side like a boat at sea). The best thing about the Val (auto, three on the tree) was that the speedometer worked in reverse and the reverse gear was ridiculously high. I remember doing 45mph in reverse down a dirt road in the Murraylands whilst my stoned passengers looked on in terror. But there was nothing but wheat fields if I happened to spin out of control.

:thumbsup:

Haven't seen many classics in Taiwan, come to think of it.

(Er, and I realise my youth in considering 1970 cars 'classic' :no-no: .
X
antarcticbeech

Postby asiababy » 29 Jun 2012, 07:44

antarcticbeech wrote:
Northcoast Surfer wrote:All of my cars are completely stock without any modifications. You know.....classic.

See, now, I like that. When I was growing up in the eighties my mum had a gold 1971 Morris Mini K (made in Australia, K standing for kangaroo :lol: ). I used to get picked up from primary school in style, unlike the other children in their Ford Falcons and Holden (GM) Commodores. None of that flat bonneted Leyland shit in my family.

Growing up in the eighties, my mum had a 1960-something Morris Mini she'd been driving since the 60's. We used to make her park 200 meters away from the school gate so nobody would see us crawl out of it. When dad got the Leyland, we were finally COOL.
Family-friendly events and destinations Taiwan-wide. http://kidzone-tw.blogspot.com/
asiababy
Martyr's Shrine Guard (zhōngliècí wèibīng)
Martyr's Shrine Guard (zhōngliècí wèibīng)

Postby Battery9 » 29 Jun 2012, 08:36

I'm a rice freak:)
Battery9

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Return to Living in Taiwan