Click here to go to our new forums at http://tw.forumosa.com
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

Visa Requirements for International Schools

Short-term and long-term visas, application requirements, waiting times, advantages and disadvantages of stay vs. resident visas, who needs an ARC, and why do people opt for permanent residency
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Re: Visa Requirements for International Schools

Postby Otis » 24 Jul 2016, 20:05

This is great. Thank you. Yes I will contact the school and figure out the visa requirement for TAS. The concept of Visitor Visa baffles me as it allows people to stay for 90 days with option to renew but as an US citizen we get this privilege anyways without having to obtain Visitor visa Anyways no?

By the way which bank do U guys think is most flexible in terms of openin accounts without ARC and since my wife doesn't speak Mandarin do u guys think her best bet is to open an account with HSBC or Citi?
Otis
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Postby Abacus » 24 Jul 2016, 20:41

There is little reason to get a visitor visa now since they have given Americans 90 day visa exempt. The visitor visa makes more sense for the many countries that don't have 90 day visa exempt or for those that can get an extendable visitor visa (usually 3x per entry).

I think either an HSBC or Citi account is an excellent choice but I think both require fairly substantial opening and/or minimum balances. AFAIK you can open an account anywhere with a National ID number. You can request a National ID number even if you don't have an ARC.
Abacus
National Security Advisor (guójiā ānquán gùwèn)

Postby Liam Og » 24 Jul 2016, 20:46

Depending on who you are talking to there are some restrictions about extending a landing visa or changing it into a resident permit. That's why it might be worth your while getting visitor visas at Teco. It might save you a visa run.

Otis wrote:This is great. Thank you. Yes I will contact the school and figure out the visa requirement for TAS. The concept of Visitor Visa baffles me as it allows people to stay for 90 days with option to renew but as an US citizen we get this privilege anyways without having to obtain Visitor visa Anyways no?

By the way which bank do U guys think is most flexible in terms of openin accounts without ARC and since my wife doesn't speak Mandarin do u guys think her best bet is to open an account with HSBC or Citi?
Liam Og
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)

In Taiwan since: 02 Apr 2009

Postby Otis » 24 Jul 2016, 21:37

If my wife decides to enter a language program then I am assuming that she will get her residency based on this. If so, will my children also be eligible for residency on the back of this? I guess if this were to be the case then it will solve all the visa issue on our part. Any good program recommended near Da'an Park? Also is there an attendance minimum that is needed for school to renew your visa status? As in how many hours per week? Ideally less would be better. Are certain school more flexible than others on this issue?
Otis

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Postby Abacus » 24 Jul 2016, 22:16

She needs to attend 75 or 80% of the classes. Every program requires 10 hours/wk of class and 5 hours/wk of immersion activities (Tai-Chi, Calligraphy, Reading, etc...).

I know that a school in Kaohsiung allows for you to makeup classes to stay above the minimum. That may or may not be true in Taipei.
Abacus

Postby teggs » 25 Jul 2016, 08:06

If your goal is for your children to learn Chinese, perhaps TAS would not be the best option. AFAIK their program is all in English except for the occasional Chinese class.

What about one of the bilingual schools? There are a few in Taipei - Lih-Jen, Fuxing, Wego, Kwei-shan. Probably a few that I have forgotten about, also some in New Taipei - Kangchiao,Yu-tsai, Yu-teh.

fwiw
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.
Plato (427 BC - 347 BC)
teggs
Chinese Class Dropout (Zhōngwén kè zhōngchuòshēng)
Chinese Class Dropout (Zhōngwén kè zhōngchuòshēng)

Postby Liam Og » 25 Jul 2016, 12:58

Otis wrote:If my wife decides to enter a language program then I am assuming that she will get her residency based on this. If so, will my children also be eligible for residency on the back of this?

One parent with a resident permit can sponsor the resident permit for all direct family members. But there is paper work and the level of run around will depend on what exactly they ask you to provide. Usually things have to be translated and authenticated in some way before it can be used.

If I was you I would contact the immigration department
Liam Og
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)

In Taiwan since: 02 Apr 2009

Postby Petrichor » 29 Jul 2016, 06:58

Otis wrote:If my wife decides to enter a language program then I am assuming that she will get her residency based on this. If so, will my children also be eligible for residency on the back of this? I guess if this were to be the case then it will solve all the visa issue on our part. Any good program recommended near Da'an Park? Also is there an attendance minimum that is needed for school to renew your visa status? As in how many hours per week? Ideally less would be better. Are certain school more flexible than others on this issue?

Yes your children can get ARCs based on your wife's student status. Check with the Learning Chinese forum for a list of qualifying educational institutes: viewforum.php?f=40
There is a minimum hours and attendance requirement, but I don't think it's onerous. I don't think there's much flexibility as it's a Government regulation and the offending school could lose its status. IIRC some students have lost their status through poor attendance.

Teggs makes a good point that TAS isn't the place to go for Mandarin acquisition for your children. Most children attending these schools are Taiwanese (with foreign passports) and their children are sending them there to learn native-speaker standard English. Mandarin classes aren't a priority. However I would also caution against the bilingual schools, which can be very high pressure.
Use what talents you possess: The woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best.

http://talesfromthebeautifulisle.blogspot.com/
http://jjgreenauthor.com/
Petrichor
Martyr's Shrine Guard (zhōngliècí wèibīng)
Martyr's Shrine Guard (zhōngliècí wèibīng)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Previous

Return to Visa & Residency Issues