Click here to go to our new forums at
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

Residency/Visitor rights based on "private study"?

Short-term and long-term visas, application requirements, waiting times, advantages and disadvantages of stay vs. resident visas, who needs an ARC, and why do people opt for permanent residency
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Residency/Visitor rights based on "private study"?

Postby Guest » 17 Apr 2001, 19:53

I would like to come and live in Taiwan so that I can learn Mandarin (not through a formal school). I do not need to work so I don't need a work permit. Ideally I would like to to be able to stay at least 3 months at a time before having to do a visa run and expect to stay here for at least 2 years. How can I get multiple entry visa if I don't have an employer or an approved educational course?

Non working residency

Postby Guest » 18 Apr 2001, 14:38

If you are going to be studying Chinese but not through a formal school, how are you going to study? At a private school or by yourself/with a private teacher.

The main private schools, like TLI, CLD, Pioneer etc can give you documentation which will alllow you to receive a 60 day extendable visa (sometimes referred to as a student visa, but it's just a visitor visa with studya s purpose fo visit). You have to get this outside of Taiwan, so you'll need to get the papers first (and pay fees first) or leave and come back. This allows you to stay 60 days and pop into the police station to get it updated fairly effortlessly every month up to a total of six months before you do a visa run.

If you've got someone to teach you privately or are just planning on doing it alone (which I don;t think is a good idea) I think you may as well sign up with a school for 10 hours a week anyway to get that visa and the extra classes can't hurt right? This would be impossible in smaller cities, countryside though.

The other alternatoive is to sign up for classes with a dodgy school like Flag/CLI where you don't have to actually attend classes. This is done by a lot of illegal teachers etc. You could even live in the country and pop into Taipei every month for the visa extension.

   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Return to Visa & Residency Issues

Who is online

Forumosans browsing this forum: No Forumosans and 3 guests