Click here to go to our new forums at http://tw.forumosa.com
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

Nutritional Information in Chinese...

This is the place for Forumosans to post recipes, cooking tips and culinary-related discussions.

Nutritional Information in Chinese...

Postby Reaperjim » 22 Oct 2004, 14:55

I am having trouble reading the nutritional information on food labels in Taiwan. Can anyone show me which Chinese characters translate to:

Calories

Potassium

Iron

Calcium

Magnesium

Phosphorus

Zinc

Vitamin A

Vitamin B6

Vitamin B12

Vitamin C

Vitamin E

Niacin

Riboflavin

Thiamin

Folate

Fiber

Carbohydrates

Sodium

Cholesterol

Fat

Protein

Your help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

James
Madam Speaker said,
Reaperjim
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Re: Nutritional Information in Chinese...

Postby robert_storey » 22 Oct 2004, 16:17

Reaperjim wrote:I am having trouble reading the nutritional information on food labels in Taiwan. Can anyone show me which Chinese characters translate to:
James

Most of us who speak Chinese probably still couldn't answer your question without looking up half of those characters in the dictionary. If you're going to be here for awhile, I suggest you really ought to invest in a good English-Chinese dictionary, even if you don't intend to study Chinese. I believe every one of those words you wanted to know can be found in the better dictionaries - just avoid the cheap pocket-sized editions and you'll be OK.

If you want one with Pinyin (highly recommended), I've been using the Oxford Concise English-Chinese Chinese-English Dictionary for years. I suppose it's still being published, though I haven't checked in awhile.

regards,
Robert
robert_storey
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

Postby TainanCowboy » 22 Oct 2004, 17:04

Robert...thanks for the tip.
"Pardon him, Theodotus; he is a barbarian and thinks that the customs of his tribe and island are the laws of nature" --- "Caesar and Cleopatra"...G.B. Shaw
-----
Kid Rock - Born Free
-----
"The big sisters are usually hot, but the dads smell of alcohol and tobacco....and have dirty feet with dead toe nails in blue slippers. "...Bob_Honest on "The Culture"
------
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes
------
Isaiah 40:31
TainanCowboy
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

Postby Taoist » 22 Oct 2004, 23:52

Calories 熱量
Potassium 鉀
Iron 鐵
Calcium 鈣
Magnesium 鎂
Phosphorus 磷
Zinc 鋅
Vitamin A 維他命 A
Vitamin B6 維他命 B6
Vitamin B12 維他命 B12
Vitamin C 維他命 C
Vitamin E 維他命 E
Niacin 菸鹼素
Riboflavin (didn't find)
Thiamin (vitamin B1) 維他命 B1
Folate 葉酸
Fiber 纖維
Carbohydrates 碳水化合物
Sodium 鈉
Cholesterol 膽固醇
Fat 脂肪
Protein 蛋白質
Taoist

Postby bushibanned » 23 Oct 2004, 09:59

cool! :) I've been wondering the same thing for 3 years now!
bushibanned
Fried Chicken-Parts Vendor (yán sū jī xiǎofàn)

Postby Bu Lai En » 23 Oct 2004, 13:15

Y'know, if you're in the 7-11 and you want to check the nutritional info, quite a lot of products have it in English too, so even if what you want to buy doesn't, you can easily compare.

Brian
I have news. Good news from Notting Hill. The consignment of white gold for Mr Anderson has arrived.

http://theboolion.wordpress.com/ Image
Bu Lai En
Thinking of Staging a Coup (xiǎng yào gǎo zhèng biàn)
Thinking of Staging a Coup (xiǎng yào gǎo zhèng biàn)

Postby bushibanned » 23 Oct 2004, 15:18

this might be a stupid question :oops: , but is there a "metric way" to list nutritional info? I've just noticed it always looks different than in the states, esp. when it is listed in english.
bushibanned

Thanks so much..

Postby Reaperjim » 23 Oct 2004, 17:11

Taoist wrote:Calories 熱量
Potassium 鉀
Iron 鐵
Calcium 鈣
Magnesium 鎂
Phosphorus 磷
Zinc 鋅
Vitamin A 維他命 A
Vitamin B6 維他命 B6
Vitamin B12 維他命 B12
Vitamin C 維他命 C
Vitamin E 維他命 E
Niacin 菸鹼素
Riboflavin (didn't find)
Thiamin (vitamin B1) 維他命 B1
Folate 葉酸
Fiber 纖維
Carbohydrates 碳水化合物
Sodium 鈉
Cholesterol 膽固醇
Fat 脂肪
Protein 蛋白質

That was amazing and so helpful. Thanks and thanks again!
Madam Speaker said,
Reaperjim

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Postby Taoist » 24 Oct 2004, 06:35

No problem. The label comes from the back of my can of powdered milk (Quaker brand) and most of the words you asked for were on there. It's both in English and in Chinese. If I can find "riboflavin" I'll post it.

Bushibanned, all the nutritional information here is posted in metric, such as a "per 100 grams" serving. gram = 公克

Taoist
Taoist

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Return to Food & Drink