My ride is unlicensed / unregistered / stolen and...

Welcome to the forum for all things related to the internal combustion engine and or driving in Taiwan. Topics including (but not limited to) drivers' licenses, vehicular issues, what to do in traffic accidents, driving in Taiwan, good mechanics, etc. are all excellent candidates for this forum.

Moderator: John

My ride is unlicensed / unregistered / stolen and...

Postby forefit » 28 Jul 2011, 00:00

So the other day I turned left on my scooter at a busy intersection and got caught by the cops sitting there and waiting for me. After pretending to be a dumb clueless foreigner (I knew exactly what I had done I'm just kinda wanted to get home ASAP) I get slapped with a lovely fine. However nowhere on the ticket does it state as to how much the fine is, how is much a traffic violation like this going to be?? or since it doesn't say how much it is on the ticket I don't have to pay a fine? (Yes, I know wishful thinking and that) Also the scooter was driven by me but is in the name of someone else who has long since left the country but we never exchanged the papers who would be liable for the fine. I suppose I should just take the fine like a man really.

After reading this post I don't think I really should be driving on the road, driving a scooter with no documents, doing left turns on intersections and trying to not bother pay the fine LOL
Pfffff! Zzzzzzz! Waaaaaa!?
forefit
Breakfast Store Laoban (zǎocān diàn lǎobǎn)

ORIGINAL POSTER
1 Recognized(s)

Re: Traffic Violation Fines

Postby engerim » 28 Jul 2011, 00:13

get rid of the scooter and get a properly licensed one. otherwise you might see a quite large bill if they catch you for real
Forumosan avatar
engerim
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)

8 Recommends(s)
16 Recognized(s)

Postby forefit » 28 Jul 2011, 00:54

engerim wrote:get rid of the scooter and get a properly licensed one. otherwise you might see a quite large bill if they catch you for real

I'm not really doing anything that illegal. I'm insured on it, I have the correct license, I'm just "borrowing" it from a friend and I actually have the paperwork showing it's in my friends name.
forefit

ORIGINAL POSTER
1 Recognized(s)

Postby pqkdzrwt » 28 Jul 2011, 01:04

forefit wrote:Also the scooter was driven by me but is in the name of someone else who has long since left the country but we never exchanged the papers who would be liable for the fine. I suppose I should just take the fine like a man really.

How do you know you are not riding a scooter which at some point in the past was stolen from the original owner? I would recommend ditching it for a legit one.
Never wrestle with a pig—you get dirty and the pig likes it
pqkdzrwt
Scooter Commuter (qí jī chē shàng xià bān)
Scooter Commuter (qí jī chē shàng xià bān)

4 Recommends(s)
18 Recognized(s)

Postby Super Hans » 28 Jul 2011, 01:12

If it is insured then it won't be stolen. You can't insure a stolen scooter and the guy said he has the documents in a friend's name.

The fine last time I got done for this was 600NT I if I remember correctly. Now the thing is, if you have a fine, you won't be able to change the paperwork across without paying it. Seeing as the fine will be in the name of the last owner and sent to that address, you won't get the fine and you won't be able to pay it, so you'll have difficulty changing the name over to you. It can be done if you go over to the DMV, but then you need your friend to sign some paperwork releasing it to you. That may be difficult unless your friend has very long arms, unless you send the documents to your friend, which takes time.
The bones got the wrong detail I hoped it would have for you
Safe for a shin bone or even a hand
It's such a lonely ride...
Forumosan avatar
Super Hans
Street Dog Chaser (zhuīgǎn liúlàng gǒu)

42 Recommends(s)
149 Recognized(s)

Postby forefit » 28 Jul 2011, 01:16

Well I have been stopped by the cops before and they have done checks on the scooters and so on and there hasn't been any problems. Surely if it was stolen they have seen that when putting it through the computers?? Also I have attempted to transfer it into my name before but got half way through the process and failed due to some silly complicated issue. If it was stolen they would have picked up on it. I'm sure that it's not stolen.
forefit

ORIGINAL POSTER
1 Recognized(s)

Postby Super Hans » 28 Jul 2011, 01:44

There you go then. In that case, there shouldn't be a problem. You may get done for some silly tax thing, but you won't incur any fines because it is not in your name. Just don't rack up too many as you may get it confiscated. You won't be able to sell the scooter if it has any fines on it until they are paid off, but as it is not in your name anyway this won't be an issue.
The bones got the wrong detail I hoped it would have for you
Safe for a shin bone or even a hand
It's such a lonely ride...
Forumosan avatar
Super Hans

42 Recommends(s)
149 Recognized(s)

Postby forefit » 28 Jul 2011, 08:16

Thank you so much for providing me with a straight answer, this is all I need to know.
forefit

ORIGINAL POSTER
1 Recognized(s)

Postby alidarbac » 28 Jul 2011, 09:46

I thought moving violations where you're pulled over were made out to the driver, not the owner of the scooter.
Forumosan avatar
alidarbac

4 Recommends(s)
6 Recognized(s)

Postby redwagon » 28 Jul 2011, 11:07

OK. It seems like there is one of these threads being started every week featuring some scofflaw bignose and an unregistered / stolen / my-dog-ate-my-homework kind of vehicle. This is now the sticky thread for this topic and all new ones will be merged into this... like a mini legal forum inside C&M for the unlicensed / illegal crowd. I would prefer if people would start these discussions in General Legal and it's not fair to the GL mods that I drop a new carbon-copy thread into their lap every week.
Signature censored.
redwagon
Thinking of Staging a Coup (xiǎng yào gǎo zhèng biàn)
Thinking of Staging a Coup (xiǎng yào gǎo zhèng biàn)

1 Recommends(s)
9 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Proceed to Cars & Motorcycles