Click here to go to our new forums at http://tw.forumosa.com
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

Cats and Dogs in Taiwan

Cats and Dogs in Taiwan

Postby Peter Schwartz » 17 Jul 2002, 01:38

Both times that I've been in Taiwan, I've seen a lot of cats and dogs on the streets. Most of them looked like they were unhealthy and hungry, and I take it were all strays. I've got to admit, I have a soft spot for pets, and it was tough seeing all them on the street. I take it many people don't have pets because they live in apartments and it's difficult in the big cities to take a pet out for a walk without getting runover. And, most people don't have yards to let their pets play in.

Has the situation improved at all in Taiwan? I mean, are they sterilizing animals more now than before? Are there fewer animals on the streets? I don't want to see these cats and dogs put to sleep. Ideally, they should be taken to a rural setting.
Peter Schwartz

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Cats and Dogs in Taiwan

Postby goinabroad » 17 Jul 2002, 02:51

Yep. The stray dog and cat population here is awful, but not many people are even bothering to put them to sleep, let alone neuter and spay. It's kinda sickening.

It looks like someone is starting to do something about it though. See this link for more details.

I know a few people who have picked up kittens off the street, given them a good bath and taken them to the vet, and they've turned out to be great kitties! Personally, I brought my cats with me and went through the whole quarantine thing with them, so I got to spend a fair amount of time at the veterinary hospital in Taichung. It was not the most pleasant experience, but now that it is over, I'm glad I brought them! [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img] I would be miserable without them!

[img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Karen
goinabroad

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Cats and Dogs in Taiwan

Postby nemesis » 17 Jul 2002, 07:38

As an "animal person" that was the hardest part for me when I first came here. The street animals are in horrid condition and their lives as family pets aren't much better; despite having a buddhist heritage and claiming to respect animals, I haven't found this to be the case.

Recently a student of mine gave me a tiny puppy that her father had beaten senseless because it had the nerve to cry at night (apparently puppies shouldn't do this; I must have had dysfunctional puppies growing up) and he was going to take it into the country and "set it free" like so many of the disposable dogs you see in the street. We agreed to take her short-term until a proper home was found, and later found her a home with a very nice girl studying to be a veterinarian. With many tears, I bid "my" puppy adeiu, only to have her returned about six weeks later because it "wasn't working out".

My puppy was a different dog. She was fearful, slinking around like a taiwanese street dog, and cried whenever left alone, even if one of us went to the bathroom. She had a skin condition that we're still working on, but it's been worth it; she once again acts like a confident "western" dog and is the sweetest thing, though much much bigger. To this day, though, she's afraid of thin Chinese men and will bark violently or just jump up wanting to be held.

So what to do? At one time, I said I would never adopt a dog in Taiwan because I couldn't give it a good home, but now my opinion differs; I'm giving a dog a home that is better than that of any Southern Taiwanese dogs that I've encountered, and she seems healthy and well adjusted, and should be happy when we take her to Canada.

The most useful website I've found about dogs or cats in Taiwan is from the Taipei Abandoned Animal Rescue Foundation (which is actually how I linked to ORIENTED, through another page). If you type "Taiwan dog" into a search engine, it should come up. Consider helping them out; they help animals in the shelters by bringing them to adoptive families in North America, and they have some information about quarantine laws, etc.
[img]images/smiles/converted/hip-o-dude.gif[/img]
nemesis
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)

Cats and Dogs in Taiwan

Postby Alien » 17 Jul 2002, 09:24

Living in Taipei city, I'd have to say this situation has improved a bit over the years. Just a bit. I used to run into 'tumor' dogs very often on the streets, but now, I believe they're incinerated regularly by the dog squad. I would venture to guess that the countryside or areas outside Taipei still see their fair share of diseased and mangey hounds. And yes, this is a shocking state of affairs considering the affluence of the Taiwan people.

I feel like ripping my heart out every time I see boxes of kitties and puppies at the markets because I know, that even if they are taken home, they're likely to NEVER lead a decent life or be taken care of properly by their owners. They're either caged up, put on the balcony for their existence, never taken for walks, rarely played with, beaten for doing doggy or kitty things and generally considered a nuisance until they're dumped in the countryside as one poster mentioned above.

I have rescued at least a dozen kitties from the streets, and a handful of dogs and found them good (western) homes, and the two cats I have now were also refugee kittens, and they are the sweetest wee wees in the world. I would seriously consider taking in a few more cats, but I know I just can't...

I do not understand why one would want to buy a pet in this town when there are so many adorable abandoned ones who should have a chance to flourish in a nice home. And those bastards at the markets should be strung up by their balls for taking part in the further abuse of our furry friends by letting them go to just anyone. In the US, you are screened by the Humane society when you want to adopt a pet, there isn't even a Humane society IN Taiwan...See: Humane Society International Supports Animal Welfare in Taiwan

Please, people, if you feel the need to adopt a pet, go to Grandma Nitti's and ask Rainbow or anyone there, she usually has a few around that people have dumped on her when they've found them on the streets, etc. The main reason I support Nitti's as a patron at all, is because I know she does a lot for the stray population of Taipei.

The Taipei Abandoned Animal Rescue Foundation was founded by a Taipei American School girl named Mina Sharpe who thought that the situation was so disheartening here that she actually did something about it. I don't know if this young lady has graduated and moved back to America or not, but she did a great service to the domestic animals of Taiwan by getting this organisation going. SHE is a young heroine who is also deserving of a Taiwan APRC, but she probably doesn't want one...

Horrible treatment of pets doesn't just stop with dogs and cats. Just a week or so ago, I found a box of dying/dead hamsters in the park on Shi-Da Rd. There were about eight in the box, it was boiling hot, and someone had just dumped them there. It's just idiotic that the person who dumped them didn't even bother to try to give them to a pet shop.
And overt your eyes if you go to Snake Alley, if not for the snakes, for the poor Macaqs, the native Taiwan monkeys.

I try to make sense of it all by reasoning that in general (with a few exceptions) Chinese people do not care for animals because their people suffered so much through the ages and animals (any kind) were either used for work or eaten, so bonds were generally not formed with pets as in Western countries. But this situation in a "modern" society like Taiwan is extremely backwards, and I believe the only way to change things is through education. So, if anyone out there teaches kids, I surely hope that you're making inroads daily about the humane treatment of animals.

I'm practically 'et up' now by this whole issue, while one of my gutter-rescued kitties, lazes on my feet.
Alien
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)

Cats and Dogs in Taiwan

Postby Juba » 17 Jul 2002, 10:11

Alien wrote:I feel like ripping my heart out every time I see boxes of kitties and puppies at the markets...

Why feed them human body parts when a can of pet food would do?
Juba
Thinking of Having Kids (xiǎng yào shēng xiǎo hái)

Cats and Dogs in Taiwan

Postby Mark Nagel » 17 Jul 2002, 13:29

There's a stray dog that hangs around my neighborhood. He's very friendly and he wags his tail whenever he sees me (because I'm the only one who pets him). But he looks very emaciated (just skin and bones) and he has a serious flea problem, and recently he's been starting to lose his hair.

For the last few months, I've been watching him get thinner and thinner, so since about a week ago, I started feeding him some table scraps once a day. He's very happy to get the scraps of meat that I feed him, but then he found out where I live and now he's laying down in front of my front door all day and he follows me around every time I walk outside. I don't mind it, but my wife (who's Taiwanese) gets angry every time she sees the dog near me and keeps telling me that the best thing to do is to let him starve to death "to relieve him of his misery". Also she doesn't like the dog following me around because she's afraid of fleas getting on me and then getting into the house (although so far, I haven't gotten any flea bites yet).

I'll give 1000 NT to anyone who agrees to adopt this dog and give him a good home. (However, you'll have to come here to Jiayi County to pick up the dog.)
Mark Nagel
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)

Cats and Dogs in Taiwan

Postby Juba » 17 Jul 2002, 13:45

Mark: Get a divorce and marry Alien instead.

While you're waiting for Alien to think about it, you can buy from the vet's a kind of fluid that you apply to the skin between the dog's shoulderblades, which then gets rid of the fleas and ticks on the dog's body*. Once the fleas are gone, your wife might allow you to bring the dog in and give it a shower. Meanwhile you will have been feeding it, so it should be looking plumper and prettier. Also, it might have ear mites and mange. These can be cured in about a month. By the time you've done all that, the dog might be looking attractive enough for your wife to change her mind about it. Or a neighbour, or whoever. Good luck.

*Warning - That stuff is for dogs only, it's poisonous for cats.
Juba

Cats and Dogs in Taiwan

Postby Nian Hua » 17 Jul 2002, 15:41

Hey, if it gets rid of the problem then I am for it, some might not like this approach ...

Only trouble is in a short while it will only happen again as most people here have no idea of what looking after a pet is all about.
Nian Hua

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Cats and Dogs in Taiwan

Postby nemesis » 17 Jul 2002, 16:52

Regarding what Alien said in her post, re. Mina Sharpe, she has gone back to America, but has the taarf program working again in full swing. From what she's said on her website and what she's told me, it sounds like the Taipei American School is still doing a lot of the work in Taiwan, and they're planning to bring several dogs to America and Canada this summer to find them "proper" homes, or at least to live in proper shelters until this can happen. Also, the program seems to be getting more media attention, so let's cross our fingers.

As for what you said about that stray, Mark, I suggest you continue to do what you can; my dog has a friend like that too, and she's a darling, so we visit her on our walks and give her some food and water; I've put some frontline on her for ticks and fleas and am considering getting her spayed, but of course that raises certain moral questions. It's OK to feed and pet strays, but maybe getting them fixed requires a greater degree of responsibility. Hmmm, I guess it's good as food for thought anyway... Any thoughts?
nemesis

Cats and Dogs in Taiwan

Postby thyrdrail » 18 Jul 2002, 01:12

I don't see any other solution other than to exterminate all those strays. The shelters are full, and adoption is minimal. It's better than letting them run around starving to death and diseased. I have a dog myself (16years), so I'm not being cruel.
thyrdrail

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Return to Pets & Other Animals