Click here to go to our new forums at http://tw.forumosa.com
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

That beautiful long tailed Mnt bird

That beautiful long tailed Mnt bird

Postby jdsmith » 11 Mar 2005, 09:49

I have to drive my son up to school in San Xia every day, and we keep seeing this really cool looking bird. It's the size of a small pheasant, black head, and blue black feathers. The blue tail is about a foot long. It is really a stunning bird and I wanted to tell my son what it was called. We saw six of them sitting in a tree during a morning rain last week.

Anybody have a clue? Thanks.
Your warning level: [1]
jdsmith
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Postby sandman » 11 Mar 2005, 12:48

Formosan blue magpie?
sandman
Manjusri (Wénshū)

Swinhoe's pheasant?

Postby Feiren » 11 Mar 2005, 13:04

http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/NDG/ ... KSwin.html

I've never seen a group though--just pairs.
Feiren
Has-been Pop Star (guòshí míngxīng)
Has-been Pop Star (guòshí míngxīng)

Postby jdsmith » 14 Mar 2005, 09:12

That looks like the one sandman, thanks.
jdsmith
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Postby Guest » 14 Mar 2005, 12:00

That's a pretty bird. I've been out and about down south and I've never seen one before. My guess is they are found in northern Taiwan or I've never been lucky enough to spot one.

Postby iris » 02 Dec 2005, 19:09

I saw a whole flock of them when I was hiking up Yangming Shan three weeks ago. I was walking up towards Qixingshan from the Visitor Center and had just turned right towards Lengshuikeng when I saw them. There was nobody else around (it was during the week), and about seven of them kept flying ahead of me and then would wait for me for at least five to ten minutes. I got so close to one of them, I got a fairly good shot even though it was foggy and all I had was my digital camera.

Iris
Iris in transition: Are we there yet?
iris
Street Dog Chaser (zhuīgǎn liúlàng gǒu)
Street Dog Chaser (zhuīgǎn liúlàng gǒu)

Postby jdsmith » 02 Dec 2005, 19:40

iris wrote:I saw a whole flock of them when I was hiking up Yangming Shan three weeks ago. I was walking up towards Qixingshan from the Visitor Center and had just turned left towards Lengshuikeng when I saw them. There was nobody else around (it was during the week), and about seven of them kept flying ahead of me and then would wait for me for at least five to ten minutes. I got so close to one of them, I got a fairly good shot even though it was foggy and all I had was my digital camera.

Iris

We just saw 4 of them at very close range on YMShan too. Cool song too.
jdsmith
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Postby Mucha Man » 02 Dec 2005, 22:43

Beautiful birds and yes they usually travel in packs. Whenever I see them there are at least 6. My wife and I were hiking near Pingxi last saturday when we looked up at saw a flock of them (over 10) fly overhead. Lovely. They are mid-altitude birds so you will see them often in Yangming Shan. Strange but I never see them in the hills around Mucha.
“Everywhere else in the world is also really old” said Prof. Liu, a renowned historian at Beijing University. “We always learn that China has 5000 years of cultural heritage, and that therefore we are very special. It appears that other places also have some of this heritage stuff. And are also old. Like, really old.”

https://www.facebook.com/taiwantemples
Mucha Man
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Return to Pets & Other Animals