Click here to go to our new forums at http://tw.forumosa.com
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

Snake surprise.

Snake surprise.

Postby Dangermouse » 23 Apr 2005, 23:25

Occasionally you are reminded about how superb Taiwan can be and how something unexpected often crops up out of nowhere.

I spent the day riding around the north coast today. I came back home and parked my motorcycle in the alley behind my apartment for about 20 minutes.
I returned to find this little chap hiding underneath:

http://tinypic.com/4l5cb6

This is a fresh (not 2 hours old at the time of posting) actual picture of the poisonous snake which I found having a cat nap (probably after eating one) under my motorcycle.

I live in Yonghe.

So does the snake, apparently. :eek:

I was extremely surprised to see this fella in an urban area. I live not far from a park and there is a house with a garden not far from my house. Also, there is a school across the road with some kind of garden.
Perhaps it's something to do with the rats.

It did taste nice, though.
Dangermouse
KTV Is My Life (jiùshì ài chàng KTV)

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Postby MJB » 23 Apr 2005, 23:56

It's also possible that you picked up the little hitchhiker on your foray and he climbed onto your motor to warm up and somehow survived the journey home......Between your legs :twisted:

Something to ponder on....What might have been a very interesting one way ride.

What did you do with the Habu?
Nemo enim fere saltat sobrius, nisi forte insanit
MJB
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)

Postby wangdoodle » 24 Apr 2005, 01:16

Excellent.

In 5 years of hiking, mountain biking, camping and sleeping under wooden platforms, I have never seen a live snake here.

Did you make the soup or deep fry it?
wangdoodle
Mastered ordering "beer" in Chinese (jīngtōng le yòng Guóyǔ shuō "píjiǔ")
Mastered ordering "beer" in Chinese (jīngtōng le yòng Guóyǔ shuō "píjiǔ")

Postby kelake » 24 Apr 2005, 01:50

How did you kill it? It fight back?
--
kelake
Street Dog Chaser (zhuīgǎn liúlàng gǒu)
Street Dog Chaser (zhuīgǎn liúlàng gǒu)

In Taiwan since: 01 Sep 1998

Postby brian » 24 Apr 2005, 09:03

I hope that you didn't kill the snake.

There are members on this forum, three I believe (including myself), who would gladly have come over and caught the snake for you and returned it to the mountains.

Failing that, the fire brigade do catch snakes as well, but I am not sure exactly what happens to the snakes they catch :eek:

Anyway, if anyone finds a snake that needs to be removed, please try and call for help before just making the decision to kill it. It is extremely dangerous to try and kill a snake anyway, so if safety is your concern then leaving the snake alone is certainly the safest option. Afterall, you can't get bitten if you are not there.

My number is 0917-056-118. I am not always available of course, but it is worth a try. Thanks.
brian
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)

Postby Loretta » 24 Apr 2005, 09:13

Good on yer, Brian. I don't like the idea of killing snakes either. Bring 'em to school to help you keep order in the classroom.

Haha, snake killed by mouse. That's funny.
Loretta
Retired President (tuì xiū de zǒng tǒng)
Retired President (tuì xiū de zǒng tǒng)

Postby Dangermouse » 24 Apr 2005, 11:39

MJB wrote:What did you do with the Habu?

brian wrote:I hope that you didn't kill the snake.

A neighbour and I caught it and stuffed it into a box. Then I took it to the mountains behind NanShiJiao and let it free.

Kelake wrote:How did you kill it? It fight back?

When we tried to catch it, it behaved nicely.

Being a pit viper I wasn't keen on killing it. Unfortunately, the neighbour that helped me told another neighbour who told the whole street who later appeared with brooms.

Having said that, I did kill a Gold Snake a few months back and I gave it to the neighbour to make soup out of, but only because I ran over its tail - prolly would have died anyway (He says to console himself and rid himself of guilt).
Loretta wrote:Haha, snake killed by mouse.

Hence "Danger" mouse :roll:

What MJB says about it hitching a ride under my motorcycle seems logical. My bike was parked on a grassy area for about an hour and a half - yikes!
Dangermouse

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Postby MJB » 24 Apr 2005, 12:21

Good for you...

I'm happy you had the foresight to let it go unharmed. He was probably pretty cold by the time your neighber picked him up....A few degrees warmer and they can be pretty aggresive.

The Habu is at home in urban environments, especially anywhere where nature and residences butt up against each other. So, although I love the idea of the mouse riding home in ignorant bliss of a potential bite to the nuts :twisted: , it's just as likely he came from somewhere in your neighborhood, attracted by the post-long ride heat eminating from your RZ....

I came home from the mountains one day and found the exact same beast lurking at my front door......
Nemo enim fere saltat sobrius, nisi forte insanit
MJB

Postby Mucha Man » 24 Apr 2005, 15:10

I saw this little black guy around Shifen last weekend. Can anyone identify him?

http://robert1566.fotopic.net/p14142425.html
“Everywhere else in the world is also really old” said Prof. Liu, a renowned historian at Beijing University. “We always learn that China has 5000 years of cultural heritage, and that therefore we are very special. It appears that other places also have some of this heritage stuff. And are also old. Like, really old.”

https://www.facebook.com/taiwantemples
Mucha Man
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

Postby seeker4 » 25 Apr 2005, 20:02

Muzha Man wrote:I saw this little black guy around Shifen last weekend. Can anyone identify him?

http://robert1566.fotopic.net/p14142425.html

Is it just me, or does that link only give half of a photo and no snake?
"There is a benefit even in misfortune, for it is the rod with which a man can measure the loyalty of friends."
-Tirukkural 80:796 (Hindu text)
seeker4
Wild Chicken Bus Driver (yě jī chē sī jī)
Wild Chicken Bus Driver (yě jī chē sī jī)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Return to Pets & Other Animals