Click here to go to our new forums at http://tw.forumosa.com
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

Why Cats Purr?

Why Cats Purr?

Postby mr_boogie » 08 Oct 2005, 23:50

I know this is a scientifical question, as nowone excatly knows why... but it is the cutiest thing a cat has, so here is a dedicated post to them. Let's hear about it (and I hope no one will talk about it being for the sake of their bone structure..... it is such a lame answer....)
If a motorcyclist wants to show national pride, enhance social safety and family happiness, he/she must: (1) drive ethically and obey the laws (2) have great driving skills (3) stop smoking and drinking

(from the driving license test......)
mr_boogie
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Postby TheGingerMan » 09 Oct 2005, 04:33

because they are bored and they love the sound of their own voice, ..err own purr....?
TheGingerMan
Bureaucrat of the Underworld (cóng dìyù lái de guānliáo)
Bureaucrat of the Underworld (cóng dìyù lái de guānliáo)

In Taiwan since: 0- 0-2114
Gruntleness: Fully Disgruntled

Postby Woudsprite » 09 Oct 2005, 09:28

because they can't say, "oh ya, thats it, thats the spot, keeeeeppppp scratching" That and they sleep a whole bunch, an animal that is that lazy can't be bothered to learn another language.
I subscribe to the Flying Spaghetti Monster theory
Woudsprite
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

Postby TainanCowboy » 09 Oct 2005, 10:02

...because they don't know the words...
"Pardon him, Theodotus; he is a barbarian and thinks that the customs of his tribe and island are the laws of nature" --- "Caesar and Cleopatra"...G.B. Shaw
-----
Kid Rock - Born Free
-----
"The big sisters are usually hot, but the dads smell of alcohol and tobacco....and have dirty feet with dead toe nails in blue slippers. "...Bob_Honest on "The Culture"
------
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes
------
Isaiah 40:31
TainanCowboy
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

Postby DSN » 09 Oct 2005, 11:56

Actually, cat purrs remain one of the mysteries of our universe. Seriously.

Researchers are not sure how cats even make this sound, although they do have theories about vibrating cartilege etc.

What I do know is that when my 2 cats purr, it makes my day. And they are surely the world's LOUDEST purrers.
DSN
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

Postby mr_boogie » 09 Oct 2005, 15:30

I think it is because they cannot say the "mmmmmmmmmmmm", yes yes yes....... we have to test if they do purr after a shower with Herbal Essences.....
If a motorcyclist wants to show national pride, enhance social safety and family happiness, he/she must: (1) drive ethically and obey the laws (2) have great driving skills (3) stop smoking and drinking

(from the driving license test......)
mr_boogie

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Re: Why Cats Purr?

Postby rahimiiii » 10 Oct 2005, 11:27

mr_boogie wrote:I know this is a scientifical question, as nowone excatly knows why... but it is the cutiest thing a cat has, so here is a dedicated post to them. Let's hear about it (and I hope no one will talk about it being for the sake of their bone structure..... it is such a lame answer....)

Because Cats are such a purrrrrfect pet...
rahimiiii
Eldest Grandchild (zhǎngsūn)
Eldest Grandchild (zhǎngsūn)

Postby sandman » 10 Oct 2005, 13:48

Mine purr because they love me. You know, 914 said once in a PM that she thinks she "sometimes loves them (her cats) too much." Well, she's a girly man so it's kind of forgivable, but I'm a MANLY man, and dammit, I found myself thinking the same thing last night.
Cats are uber-cool.
sandman
Manjusri (Wénshū)

Postby yangdemei » 10 Oct 2005, 21:23

And they can purr while inhaling and exhaling. Cats rock. :notworthy:
yangdemei

Postby UKbikerchic » 02 Nov 2005, 20:24

i also read somewhere that cats purr when they are in pain also. :s Now that is confusing, how do you know when it's enjoying something or not. I know my cat purrs when I have to de-pee and de-poo it and I'm sure she doesn't enjoy it. :roll:

My cat also comes and sits on my pillow and purrs when she wants me to get up.
UKbikerchic

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Return to Pets & Other Animals