Click here to go to our new forums at http://tw.forumosa.com
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

Taking an Animal as Excess Baggage

Taking an Animal as Excess Baggage

Postby 914 » 02 Jan 2006, 23:48

I thought I'd let you all know that taking an animal out of Taiwan as excess baggage is actually a really simple procedure. This post is mostly for people who want to help transport an animal but feel iffy about being "responsible" for the animal. We just shipped out Tai the Husky over the weekend and this is what we found:

A few days before departure, during the weekday, you and the exporter need to go to Roosevelt Road Section 4 Lane 113 #9 Phone: 02.2738.7868 (they have locations throughout Taiwan. Call 02.2343.1401 for a location near you).

Actually, you don't even need to touch, like, or care for animals. What is required is that the animal is claimed as your excess baggage, that means, during the flight and once you land, you have to remember you have your own luggages, plus a crate.

At the check-in counter, you'll be asked to fill in some forms. The cost to export a dog and crate varies with the carrier. With EVA it was NT$ 6,272. At that size, the dog and crate counted as two excess baggages. Be at the airport at least two hours before your flight. Once you land, the flight attendant or ground crew should let you know where to claim your animal. I don't think it is really on the conveyor belt...

There is no cost for you at all, as the person responsible for exporting the animal and/or the person on the receiving end at the airport to meet you should be responsible for all costs. If, by chance, you need to pay any duties or fees upon landing, you should be reimbursed that amount (not much) by the new owner.

It is actually really easy peasy. So if you want to help someone bring an animal over but are unsure, this is your chance.

Good luck.
Messages are sent from my iPad so if you find any errors, you may keep them. Myspacebarhasissues.
User avatar
914
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)
 
Posts: 2853
{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }
Joined: 01 Jun 2004, 16:11
Location: YVR to SFO to TPE; Now in semi-retirement in Sky Mother



Postby bobepine » 03 Jan 2006, 00:28

Great info 914.

If you are leaving Taiwan via Kaohsiung, you can call Maggie at 0927069496. She is co-founder of Savedogs in Kaohsiung and they almost always have dogs waiting for a flight opportunity.

bobepine
bobepine
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)
 
Posts: 3290
Joined: 29 Apr 2005, 09:47
Location: Kaohsiung



Postby ktz » 19 Jan 2006, 18:51

I'd have to second the info 914 gave. You can even get your export permit at the airport, but I would reccomend getting at the Bureau in Taipei....it's easier on your nerves!! :lol:

It's so easy, and so helpful, it should be compulsory to foreigners going home...! No really though, it's a great help and I'm certain the doggies are more than grateful.
User avatar
ktz
Càiniǎo
Càiniǎo
 
Posts: 27
Joined: 02 Sep 2005, 11:08



Re: Taking an Animal as Excess Baggage

Postby acearle » 19 Jan 2006, 18:56

914 wrote:I thought I'd let you all know that taking an animal out of Taiwan as excess baggage is actually a really simple procedure. This post is mostly for people who want to help transport an animal but feel iffy about being "responsible" for the animal. We just shipped out Tai the Husky over the weekend and this is what we found:

A few days before departure, during the weekday, you and the exporter need to go to Roosevelt Road Section 4 Lane 113 #9 Phone: 02.2738.7868 (they have locations throughout Taiwan. Call 02.2343.1401 for a location near you).

Actually, you don't even need to touch, like, or care for animals. What is required is that the animal is claimed as your excess baggage, that means, during the flight and once you land, you have to remember you have your own luggages, plus a crate.

At the check-in counter, you'll be asked to fill in some forms. The cost to export a dog and crate varies with the carrier. With EVA it was NT$ 6,272. At that size, the dog and crate counted as two excess baggages. Be at the airport at least two hours before your flight. Once you land, the flight attendant or ground crew should let you know where to claim your animal. I don't think it is really on the conveyor belt...

There is no cost for you at all, as the person responsible for exporting the animal and/or the person on the receiving end at the airport to meet you should be responsible for all costs. If, by chance, you need to pay any duties or fees upon landing, you should be reimbursed that amount (not much) by the new owner.

It is actually really easy peasy. So if you want to help someone bring an animal over but are unsure, this is your chance.

Good luck.


Here here, I took a couple of cats out years back, and it was about the same. VERY simple. U.S. Customs basically said "Poor kitties need to get outta that kennel" when we came through (the guy liked cats :-) ).
acearle
Scooter Commuter (qí jī chē shàng xià bān)
Scooter Commuter (qí jī chē shàng xià bān)
 
Posts: 636
Joined: 19 Jan 2004, 21:31
Location: Denver, CO, United States



Postby 914 » 20 Jan 2006, 01:10

914 wrote:There is no cost for you at all, as the person responsible for exporting the animal and/or the person on the receiving end at the airport to meet you should be responsible for all costs. If, by chance, you need to pay any duties or fees upon landing, you should be reimbursed that amount (not much) by the new owner.


The below is copy and pasted from the "Exporting Animals out of Taiwan" thread.

914 wrote:Fyi, once you land at the Vancouver International Airport, there will be an Import Fee of $ 30 plus GST of $2.10, totalling CDN$32.10 levied by the Canadian Food Inspection Agency for any animals brought in, via the excess baggage route or not. This is payable after you pass through Customs and Immigration.

Just letting you know that there is a last bit of charge once you land at your destination. Well, there is in Vancouver, not sure about other cities.
Messages are sent from my iPad so if you find any errors, you may keep them. Myspacebarhasissues.
User avatar
914
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)
 
Posts: 2853
{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }
Joined: 01 Jun 2004, 16:11
Location: YVR to SFO to TPE; Now in semi-retirement in Sky Mother



Postby Lord Lucan » 31 Jul 2006, 15:07

In this airline literature when they say "animals" they mean cats and dogs. Forget about anything else.
User avatar
Lord Lucan
Almost a God (jīhū shì shén)
Almost a God (jīhū shì shén)
 
Posts: 6876
Joined: 18 Nov 1999, 17:01
Location: Taipei



Postby irishstu » 31 Jul 2006, 15:14

Lord Lucan wrote:In this airline literature when they say "animals" they mean cats and dogs. Forget about anything else.


Lord Lucan's still angry cos they wouldn't let him go on as excess baggage. :p
"I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar."

DIY guitar projects
User avatar
irishstu
Golden Lotus (huángjīn liánhuā)
Golden Lotus (huángjīn liánhuā)
 
Posts: 8721
Joined: 14 Apr 2005, 17:45
Location: At work probably



Postby Lord Lucan » 31 Jul 2006, 15:34

irishstu wrote:
Lord Lucan wrote:In this airline literature when they say "animals" they mean cats and dogs. Forget about anything else.


Lord Lucan's still angry cos they wouldn't let him go on as excess baggage. :p


Ha! Where does it way "no leprechauns" in Cathay Pacific's literature? Eh? Nowhere! That's where!
User avatar
Lord Lucan
Almost a God (jīhū shì shén)
Almost a God (jīhū shì shén)
 
Posts: 6876
Joined: 18 Nov 1999, 17:01
Location: Taipei



Postby random » 08 Aug 2006, 04:23

I think that taking an animal to North America as excess baggage is fine, but just to let those going to the UK know that your animal has to fly as cargo. And as of Oct BA will no longer be the approved DEFRA carrier for pets on the PETS scheme into the UK.
random
Grasshopper (cǎo měng)
 
Posts: 91
Joined: 03 Jun 2004, 21:07



FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.




Return to Pets & Other Animals



Who is online

Forumosans browsing this forum: No Forumosans and 0 guests